arrall

Administrator
Staff member

Japan launches a contest to urge young people to drink more alcohol

Bill Chappell
NPR
18 Aug 2022

Excerpt:
Young people turning away from alcohol is generally welcomed as a positive trend. But it's bad news both for booze companies, and governments that are watching lucrative alcohol tax revenues dry up along with the populace.

Japan's National Tax Agency is clearly concerned: It's taking an unorthodox approach to try to get young Japanese adults to drink more, in an online contest dubbed Sake Viva!

The project asks young people to submit business plans to lure a new generation into going on the sauce, saying Japan's sake, beer and liquor makers are facing challenges that the pandemic has made even worse.

Japan's alcohol consumption has been in a downward arc since the 1990s, according to the country's health ministry. In the past decade, the government adopted a sweeping plan to counter societal and health problems linked to alcohol, with a focus on reaching the relatively small portion of the population who were found to account for nearly 70% of Japan's total alcohol consumption.

Coronavirus restrictions have kept many people from visiting Japan's izakaya (pub) businesses, and people simply aren't drinking enough at home, the tax agency said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's related with the low libido they have, cause there's barely no new relationships and the birth rate is going down down down.
some alcohol always help not to be hyper demanding or to think too much...:sneaky:

I'm quoting another article here -

According to a report from the Japan Times, citing recent government data, tax revenue from liquor plummeted by 9.1% in 2020—meaning the government lost more than 110 billion yen ($813 million).

wow, so... that's a lot of money.

In a bid to revive the industry, the government has launched a new campaign to get young adults drinking again.

The “Sake Viva!” campaign, which is being overseen by Japan’s National Tax Agency, wants individuals or groups of up to three people aged between 20 and 39 to submit proposals for promotions that could encourage young people to get drinking.

People from any country can enter, but ideas must be related to encouraging sales of Japanese alcohol, including sake, shochu, whiskey, beer, and wine produced in Japan.

hop to it (no pun intended), looks like our wacky ideas are welcome :) they must be desperate :(

I don't know, mix a bottle of booze with some lingerie, and voila, maybe they're concerned about low birth rates. Cheers.

As someone who was definitely plied with alcohol, I know what I'm talking about, I do.

Promoting the use of a highly addictive, neurotoxic, hepatotoxic, easily available, legal, and societally encouraged substance will surely end well…

They should just legalize weed and call it a day.
They are trying to increase the birth rate, not decrease it.

(and yeah people can like weed 2for sex, but it definately doesn't have that fuck a stranger energy that alcohol does)

You’d be surprised…
Last time I took a puff I ended up assassinating Shinzo Abe with a homemade shotgun eating an entire bag of popcorn than going to bed early.

I'm also with the analysis that this is first a tax generating holiday and a population generating holiday second. Otherwise they would give out ghb and meth or something like that (though something tells me that ghb and meth sex doesn't tend to fertilize too many eggs).

They should just legalize weed then i would actually go to Japan. Ramen and vodka vending machines and Japanese women count me in