Ketamine addiction?

nasty squirrel

Bluelighter
Anyone know anything about physical dependency associated with ketamine use? Obv. there is a potential for psychological addiction, but what about physical?

Unfortunately, it is physically addicting. I am addicted right now and cannot get off it for anything. I get sick and nauseated and feel like shit if i quit. It is a bad thing I got myself into here. I think you have to try to get addicted. I went crazy and was doing 5-10 grams a day for 2 weeks. Now I am paying for it....If anyone has any suggestions on how to get off this shit, please help me.

I've been doing K myself since last november. Out of all the drugs that I have tried I find it to be my favorite. In the Northeast area is not that very easy to obtain and maybe thats what controls my habit the most. Im not sure what 5 to 10 grams are equivalent to in liqs, but my friend and I go through a liq a day. There have been periods when we are able to get so much that we get high everyday for a whole month and then the dry season begins. Im not sure that Im physically addicted. I have never experienced any body withdrals after I stop the use. Sometimes we go a month sober. I think what I feel the most is that I miss it a lot. K to me is the most recreational, fun drug when you compare it to e, coke, weed.

All I can tell ya is that they are just starting to document cases of *Heavy* K addiction. Psychological and Physical. So, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of info out there. Try Psych texts (really recent ones). Maybe a copy of the DSM-IV or some update to the DSM (it's just this book that defines all forms of mental anguish and disorders...dry stuff but informative.) could help ya. But it would be quite recent, since this is a rather new problem.
------------------
Ask Someone: Boxers or Breifs. If they answer "Breifs", you can beat them stupid, it's a narc.
~R.

I really think that K is the acid for the 00's (any other suggestion as to what to call this decade?)
Me and my friends are pretty damn addicted to K. He's trying to to find other drugs to do to cut back his K use. Though i'm pretty sure he's going to become a tweaker and opium addict instead.
I think the only real way to stop or cut back is have a group of friends not do it together.
I've been trying to cut back myself and me and my friends went on a binge and did 3 grams. I've had 3 bumps since then, but that's only because the ppl i'm with usually get K from me.
I think straight willpower would be your best way to go or to scare yourself into it. Read about the side effects of doin to much K. They're pretty damn harsh.
------------------
I LIKE PORK!

I know a recovering hardcore, by-the-case-K-head, who describes the high as " instant nostalgia. "
I think you can get a gram out of a liq' if you cook it right.
I suppose that you haven't a real physical dependence, since your supply is often interrupted.

I've measured it, 13ml vial gets you between 1.0 and 1.1 grams. That takes me a day and a half to finish... a day if I try. My brain simply can't take that much of a beating. You guys are fkng insane to be able to cram 5 grams up there
wink.gif
Even doing vials at a time turned out to be addicting for me (not as much as nicotine)... It's very strong but short lived. After I do a v it takes me about 2-3 days to be done with the cravings (smoking a pack or two in the meantime to kill the crave).
Best way to fight it off for me has been to 1) wait it out and 2) smoke a lot. I think you guys making powder cannons out of your nasal cavities should probably be able to get off of it if you can just wait it out for a week and a half or two... good luck.
And yeah, I agree with whoever said that k is the acid for the new millenium (gay?). As soon as that disorientation sets in, I'm in heaven. It makes me incredibly logical too. If I ever have a problem, it places me in a completely objective mindset. Other sides to my problems come into my head, ideas that I'd never think of regularly. I miss that stuff dearly.

Who decides the difference between physical and psycological dependency?
From what I've read and experienced K is not really a drug of physical dependency. When I realised that it was not working anymore (after shooting up about a gram a night)I just stopped taking it. It took a few hundred dollars(@$150AUS per gram)before I realised I'd burnt out all the brain cells utilised to go on the amazing journey I went on but once I realised I'd fucked up I lost the desire to find that other world I thought I was so on the brink of discovering.
If it makes sense, I think it was the physical changes (ie. depletion of relevent brain cells) that broke my psycological dependence on K.
Erowid has an artical titled something like "Dissociatives, the bad news is here". It is excellent and for me it was very true to form.
Good luck to those of you who have a problem with K. It's a shame reality is so ugly to some of us that we scream down K street so dsperately looking for a nicer place to park. The lot is full I'm afraid. Reality is the only place with any parking space. Knowing this I still think I'm trying to find mine?
[This message has been edited by Benzo (edited 16 July 2001).]

K is possibly the most psychologically addicting drug there is. The promises of a new world, a new life, contact with God, etc. are the addiction.
I believe the article is "Your Brain on Dissociatives," which is one of the worst articles anywhere on erowid. Thankfully, the people at frognet pulled it so you can't read it anymore.
It is not physically addicting, your body doesn't need it. But your mind does. Psychological means it's in your head. Physical addiction can be fatal as your body forgets how to operate without a drug.
K in it's pure pharmaceutical grade form is 100mg/mL. I have no idea how much is in a liq.

I suppose I stand corrected.
smile.gif

But , I will add, that it took my "friend" a few weeks to get his head back together, after runnin out of K and money to re-up-- not to mention his job--because of his lack of self control and plain common sense; I mean shit! Don't do a bump as I drop you off to go to work, and expect your employer to be as dumb as you and not notice or care that your haven't all your usual faculties about you.

AbraMontague - you say this with such conviction. Is this from experience? Observation? Study?

K addiction is very, very real. at the present time it is busy destroying the lives of at least three party kids i know. personally, and i've heard rumors about others. it's my understanding, tho, that you need to pop K (shoot it) to get really hooked, since you can do much more K at one time from popping than snorting it.
i posted a question online a few months ago about whether you could die from a K OD and if anyone knew anyone who'd died (on the mw-raves list). oh. yeah. i got at least a dozen very sad emails from people who'd lost good friends to K overdoses. every one of them was from popping K.
k is very cool and intense to experiment with. but i everyone in my town knows who the junkies are, and it's getting worse.

No you can't overdose from K. The psychedelic dose is a tenth of the surgical dose they inject into 5 year olds. People have been accidentally injected with 10 times the surgical dose and come round with not even a headache. It's probably one of the safest drugs physically on the planet.

i used to agree with you, based on the Erowid literature i've read. but i've met at least 4 people who claim that they know someone who'd died from a K overdose. what can i say? they were very serious and upset, so i was inclined to beleive them. obviously, it could have been a bad interaction with another drug, as all the worst K od's i've witnessed were caused by that. i've never seen anyone die from a K overdose, but i have seen some very scary things, situations that ended with a trip to the hospital. besides, they put animals to sleep with K, so it *is* lethal. i know the LD50 is very high, but junkies are always pushing the limit... like i said, the people i have spoken to were not joking, so i beleive them.
[This message has been edited by catnap (edited 20 August 2001).]

Am i missing something here? I have done K on many different occasions, and have experienced a lot of other drugs, but I just don't get the love affair w/ K. I guess it's probablly a disassociative thing, you either love it or hate it? or maybe it has adverse effects on me compared to others? For me it makes me confused, makes it hard to dance, hard to move, and in general makes me feel like shit... so what am i missing?
-e

They may claim they had friends who died of a K overdose but it's impossible. 100 grams has been injected into people accidentally and it didn't even give the a headache.
Perhaps 200-500 grams of K would cause you some damage. Most people would be completly unconscious after snorting a gram never mind half a kilo. Unless someone kept injecting you while you were unconscious you could never administer that much K to yourself.
They might have drank 20 pints of beer, snorted heroin, coke and speed and then taken K and called it a "K overdose" but it certainly wasn't anything to do with using pure K by itself.
I don't think they use ketamine by itself to kill animals, they'd have to mix it with a sedative to depress breathing. They use K as the precursor to lethal injection in humans too, put the K in to put them to sleep and then add the sedative to depress breathing.
[This message has been edited by Peyote,K (edited 21 August 2001).]

well, i believe that i was psychologically addicted to k for awhile. i wanted it all the time. if someone would MENTION k, i would automatically give them money.
a couple months ago i decided to quit. it was VERY hard at first. i had people offering it to me all the time because i was so into k. but all it really takes is strong willpower. the last time i took k, i said it would be the last time in a long time, if not ever. just surround yourself with friends who will support your decision. that's pretty much has been what's helped me the most. i don't even think about k anymore and don't have the desire to do it.
just figure out what's the best route for you.
~Susan

ranebow, i totally feel you on this.
doing too much k is ultimately what lead me to go completely sober recently. although i felt physical effects from quitting, i think the dependence was actually psychological in nature. i think the physical effects i felt were just from being depressed from not knowing what i was going to do with my time, and from being afraid that i wasnt really going to be able to pull it off.
theres something about doing too much k that makes me feel like a drug fiend. much more so than, say, doing too much e or shrooms.
go figure.
------------------
"we must be the change we wish to see in the world." -gandhi