• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Jesus not son of God = more meaning

First I don't know when the epic of Gilgamesh was written. Nobody does. Same for Genisis.

They've dated the Epic of Gilgamesh to roughly 2000 BC.
Moses lived / died, if indeed he did, around 1300 BC.
(Why do you keep misspelling Genesis?)

But if EOG was in writing before Genesis ( btw I stated comprised by Moses) was in writing it doesn't make it the inspired and approved word of God.

No, it doesn't.
I never said it did.

You're not paying attention, and I'm tired of repeating myself.

They've dated the Epic of Gilgamesh to roughly 2000 BC.
Moses lived / died, if indeed he did, around 1300 BC.
(Why do you keep misspelling Genesis?)

No, it doesn't.
I never said it did.

You're not paying attention, and I'm tired of repeating myself.
Man, Im on a smart phone I barely look at what I type.
I agree this one is going nowhere...

It's hard to be definitive when it comes to myths or Religions. The Vedic sagas were extant for possibly thousands of years before they were written down - if someone heard them and went off to (say) China and wrote them down the 'evidence' would say they were started in China. That might easily have occurred with the parts of the Genesis story and the Gilgamesh poem. Personally I don't think so, but such possibilities make it difficult to be so dogmatic about such things.

One of the reasons we are in the condition we are is because disasters broke the Master/Apprentice chain in too many places - only the some of the stories survived and the meanings were lost. There used to be occupations where people were chosen as children to learn sagas and they could repeat thousands of stanzas, word perfect, so they could be passed down the generations. It's a skill that writing devalued.

To get back to the topic though, there is some evidence that the books removed as biblical texts by Constantine at Nicaea were those which jeld Jesus to be a man, not the son of God. The Roman Church and Constantine wanted an end to the infernal bickering among the various Christian sects - didn't work too well because they still bicker like bitches to this day. :D So they chose a divine Jesus to give the imprimatur of God to the Church so it could be an ultimate Authority giving power to the Emperor.

Jesus as a Man would be a different religion today - he might have inspired more people to strive to find their own path... or maybe the Church would have died when the people realised they were just other people trying to lord it over the populace. :D

I always thought that the idea of Jesus being divine negated a lot of other teachings of the church, namely the idea that god has granted his children free-will. I fear that the Jews who urged for Jesus' crucifixion were pushed into it without their making any sort of choice. God intended for himself to be killed, thus overriding the essential freedom of choice god has apparently given humans (I've said it before, god-given free will is an absolute misnomer).

-What was the origin of Pontius Pilate's wife's forbidding dream? Did god send that? Why would he do so, when it was his plan to have Jews* kill him? If God didn't send this prophetic dream, who did? Is there another divine player here? According to Jesus, there is not.

(*- a secondary effect, condemn the innocent Jews to exile and genocide. A bit of a thoughtless decision for a timeless master who already knew about the ensuing Holocaust)

-Jesus, being god, knew that his death would simply return him to his place as eternal master of everything; I must say, that certainly makes his sacrifice seem negligible, doesn't it? I would have no fear of pain or death (though yes, some anxiety sure) if I knew that, literally, paradise awaited me. Thanks Jesus, you have made your crucifixion as meaningful as the brief pain of an anaesthetist's needle before dental work.

-Jesus forgave us our innate sinfulness. Jesus, you are god, you made us- this sinfulness is your design, You MUST have intended it because You can make no mistakes- if You can, You are not God. So You made us sinful and weak and then punished us for eternity. Whats worse, You then want us to worship You because You forgave us for a mistake that You made! You Evil Fucker! :D

-Much of the passion is preordained, in keeping with God's timelessness and disregard for free-will. God knew that Peter would deny him, 3 times. He didn't say "You might do this" to Peter- he said it unequivocally. Again, it seems god is manipulating us into actions we would not otherwise necessarily undertake to fulfil an aim known only to god, and with a sort of spiraling logic that is meaningful only to god and confusing to us.

I don't believe even for a second that Jesus was the son of god. His sacrifice is meaningless if that is the case, because there was no risk or danger involved at all, no loss and no sacrifice. Christians talk about Jesus' death, but the whole point is that he did not die at all, and yet we are told he did die- for our sins. Seeing as he did not die, according to the New Testament, and that one cannot be forgiven for sins they have not comitted, Jesus, you have achieved nothing.

If Jesus was a human, I admire anyone who is willing to die, painfully and slowly, for their beliefs. Sadly, this is not what christians say and so I agree, that Jesus being Son of God is almost void of meaning.

If Jesus was a human, I admire anyone who is willing to die, painfully and slowly, for their beliefs. Sadly, this is not what christians say and so I agree, that Jesus being Son of God is almost void of meaning.
That's IF he died... :D Seems to be plenty of rumour and circumstantial evidence, as well as a couple of eradicated groups who believed otherwise.

I don't think he actually died, but he went through the death process like everyone else before he was released from the cross and later revived. But people were led to believe he did, he chose to let them. So in our eyes it's just as if he died, or from what we know of his life anyway, and the story that's been given us.

But there have always been myths that he lived on and went to settle in France and founded the Gnostic/Essene Cathar beliefs, which was very beautiful and a much more mystic form of spirituality with Eastern elements like reincarnation, etc. But that movement was eventually destroyed for heresy in the 1300s.

It's things like this that makes Jesus such an interesting figure, and not just what we know of from conventional Christianity and the Bible. The other thing is that he's so easy to connect with for someone seeking for personal mystical experiences and you can experience him more personally in an individual way.

Last edited:
I think Jesus is the way to find god! and I believe Jesus was a really good person, I saw Jesus sometime on acid/shroom trips, it must be a powerfull spiritual being which manifested in the historical person of Jesus from Nazareth.

I met Christ multiple times when I was having near-death-experiences from benzo withdrawal. I didn't know what else to do and thought at least it couldn't hurt. But I was suprised that he came and it wasn't like I would have imagined.

But there have always been myths that he lived on and went to settle in France and founded the Gnostic/Essene Cathar beliefs, which was very beautiful and a much more mystic form of spirituality with Eastern elements like reincarnation, etc. But that movement was eventually destroyed for heresy in the 1300s.

that movement was not destroyed. many of the texts resurfaced in 1945 in egypt (the "nag hammadi.")

Not the texts, but the people at the time were rounded up and killed.

Anyway, I think Jesus just came to teach and demonstrate divine consciousness, which he did very well, and getting crucified wasn't really in the plan. "Son of God" isn't meant to be taken literally. It means everyone should open up to their divine consciouness which is a child of God.