• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Karma Rules My Life Now

vibrancy3

Bluelighter
Okay so this started a little while back (before ''my name is earl'' lol)

I found anything negative i said or done had repercussions on my life (not just be abusive to someone and get it back) but more in depth than that like if i was to slightly rip of an ''aquaintence'' who bruoght some weed or chems the next time i have connexion with a girl or friend it would b lost for what i have done

None the less (you see where this is going) i choose to follow a life of karma, but it seems as if i'm taking wayyyy 2 seriously now..........

For example, i wont slag anyone of on the interent in a jokey mannor for worries all those times i do that will build up to curse me down in a massive bad karma cloud. Fuck i even base my life on a systerm of karma points (help a builder carry some bricks onto a site on way back from college, ''yess +5 karma points up''

So anyway what i want to know am i just taking this 2 seriously now, should i jsut not give a fuck do bad things n do good things, thatsd how a human lives therre lives or continue this method of karma point madness lolol

Although karma isn't a strong belief of mine, I do think there is some element of truth to the saying "what goes around comes around." For instance, many times when I've been generous to people (without expecting anything in return), something good has unexpectedly come my way. And on the other hand, if someone has wronged me, they usually end up having some shit done to them. ;)

when will this go away ?
youngsters in the west romanticizing eastern superstitions is so ridiculous . visit the east and your bubble will be burst - you will see how hopeless and miserable are the people who have been sucking up karma-dharma , etc.
the caste system still exists - that's certainly a sign of an enlightened bunch !

one's code of conduct is an easy thing to develop and only suffers from adding superstitious nonsense (religious, pseudo religious concepts).

treat people as you would have them treat you doesn't contain any woo woo bullshit but if utilized in regular daily interactions, will smooth out one's life.

when will this go away ?
youngsters in the west romanticizing eastern superstitions is so ridiculous . visit the east and your bubble will be burst - you will see how hopeless and miserable are the people who have been sucking up karma-dharma , etc.
the caste system still exists - that's certainly a sign of an enlightened bunch

Well its hardly romanticizing an eastern superstition, i see karma as more of a syncronised way of life (only like i said i think into it 2 much?) unless that means something else

Also how are the society in the east that beleive in karma so ''homeless and miserable'' i'm abit lost by what you said.

Yerr i think into it a little 2 much, but that does not mean i am hopeless and miserable, neiter anyone else

one's code of conduct is an easy thing to develop and only suffers from adding superstitious nonsense (religious, pseudo religious concepts

Also just to add i am not religious, and i thuoght karma came from ''budda'' who preaches ''peace'' and not religion

(well something round those lines if im not entirely precise)

I use the expression karma points too OP, but I don't take it all that seriously.

Heaven and hell concepts make God a great behavioralist in the sky, which is really trite by my tastes. If there is a God hopefully she has a bit more going on than getting us rats to run some mazes in the right way to avoid shocks and find some cheese Karma, when every action is about creating a pleasant personal future or avoiding a unpleasant future also strikes me as the same sort of trite rationale for behavior.

A desire to believe that the universe is fair or that God is fair is understandable, karma is probably a little better than heaven or hell because heaven or hell often has an "all in" component to it that is really irrational and unaesthetic to me.

I find atheists who live ethically because they desire to live in concert with their personal ideals pretty ethically pure. A trading stamp or customer reward program as the motive for behaving well towards others doesn't work well for me.

vibrancy3 said:
So anyway what i want to know am i just taking this 2 seriously now, should i jsut not give a fuck do bad things n do good things, thatsd how a human lives therre lives or continue this method of karma point madness lolol
If it has become unappealing to you or it is striking you as madness, you have probably outgrown the system you were using. I think after discarding the previous system and rationale for living a "good life" you will find another. I think many people who think they are living a good life for the customer rewards program conception of karma or the heave as a grand prize and hell as the ultimate condemnation are actually living the way they do because it suites their aesthetic sense of self to live in concert with their personal ideals of human behavior.

Karma points as a mental note taking method will likely persist habitually but I think the fact you call it "karma point madness" indicates you are already pretty well over that system.

@hobhead: Rationality and secularity are not inextricable. Plenty of people have done irrational things in a secular context. Besides, the issue of Buddhism-as-a-religion is a contentious one to say the least. :)

@vibrancy: My take is that if it works for you and doesn't cause problems in your life, then it's probably fine. I'm not a fan of point-counting myself, but if your system improves your life and your interactions with others, then you can't be going too wrong.

The way I see it, it's best to maximise positive interactions and minimise negative ones. It's important to remember, however, that some negatives are unavoidable, and some positives are... I won't say "unattainable" but perhaps "prudently declined"?

I like your thoughts there enki.........

yerr i'm preety sure i will continue to incorparate karma into my life, it seems lke its wired into ya brain now (like when some1 is making fun of some1, makes sense to defend them...) i just need to dull it down abit i tink and if i dont give a homeless guy 50p it wont b the end lol

Personally the heaven and hell concept i would'nt mind @ all if you did'nt have shall i say the evil doing of christanity (IMO really against religion, but respeckt all who it works 4 in life)

@hobhead: Rationality and secularity are not inextricable. Plenty of people have done irrational things in a secular context. Besides, the issue of Buddhism-as-a-religion is a contentious one to say the least. :)

@vibrancy: My take is that if it works for you and doesn't cause problems in your life, then it's probably fine. I'm not a fan of point-counting myself, but if your system improves your life and your interactions with others, then you can't be going too wrong.

The way I see it, it's best to maximise positive interactions and minimise negative ones. It's important to remember, however, that some negatives are unavoidable, and some positives are... I won't say "unattainable" but perhaps "prudently declined"?

the western romanticizing of eastern religions yields me a full measure of enjoyment . as a fellow who lived and worked in asia - i can assure you that buddism is a religion and just as much a simpleminded superstitious one as any other western or eastern one .

you either have your own developed code of ethics or waste your time looking for dogmatic answers in old superstitious constructs .

I think your letting your ego get in the way hobhead ''simpleminded superstitous''

karma just doesnt work if your thinking about it...its a retrospective thing.

I.e. its not real and your mind creates the good/bad things happening.

i suggest you give up on this idea and learn to play go instead to balance out the lack of eastern ideas in your life :D