• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Just went into HARD wd but take methadone? What is happening?

Just wanted to throw one other thing out. I went through a whole stack of Movantik samples I got through my doctor to try. Insurance never covered them but the samples worked well. These were taken orally and are an opioid antagonist. I never once went into withdrawals. This is just another example of what happens to bio-availability on these types of drugs.

R13

Bupenorphine will send someone who has opiates in their system into instant withdrawal. It's called precipitated withdrawal. It's a thousand times worse than "typical" withdrawal. Nothing will get you out of it. You either have to take a crap ton of opiates to try & flood your receptors by pushing the bupe out OR you just have to wait it out. The nurses at my clinic confirmed this. (I knew it before I asked them I just wanted the confirmation from them). There's a warning on the suboxone website about Precipitated withdrawal. And elsewhere online.

I know I need to be 100% sure before going in & accusing the clinic of mixing meds up. I felt horrible even saying the words out loud to my counselor there. But I definitely wouldn't have said anything to them unless I was absolutely positive that I went into precipitated withdrawal. I have gone through the process of elimination, common sense, the severity of what I went through, the nurse's reaction when I told her what happened to me (there was this light bulb moment I saw on her face when she asked me what day the mix up happened/what time it happened, as she kept checking her computer like she knew something went down that particular). She kept saying that guy nurse was NEVER coming back (like he was incompetent or something) so not to worry about it happening again. Plus the fact that I have no friends anymore so there was no chance of just 1 of those 4 bottles being tainted by anyone else but the clinic. Then there was the weird looking thick crap inside the one take home bottle that didn't look normal that the nurses said they would test. (Don't think they will, the Bottles are probably long gone by now).

I went and got my records from ER yesterday. Urine drug test results are weird. Everything said negative. Even methadone said negative but had "abnormal" next to it. How that is possible, I have no clue. I've been taking methadone for years so there had to have been some still in my system. The hospital unfortunetly doesn't test for bupenorphine. I was hoping they would. I asked the lab how I could get them to test for that specifically but they told me my urine & blood samples are probably gone.

So besides what I physically went through, I have no actual evidence left. I had to give the clinic my bottle back. I doubt the clinic held onto & tested it like the nurse implied she would. I think I will be transferring as soon as I can from there. Their lack of sympathy towards me for their horrendous mistake speaks volumes as to what kind of place this really is. Or maybe I'll just wean & try to get off this crap altogether. I hate being so dependant on this stuff.

From another thread in here...

"Bupe has a high affinity for the receptor site. Trying to use an opiate with a lower affinity will be "blocked" only because it can't bind. If you had an opiate with a higher affinity it would knock the bupe off. When you wait, some of the bupe is filtered out of your body/unbound from receptors, and it leaves room for other opiates to bind.

Subutex does not have naloxone. Suboxone does. Orally you can take Naloxone with long acting opiates for constipation. Naloxone would take you into immediate withdrawals if used correctly. Bup from my understanding will not.

R13

with bupe you need to be in withdrawals before you take it, to avoid precipitated withdrawals.
Is that what you mean by "used correctly"?

Buprenorphine has a really high binding affinity, but i've never heard of it being effective orally - its oral BA is ~15%
The oral route of drug administration was not pursued because substantial first-pass metabolism of buprenorphine led to limited oral bioavailability of approx 15%
(From this article "Controlled Drug Administration Studies of High-Dose Buprenorphine in Humans").

So, while it is of course possible that it was suboxone/subutex (ie buprenorphine) that caused this, i'm inclined to think that it's one of the least likely possibilities.

How many doses of methadone are in each take-home bottle?
Because i suspect that if bupe has a 15% bioavailability, and this is further diluted (i assume?) in a bottle with other doses - is that right?
Or does one bottle = one dose of 79mg?

The reason being, that supplies of ORT drugs - and all controlled narcotics - are very tightly regulated in any environment, especially a methadone clinic.
Supplies of surplus suboxone would not just be sitting around, and i highly doubt that any of the patients there would be easily fleeced out of their daily dose. Each one would have to be signed off on, and i imagine there are a number of systems in place to prevent theft, adulteration and so on.

If the nurse (who apparently doesn't work there any more) was caught doing shady things (like stealing, diluting or adulterating drugs) i would imagine the clinic would be obliged (ethically, if not legally) to inform you of this, following your intense, out-of-the-blue WDs.
Even if they were caught making honest (but bad) mistakes and subsequently dismissed, the clinic would have a duty of care to inform you, because an error in dosing someone could cause overdose.
And with any drug so heavily monitored, every millilitre would have to be accounted for - as would every suboxone strip.
These strips are packaged individually in a sealed package, so they're not something that a worker could dole out randomly to 'surprise' unlucky patients.

I think suboxone is one of the least likely culprits here.

There is no obvious answer to me as to what i think may have happened to you, but i think the likelihood of it being suboxone is pretty low.
Not impossible, but simply unlikely.

Have you ever experienced methadone withdrawals prior to this? Ever been prevented from being able to dose for a day or two somehow? I just wonder because the suddenness and intensity you describe sound really full on. But the human body is a pretty complicated thing - there are plenty of mysteries still in medicine, and especially in our understanding (and treatment of) addiction.

Sounds like a really unpleasant experience and it must be frustrating that you've not had much help in pinning down the cause of it.
Is it possible for you to request your clinic drug test you?

Bupe can stay in your system for a pretty long time, and may still be detectable if this happened to you ~4 days ago.
I suspect (through logical deduction but absolutely no evidence) that bupe is unlikely to have found its way into your methadone - then into your system - in a high enough dose to cause precip WD.

But having a further urinalysis done at the clinic should be able to rule this in or out.

I think R13 makes some really interesting points about gastrointestinal issues that could hinder, or prevent absorption.
I'm not pretending to have any answers - just attempting to apply "Occam's razor"

Last edited:
Although I don't have any first hand experience with this, even though the BA makes it impractical for therapeutic use, I have been told oral ingestion can still lead to enough buprenorphine getting absorbed into the system can precipitate withdrawal.

I don't doubt that, but it would have to mean that there is a pretty high concentration of bupe in the solution for it to be active enough to cause PWD.

I could be totally wrong, but it just seems highly unlikely for a mix-up like this to occur.
Any deliberate tampering of these drugs would probably lead the staff involved to face criminal prosecution.

On the other hand, seems to me to be a very unlikely mistake.

I'm just going off what the likelihood of each scenario is. It's a serious matter with massive implications, and the clinic brushing it off - and ER not being much help either - makes me very curious.

Just based on logical deduction, i can't see how a mix-up could happen. One drug is in liquid form, the other comes in a strong tasting solid strip that is packaged in a sealed packet (or less commonly i think, in pill form).
It's not like "oops, wrong pills", or even "oops, wrong bottle" (containing whatever). They're both dispensed (and stored) in completely different forms.
It seems to me that the tight controls on each drug make carelessness (to the point of dissolving one drug into the other) hard to fathom, likewise human error.
Malicious dosing of the wrong meds is possible, but what motivation would a nurse have to do such a thing? The litigation costs - and legal risk - of spiking unsuspecting ORT patients seems really unlikely, unless there is more to the story than we know.
But there are just so many factors that make me question how - or why - a mix up could - or would - happen.

Yes, bupe will dissolve oved time in liquid, but i wonder if the OP tasted any difference from their usual dose? What is the volume of liquid for each dose of methadone?

Suboxone has a horrid synthetic citrus flavour, like floor cleaner or something - and if it is dissolved in a small amount of liquid (i don't know much about methadone or its taste in solution) i imagine it would be detectable through taste and/or smell.
It would have to be pretty concentrated, i would imagine, in that scenario.
I suppose a generic bupe preparation would have completely different properties (taste, smell), but i don't know what is available where the OP is located.

I'm simply assessing the variables, and i'm not convinced the suboxone explanation makes the most sense - and it's important for the guy to
a) not have to go through this again, and
b) not expect apologies or admissions of wrongdoing from the clinic based on speculation that this thread/discussion may have convinced them to be true. The last thing the guy wants to do is make accusations which may not be true - and the more thoroughly the situation is analysed, the more explanations may be able to be teased out.

But i think settling on the explanation that 'the clinic fucked up' without any solid evidence could do more harm than good.
If you're convinced that the clinic somehow put buprenorphine or an opioid antagonist in your methadone solution, i would raise this with them directly and request that they do a follow up urine test, if the clinic hasn't done so already.

The bupe explanation seems like a simple explanation, but i think there are a few reasons why it is so unlikely. I could be wrong, but if it is something related to highly backed up GI tract, that's something the OP is really going to need to sort out so this doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Oh totally, I agree there are a lot of reasons to treat this with skepticism. Like you mention, there are so many ways MMT is so highly regulated that something like this happening is highly, highly unlikely. That said, I've had takehomes given to me with someone else dose before, so one never knows. But IMO this is all beside the point. If something like that might have happened, there isn't much one can do accept finding another, hopefully better clinic and moving on. The fact buprenorphine getting combined with a dose of methadone being so unlikely also suggests moving on would be best.

yeah, and ultimately, if there is another explanation for this (something physiological) the OP really needs to work out what it isa so this doesn't happen again.
i wouldn't wish precipitated withdrawal upon my worst enemy.

...well, maybe my worst enemy, but it ain't no joke.

yeah, and ultimately, if there is another explanation for this (something physiological) the OP really needs to work out what it isa so this doesn't happen again.

Agreed. It sounds like this was a one off kind of thing, but I'd be very concerned if it were to happen again and want to take preventive measures.

Any chance the incompetent former nurse could have introduced naltrexone into the take-homes? Again, this seems unlikely. But oral naltrexone obviously has high oral bioavailability and it will precipitate WDs like crazy.

Reading through the OPs story, it does sound like that nurse likely fucked something up. Maybe some misguided effort to divert methadone for himself by adulterating take-homes?

Buprenorphine getting mixed with the methadone is very unlike, but I think naltrexone getting mixed with it would be even more unlikely (unless the nurse or someone was out to get them).

Any chance the incompetent former nurse could have introduced naltrexone into the take-homes? Again, this seems unlikely. But oral naltrexone obviously has high oral bioavailability and it will precipitate WDs like crazy.

that would seem more likely to me. Suboxone would be far harder to divert, and would - for instance - be re-sellable. Not worth risking stealing it, only to slip it into some poor methadone patient's take-homes.
If so, that's a seriously sadistic thing to do...
I wonder if you have any sort of local support services you could approach with your story and see if it happened to anyone else as well.
If you were slipped an opioid antagonist in your methadone, you'd be well within your rights to take legal action or make a formal complaint, especially if the clinic knew about it and knowingly covered it up from you.

simco said:
Reading through the OPs story, it does sound like that nurse likely fucked something up. Maybe some misguided effort to divert methadone for himself by adulterating take-homes?

Definately possible - i think adulteration (for theft) or simply spiking the take-homes with naltrexone or naloxone out of spite (or something?) makes more sense than putting suboxone in there, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
If it is gastric... It will happen again. That I think will end up determining things. I just hope the OP ends up initiating a bowel regime before doing damage or creating a toxic situation. Long term opiate use can definitely tear up your bowels really fast. Another factor is Opiate links to immune suppression. This again links into getting backed up and toxin build up.

If your going to do opiates long term you really have to take good care of yourself.

Anyways... Info was given. Hope it works out for the OP.

R13

They don't dose suboxone there. They will give you a prescription to fill on your own for suboxone strips. What they do dose there is methadone liquid & subutex tablets.

I think the nurse put in a subutex tablet or two into an empty bottle meant for another client. Maybe the other client went to take a urine test or maybe this nurse would fill subutex into empty take home bottles because all the empty bottles are all sitting there on the counter waiting to be filled & capped & labeled when a client comes back to get their dose/doses. The clinic was really busy that day. So somehow he had to have thought the bottle was empty, poured my methadone dose(79mgs) on top of the tabs that were already in the bottom of the bottle.

I should have taken photos of the empty bottles before I turned them in. The one bottle in question had thick, milky pink looking droplets on the inside of the bottle up towards the top. It didn't look at all like the other 3 bottles I had with the normal looking methadone drops inside them. It was obviously different. When I compared them I started shaking with anger. Cause I knew what had happened to me but that was the confirmation I needed that something else was in my methadone dose to cause the instant withdrawal I experienced.

It could still be in your system if you were to have a urine test.
I know it might be difficult to arrange, but do you have a doctor or someone you have contact with in the clinic?

Tomorrow will be 7 days since it happened. I doubt it would be in my system still. I have the results from urinalysis plus the other tests from the ER Friday & unfortunetly they don't automatically test for bupenorphine. I was surprised to see this when I picked up my records yesterday. I was so hoping bupe was listed with the rest of the drugs but its not. The hospital lab told me my blood & urine samples are probably long gone so requesting they test for it now isn't a possibility. Trust me I asked how I could get that done & how much it would cost. Lol - What is extremely weird is the methadone result showed up as negative with an A next to it for "abnormal". I mean, I was in ridiculously hard withdrawal when they got the samples from me. I was about maybe 4 ish hours into it by the time I gave my urine at ER. But how did the test show no methadone in my system at all when I've been dosing daily for years unless most of it was gone by the time they got the sample from me? But that kind of doesn't make sense. I doubt the subutex would have already kicked out all the methadone from my system in that short amount of time. Maybe it kicked enough of it out & is why it came up abnormal? Idk but weird.

I don't go back into the clinic until next Monday. I requested to meet with my counselor Monday morning. I am just unsure of what to do. Or say now. I still feel like for the clinic to ignore what they did to me is highly fucked up.

If I was in this situation and couldn't getting it tested right away wasn't practical, I'd probably save some urine and order some buprenorphine test for it.

I still feel like for the clinic to ignore what they did to me is highly fucked up.
Agreed.
When you explain it as you did in your second last post, i see that it could have been a mistake on their behalf - but it's extremely neglegent and troubling that they didn't seem interested in helping you work out what had happened. You could have had a serious car accident, being behind the wheel when the precipitated withdrawals began.

As it was, it sounds like a really horrific ordeal.

Last edited:
Which drug causes someone that's been taking methadone forever to go into instant withdrawal?

Suboxone
subutex
Vivitrol
Naloxone

Anyone know?

I keep saying subutex because I'm pretty sure the clinic only doses methadone & subutex at the window.