• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc IV technique

Zephyn

Bluelighter
I am thinking of learning to IV finally to make the most use of the limited amount of ketamine I have. Anytime I've tried to shoot up myself, I can't hit, the one time I did register some blood I lost the vein really quick couldn't hit again and wound up plugging my blood. With so many addicts out there I can't imagine why this would be so hard for me to learn/figure out. I never had another IV user teach me, only let them do it for me. I've even tried tying myself off and everyone else says I have great veins. What gives?

Get a smaller gauge needle, 31 if possible. 3/8" length is easier to use than the 1/2" ones.

Use the main vein in the crook of your arm at first. It's easiest to hit there at first and you shouldn't need to tie off if you haven't done it much. Clenching your fist can help you find the vein as opposed to a tie.

Use your fingers to find the vein, go by feel as opposed to sight, if that makes sense. Bevel up, go in at around 30-45 degree angle. It should be easy to register and you should see the blood slowly coming in before you even pull the plunger back. Pull back to make sure you're in, unclench your fist if it's clenched, and slowly press the plunger down.

I would look through the various threads here a bunch to read different people's techniques. Be careful and go slow.

When you are in, make sure you stay steady don't push the barrel down any deeper, as you'll push through the vein. This is one of the most common problems so be careful. And reconsider doing this honestly, but if you're gonna do it, study up.

I don't have access to 32 Guage anymore, as the state im in is very restricted. I buy them from a farm supply store, these current ones are at least 27, pretty small. Even with normal insulin syringes and trying to use "old faithful" in the crppk of my elbow, I still can't hit?

I'm not sure what to tell you then. Maybe try a warm shower before trying, this will dilate your veins.

But if you can't do it, definitely don't spend a bunch of times trying to do it and failing. You will fuck yourself up quickly. I kinda sucked at hitting myself at first, and I wasted veins with my poor technique. Don't follow that pattern. Have a friend help you out.

I'm not sure what to tell you then. Maybe try a warm shower before trying, this will dilate your veins.

But if you can't do it, definitely don't spend a bunch of times trying to do it and failing. You will fuck yourself up quickly. I kinda sucked at hitting myself at first, and I wasted veins with my poor technique. Don't follow that pattern. Have a friend help you out.
I have no friends, I live in a new city and haven't met anyone here yet, and any old friends I have left id certainly lose if I asked them to help me shoot up.

Get a smaller gauge needle, 31 if possible. 3/8" length is easier to use than the 1/2" ones.

Use the main vein in the crook of your arm at first. It's easiest to hit there at first and you shouldn't need to tie off if you haven't done it much. Clenching your fist can help you find the vein as opposed to a tie.

Use your fingers to find the vein, go by feel as opposed to sight, if that makes sense. Bevel up, go in at around 30-45 degree angle. It should be easy to register and you should see the blood slowly coming in before you even pull the plunger back. Pull back to make sure you're in, unclench your fist if it's clenched, and slowly press the plunger down.

I would look through the various threads here a bunch to read different people's techniques. Be careful and go slow.

It's interesting that you say this. SKL and I are on another thread advocating the opposite. That 27g is easier to 31g. Go figure.

It's interesting that you say this. SKL and I are on another thread advocating the opposite. That 27g is easier to 31g. Go figure.
I only ever used the smallest gauge needle possible, as from what I understand they are the least damaging. Technique is probably more important in the long run though. Someone new is likely gonna run into some trial and error no matter what size they use.

I only ever used the smallest gauge needle possible, as from what I understand they are the least damaging. Technique is probably more important in the long run though. Someone new is likely gonna run into some trial and error no matter what size they use.

Well you're right, smaller is less damaging. And I agree, for some reason there seems to be a great deal of personal preference with this.

Personally, I used a 30g a couple of times and didn't like em. Mainly because they make it too difficult to manipulate the plunger. A larger needle gives me a much greater ability to tell the difference between when I'm in the vein or not.

Also... 27g is just by far the most common type of needle given out in Australia. At least where I've lived. And I was a homeless junkie spending every waking moment making money for heroin, I didn't wanna spend any more time getting needles than I had too. Which also means it's by far the kind I've had the most practice with.

As a side not make sure to be sitting and get the needle out fast.

K is one drug that hits super hard and fast IV and I've woken up fallen or with the needle not removed.

Also the effects are super short IV. It wears off so fast like that.