• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

It's Time to End the War on Salt

^ Hooray for Doctor Strangelove (well, technically that's General Jack Ripper, right?). :D

I see this thread going nowhere fast... Tempted to close it, but figure I'll wait and see how quickly it goes down the shitter. :p 'Cause you never know when someone's going to come by with beneficial information! 8)

I don't add salt to anything (I know, I'm weird, I like my eggs saltless) and when I'm cooking I generally don't use it.. Never been a fan of it. Give me some garlic, onions, pepper, jalapenos etc. any day.

As others said though, water offsets salt.. so the problem isn't people eating so much salt as it is them not drinking enough water.

^ And not getting enough potassium--Which is found in the majority of real, whole foods like fruits and fruits that are considered vegetables. People are eating sodium out of boxes via the microwave, and it really is a shame.

I can understand a shake of salt on eggs or french fries, but steak? If you have to put anything at all on your meat, including "steak sauce" crap, then you need to buy much better quality meat and learn to cook it correctly. I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than shake salt all over a juicy & marbled steak.

Really? I've always found that salt enhances almost any savory food. Then again, my family has always had a bit of a "salty tooth".

I've always thought that the whole salt thing was pushed by personal trainers and weight-loss/nutrition companies in an effort to trick Americans into thinking that they're losing fat weight, when in reality the lowered regulation of salt intake merely reduces water weight over a short amount of time.

In other words it's a ploy to get people to think the diet actually works in a short amount of time when in reality they only lost water.

Also I heard somewhere that the human taste buds crave three things: Salt, Fat and Sugar.

Also I heard somewhere that the human taste buds crave three things: Salt, Fat and Sugar.
I too heard that: From a Registered Dietitian. :p So, it's probably true. Forget which one cannot be changed, though I know it's not salt as people can get used to a lower sodium intake. Probably is sugar. I'll ask in a month if I remember (ugh, school).

I too heard that: From a Registered Dietitian. :p So, it's probably true. Forget which one cannot be changed, though I know it's not salt as people can get used to a lower sodium intake. Probably is sugar. I'll ask in a month if I remember (ugh, school).

I, personally, would assume it's fat that can't be changed. We naturally would have to crave fat during the winter months so that there is more storage of calories. Not to mention, quite a few people can get used to low sugar intakes (not considering the diabetics that think sugar substitutes are okay for them).

^ Yes, taste buds like protein (the savory / umami flavor), but they do not crave it in the same sense that they crave salt, fat and sugar; especially fat. (Not to mention protein is in virtually everything except oil and water--Not like you have to eat something specific to get protein like you do sugar.)

Well, technically, isn't it the *brain* that craves flavors, rather than the taste buds themselves?