• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is there anything that could have stopped us?

Lotus123

Bluelighter
I often see people try and give powerful warnings to people to not go crazy with drugs and they are often brilliant but they are soon forgotten by the recipient, if the recipient is even listening in the first place

Is there anything that anyone could have said that might have stopped you? Is there anything that can be said that really works?

I have never seen or heard of anybody that was swayed by anything anyone else said in regards to their drug use.

The one and only time I have ever seen it is when my Grandma had a checkup ( she was in her 50's ) and I was a teenager. Her Dr. told her that if she smoked just one more cigarette it could kill her. She had developed something called Berger's Disease. She came out of the office and never smoked another ciggie and lived to be 92.

But that is the one and only time I have ever seen or heard of anyone else taking advice.....even when it was delivered by a Dr.

So no, I'm not sure that even a hard core heroin user would stop even if a Dr. told them the next shot could kill you. And in todays drug market that's truer than ever. Our addictions, obsessions and compulsions are just too strong and we simply have to find out for ourselves. Some realize the damage sooner than others. Some never realize it and continue with their addiction(s) all their life.

I know that nothing anyone ever said to helped me not try anything. Parents tried hard and some of my friends did as well but even though I listened when they said it , it went in one ear and out the other.

What do you think about the subject?

I definitely learn from advice now that im old enough to realize someone is trying to help. Also - I think the warnings are important - even if they glide over you at the time, I find myself thinking back to those moments like "OOOOOOOHHHH" -- it helps people imo to have the info in their mind for if/when their "aha" moment comes. it helps to know others have felt/thought this before. Also - I have definitely managed to help some people change behavior, but i have a particularly vivid sharing style with the scars to back it up, and i can clearly explain the downregulation process. IME "drugs are bad, this fucks you up" isn't the way.
the way i approach it is to explain how if you LIKE being high, there is no more sure way to make that not a thing than to start daily habits. that actually seems to get through to a certain subset of people.

I have never seen or heard of anybody that was swayed by anything anyone else said in regards to their drug use.

The one and only time I have ever seen it is when my Grandma had a checkup ( she was in her 50's ) and I was a teenager. Her Dr. told her that if she smoked just one more cigarette it could kill her. She had developed something called Berger's Disease. She came out of the office and never smoked another ciggie and lived to be 92.

But that is the one and only time I have ever seen or heard of anyone else taking advice.....even when it was delivered by a Dr.

So no, I'm not sure that even a hard core heroin user would stop even if a Dr. told them the next shot could kill you. And in todays drug market that's truer than ever. Our addictions, obsessions and compulsions are just too strong and we simply have to find out for ourselves. Some realize the damage sooner than others. Some never realize it and continue with their addiction(s) all their life.

I know that nothing anyone ever said to helped me not try anything. Parents tried hard and some of my friends did as well but even though I listened when they said it , it went in one ear and out the other.

What do you think about the subject?

I've never seen anything that has swayed a young person to not take drugs. I've seen lots of people be pressured into it. The first guy who gave SWIM (lol jk) coke was a bit of a psycopath. He used to steal coats from house parties. He wore a woman's coat for a week until he found out it was a girl's coat. He didn't notice the buttons go the other way. He used to get a sick pleasure from introducing people to cocaine. Then they usually became his customers.

The grandmother story is the same for my grandmother who stopped smoking the same way. Mine lived to her 90s as well. So technically it must be possible, I've just not really seen it much.

I got sent to a reform school for a year as a kid. I wasn't a troublemaker, I was the opposite. I got straight As but I had autism which wasn't understood back then and they didn't know what to do with me. I got given the drugs talk every week at that place and I was the only kid not taking drugs. None of it did any good. If anything, it was probably encouragement. They taught us how to identify all the drugs thinking this would somehow stop us.

I don't know what the answer to the subject is, hence I'm interested in hearing other points of view and experiences. It is very hard to stop someone who wants to do something.

No, I was hell bent on destroying myself at the time and nothing was going to stop me…it took the fall to learn to fly…now I can warn and encourage others who’ll listen, we’re all here for a reason…I’ve found mine ❤️

I think the most tragic part of this equation is it’s so difficult for people to understand that choices we make now, can have long term effects.

Something like trying a shot of coke can be made in a second.. just going to see what all the fuss is about right.. just once then I will just never leave it alone forever . Just walk away. We don’t work that way.. one impulsive can end up having a very long impact on a persons life.

I think it’s difficult to explain that to someone who has never experienced it.

Oh yeah i listened to the guys giving me advice here during my MTD wd. I quit MTD after 13 years. Took MTD because i was using H for over a decade.
Someone told me to prepare for day 11 when MTD wd comes full blown. I prepared.
Someone told me whats my plan for PAWS. I researched PAWS.
Someone told me pregab might help. I got low dose of pregab.
Someone told me be careful with both pregab and benzo, it will make ur MTD wd like a walk in the park. I quit pregab after i started feeling better. Now my Valium dose is just 2.5mg every 4 days and im trying to quit also the Valium.
In my mind is like this...these ppl have been through worse than me, especially regarding benzo wd. I never abused benzo all my life so i better believe them when they say something. Also the reason im in this forum is to get help and information from people who has been through what i am about to go through. So i think it's wise to take their advice into consideration. I don't listen to all, but i pick the ones that can help me achieve my goal, clean of all drugs.

Speaking purely from my own experience, no. Nothing could have stopped me. I didn't touch a drink until I was nearly 19 (UK that is very late) but once I did, it filled every single hole I had and it was game over from that first pint of Guinness. The same with drugs, it doesn't matter what it is but if it provides me with a warm, forget the outside feeling then I will do it to the limit and beyond. My Dad is a 30+ year heroin addict, many uncles alcoholics since I can remember, should have known better but those intoxicated feelings spoke to me in a way nothing else ever did or has since. For what it is worth, using saved my life for a while... for many years in fact. Until it didn't.

I am now doing recovery seriously for the first time ever and I am done with this life, even if it it hard and even if I keep falling. To round this out, I think most will agree, nothing would have stopped us imo. Nothing at all.

I never listened to anyone but I always stopped drug abuse on my own once serious and scary side effects started to show up. I got hooked on benzos and stopped when I became seriously depressed. I got incredibly addicted to GBL and GHB until my stomach hurt like hell from all the solvent I ingested so I stopped. I got badly addicted to amphetamines until I developed psychosis after not sleeping for a week or so. Psychosis was extremely scary so I stopped all drugs besides some booze for a long time. I stopped morphine because I started to have myoclonic jerks.....

Right now, I suspect that I may be developing neuropathy from too much booze. I get weird tingling sensations in my hands, which get worse after a night with way too much booze. This really pisses me off as I LOVE drinking! May have to switch back to cannabis to please my unhappy brain. Weed is more benign when it comes to bad side effects.

No, not really, once you are into the fog of war, it's very hard to even process good advice. You just don't give a shit. But when you run out of drugs, or get into trouble, then you listen. It's not too late,