View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine Hangover? Foggy for 7 days now

Readytoreset

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, Im new to bluelight and Im here to possibly find some answers. I was raving about 7 days ago and was mixing Ketamine(1g) for the night and (just a bit of Coke here and there). I stayed up for about 36 hours but stopped doing all drugs around hour 23. I drank lots of water and stayed hydrated. I slept about 8 hours and felt great the next day then after 2 strong double expresso’s at work started to feel fatigue later and a bit foggy. Its been about 7 days and the fog is still there and Im a bit worried. Never had a hangover from Ketamine before and I feel like the expresso + Keta combo mightve caused a bad chemical reaction in the brain. Anyone ever have a K hangover or fog that last this long?

1g is a lot of ket if it was decent quality. Maybe the C didn't help too

It was and the quality was decent. It was actually a bit less than a g because I didnt finish it all and was sharing amongst friends but Im lightweight about 140 pounds and it was a stupid of me to do so much. I did drink lots of water before and after and felt quite good the next day but I believe the high intake of Caffeine triggered something bad because Ive never had a hangover from Keta alone and have always done it responsibly in the past to enjoy it. Just had some bad judgement this time around and feeling like I never want to touch it again after this.

If I binge (my tolerance is huuuge so I'll easily put down 10g+ a day) for a week or 2 when I run out I'll stay in bed/sleep/have no motivation for a good 2-3 days

Something to do with the chemicals in your brain

i just wanted to update this in case there’s anybody out there looking for answers to the same problem I had last year, a K hangover. It took me about a month and a half to finally get over it. I was eating healthy and exercising and cut coffee out for a while. I stopped doing any drugs during that time and gave my brain and body a break. It felt like the longest month and a half of my life but Im happy that I got thru that episode of my life.

That's intense. I don't know anyone who experienced what you did, back in the day when all and sundry were in the K big time around these parts.

Glad you're well. :)

Thats insanely long, i wouldn't attribute it to the K i think you must have had some underlying condition, ive been in the k scene for 18+ years, used to sell it, ive met 100s of heavy k heads never once heard of people getting a 'hangover' for that long.
Are you even sure it was real k?
Doesn't sound like it. Or maybe you just reacted weird but even then i doubt you'd be 'hungover' for more than a day or 2
🤷‍♂️

In my experience and somewhat in my subjective opinion most all arylcyclohexylamine dissociatives actually have a far longer duration of aftereffects that most people give them credit for. It's true that the majority of acute aftereffects will be gone within a day or so but in my experience (and again, my opinion, I guess) there are more subtle side effects that can persist for weeks, and can be hard to notice unless either you are specifically looking for them, or are particularly sensitive to them. In my case I think I was both although I kind of ignored it for a long time. Eventually I did start to notice a significant degree of apathy, demotivation, brain-fog which would persist for at least a week after a dissociative binge, although even after starting to remember the predictable pattern of emotional fluctuation I usually only remembered around a week or so post-binge when I would somewhat suddenly start to feel a bit better and would be like "Oh yeah... this is what usually happens".

These "aftereffects" do not necessarily seem to be negative though, a good proportion of people experience them as an afterglow, and the anti-depressant effects of ketamine which are said to persist for a few weeks at least are probably somewhat dependent on whatever mechanism produces this afterglow. Sadly I can't remember ever experiencing it as an afterglow myself, but the fact that this drawn out "hangover" is not necessarily negative is probably a significant factor in the oft-reported minimal length of ketamine-associated aftereffects. Nonetheless, for the aforementioned reasons, it's not actually that surprising to me at all that you experienced a long and drawn out "hangover", as you put it. I think it takes a while to become "attuned" to these effects, if you do experience them negatively, and they may not always have been negative, or even significant in any way, but the character of the ketamine experience and probably aftereffects does have a tendency to change over time, probably partly due to the extremely persistent effects of dissociatives on NMDA receptors which results in the permatolerance often discussed by seasoned ketamine users - so neither is it surprising to me that you didn't experience these effects before but unexpectedly experienced it after a particularly heavy session combined with a stimulant.

I was just about to say finally that I don't think the caffeine had anything to do with it - but, actually, having considered it, in my experience having done too much ketamine in my life and experienced progressively worsening aftereffects, the acute NMDA rebound following a dissociative binge can be made worse by stimulants, and I wouldn't be too surprised if an increased amplitude of NMDA rebound would correlate with significantly increased uncomfortable aftereffects, both in intensity and duration, as happened here. That said - I think the likelihood is that you would have experienced a drawn out hangover anyway, caffeine is a fairly benign stimulant and while it may have made it worse temporarily, it would probably not have massively amplified the duration of the aftereffects, but perhaps it did have the effect of making you more aware of them in a way that you had not been prior to this experience.