View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Jolt when nodding off

Psyder2

Greenlighter
I've started getting an effect when going to sleep where I suddenly jolt up thinking I'm dying - it's a bit like either lack of air or heart stoppage. It's along similar lines to the jolt where you think you're falling but a lot worse. I'm a fairly infrequent user of LSD and also get it more after Kundalini yoga sessions.

Maybe I'm just developing sleep apnoea.

Any similar experiences / insights?

I think this is completely normal for just about all people. I get that. All my life. I would not worry it almost feels like your heart stopped. (it didn't but feels like falling and heart stopping) Apnea is something different I believe. (don't quote me on this). But jolting like a shock seems normal. There is a term but can not think of it now.

Sleeping has some fascinating effects. I never experienced it but Sleep Paralysis sounds crazy. Scary but crazy. And that seems more normal. Apnea is a real medical condition but people I know that have it don't get jolted awake. They almost don't know it happens.

But I would like to see other opinions. Also I am not a doctor so it is just my opinion. And if jolting awake is a medical thing then I have suffered with it all my life.

This used to happen to me all the time when I was younger, I would suddenly jerk awake because it felt like, for a second, I was falling off a cliff or something. It never happens anymore though for some reason, hasn't in a long time.

Any time I use a moderate dose of phenibut I jolt awake gasping for air for a night or two afterwards.

Yep hypnagogic jerks. I get them every night. They suck, and you never really get used to them, but they don't scare me that much anymore. Sometimes they will be so powerful I have pulled a muscle in my back.

Most commonly hypnagogic jerks can be due to: drug & alcohol abuse, schizophrenia and other sleep disturbances or neurological problems.

Mine started after years of drug abuse, sleep deprivation and ultimately schizophrenic break.

They are fairly common when it comes to sleep issues.

The jerks are always accompanied by some hallucinations: A loud noise, someone screaming, someone calling my name, or even tactile like feeling a bowling ball land on my bed.

Last edited:
My drug worker explained this to me. He used to get them on methadone. He said it's your body's way of practically keeping you alive. I dunno though - if I've got that completely right - but I would double check that. I get similar when climbing back down from an alcohol binge. But I dunno if that's different so sorry if this is a useless post.

Thanks for your experiences, nice to know it's not just me. I was wondering/hoping that I might be making my way through Grofs BPM3 stage (birth canal suffocation) in which case it may start to go away with more trips. Alternatively, it could be caused by LSD messing with my brain, in which case it will get worse with more trips.
Some people on the net recommend taking magnesium after the evening meal.

hoping that I might be making my way through Grofs BPM3 stage (birth canal suffocation) in which case it may start to go away with more trips.
I have no idea if I had this, but I did have a major difficulty during birth in which my head was tilted backwards and I could not obtain vaginal birth. My mother had an emergency c-section and we both survived, luckily. I've never had any nightmares or anything. Is that a thing?

Alternatively, it could be caused by LSD messing with my brain, in which case it will get worse with more trips.
Both my hypnagogic hallucinations and hypnagogic jerks become less severe the longer it's been since I've dosed LSD. I was using every 10-14 days for years at a time. It's certainly directly related

Some people on the net recommend taking magnesium after the evening meal.
People say a lot of things on the internet. Do your own research, or ask here. Personally I've never heard this, except for a very general "take mag supplements" things.

hey, I have not had this since COVID, does it mean anything?

I never experienced it but Sleep Paralysis sounds crazy.
yeah I have it a few times a year. most of the times it sucks and is scary. I am still asleep but my mind recognises that my body cannot move at all. then usually I feel a malicious being coming close and freaking me out. then it takes seemingly forever to make myself move and then I wake up.

The only time where it wasn't bad was when I was taking a nap on night shift and thought that a cute coworker came and cuddled up to me. that was kinda hot and I was disappointed when I woke up and the dream faded :D

i ONLY GET THAT WEN I GET LIKE 5 OR 6 DAYS CLEAN OFF OPIATES SO i GUESSED.THOUGHT ITS FROM WITHDRAWAL OFF BENZOS OR OPIATES OR BOTH SINCE THE WHOLE FAKE PILL/PRESS DIES CAME OUT FOR BARS I STAYED AWAY FROM ALL PHARMS i HAD A FRIEND THAT HAD PRESSED/FAKE /WEAK XANAX FROM WALGREENS AND WIT ALL THE DEATHS FROM A FEW FRIENDS I DECIDED NO MORE ITS BEEN OVER 4 YEARS USED TO B NICE TO B ABLE TO GRAB A FEW ON PILL HILL BUT NO NOT ANYMORE. TOO TOO SKETCHY AND VISUALLY IN SOME CASES CANT EVEN TELL THE DIFFERENCE LOOKIN AT FAKES VS. GENERIC ONLY ONES ILL DEAL WIT IS THE WAFER XANAX (THE NAME BRAND DISSOLVE AND HIT LIKE A TRAIN.

when i was dosing LSD every week or 5 days increasing large amounts it really affected my sleep on the days off jolting awake alot feeling impending doom and i would have intense dreams of dying and merging into infinity as i processed the energy from all the overcharging i did with lsd

For me, this stems from sleep-dep. The more days in a row (nights, rather) I don’t get at least 6 hours, the more frequent these jerks are.
For me, it’s always just as I’m falling asleep and I’ll have a dream setup like falling off a bike or something and wake to “catch” myself.
Kinda like it, but not ones so violent that it’d pull my back out!

My drug worker explained this to me. He used to get them on methadone. He said it's your body's way of practically keeping you alive. I dunno though - if I've got that completely right - but I would double check that. I get similar when climbing back down from an alcohol binge. But I dunno if that's different so sorry if this is a useless post.
Indeed. Everything our bodies do is towards that goal.

Symptoms, conditions, flutters, are all part of the process.

I too, can relate to this experience described here. But like @Xorkoth its more like a memory, like it was a common thing when younger, it never alarmed me, and actually I associate it with being in an able condition to access good sleep and rest.

Maybe the fact that I never am these years, plus the fact I’m never even close to straight, is related to me not seeing it nowayears.

I would normally, always feel better after these little flutters, cliff falls.

It almost felt like a reset button of sorts was pressed.

I would take the experience as a good sign your body is working well and you have sufficient energy. Those seem to be constant conjunctions from my own experience.

I had that happen a few times on Methadone also.

Never done an opioid myself, so I think these are things we all get, frequency varying for various reasons.