• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is there anything at the bottom of Ketamine's rabbit hole?

Vastness

Bluelight Crew
I am sure most people familiar with Ketamine will understand the feeling of being close to unlocking some kind of divine secret. However I am curious, has anyone actually gained anything from a Ketamine trip that they have been able to integrate into, and thus, hopefully improve their experience of, day to day life?

I am aware of Ketamine's therapeutic potential, however for the purposes of this discussion, I am not referring to threshold dosing, but heavier dosing, either in the context of a prolonged session resulting in palpably altered perception and intoxication, or a shorter but intense session with the intention of inducing a K-hole.

Ketamine is a fascinating drug to me, and I have had many good times on it. Just remembering some of my past experiences K-holing from several years ago now can still make me feel a little choked with emotion, such was the intensity of feeling induced... however I recently ended up acquiring some K again, and on this occasion although there are several differences in my life and also the set and setting than from my previous experiences, I found that I seem to have become already jaded to this seemingly false and forever unfulfilled feeling of impending enlightenment. There is a definite sweet spot during the experience (for me, anyway) where you are not quite wholly "somewhere else" but are definitely on the way, and it is during this period that I can typically begin to build up expectations in my mind of the actualisation of this feeling of enlightenment which is surely coming, but then, following the actual trip itself, the immediate aftermath is always a wired and confusing mess of residual psychedelia, intoxication and creeping disappointment that I don't seem to have brought anything of value back from the experience - the disappointment is, I guess, much like the feeling of waking up from a dream as a child and being disappointed that whatever I was trying to bring with me into waking reality has evaporated.

I could probably point at many things in my own life that would be the cause of this, several years ago I was indulging out of pure hedonism, with far less responsibilities or concerns than today, and obvously as a general rule it is probably bad practice to really expect to get anything out of almost any substance except a fleeting fun experience, and if anything else does come out of it, that is a bonus. But that said, compared to other psychedelics and as one of the only truly addictive psychedelics Ketamine does strike me as a drug with a particularly, and strangely, seductive dark side and comparatively few actual measurable benefits (again, just to reiterate, I am referring to usage with the intention of inducing a powerful psychedelic experience, not controlled therapeutic dosing). The trip itself, although often fantastical, seems to be largely without any interpretable meaning, but despite this the come-up always seems to come with the promise of a deep and important meaning just around the corner. It also does seem to be the case that prolonged and heavy Ketamine use does eventually induce full blown delusions and possibly subconscious suicidal tendencies, at least if the few prominent and heavy Ketamine users are a representative sample.

In light of the above observations (assuming that you agree with them, at least in part, please do say if you do not!) I was just curious if ketamine has actually improved anyone's life in any measurable way, or if users mostly either get sick of trying to discern it's cryptic or possibly nonexistent message and give up on it, or end up going down the road of addiction and and habituation, following the rabbit deeper and deeper into the mirage.

I guess that there are the 'unexpected' experiences that give some kind of insight, but there is also the 'metaprogramming' potential: it can be used to observe something with a very neutral point of view and changes can be made to oneself and ones behavior.

How that is done however I cannot tell you and just like working with nootropics or psychedelics it is quite possible to also make changes to oneself as collateral damage that may be negative. When learning how to deal with all this it's impossible to have complete control over it. You can disconnect and lock away parts of yourself with ketamine, and often it is not voluntary. I guess repression is one of the aspects of metaprogramming, and one that may be most innate to ketamine because of how 'dissociative' it is.

I personally haven't found that kind of relief with ketamine and only got a K addiction. A friend of mine certainly has gotten quite episodic experiences with K involving repression and also recollection of buried parts of himself, also with K.

If you really want to influence that kind of potential from K then I think you might want to look into metaprogramming (you can start here but there is plenty to be found with googling)... but I feel like I should caution you.
IMO with psychedelics there is much more conscious control over those kinds of effects one ones psychology.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response! There's actually an interesting discussion in that thread, regarding, essentially, as put by one poster, whether the apparent potential for metaprogramming perceived on Ketamine or other dissociatives is measurably real, or just a cognitive hallucination. I believe I have tried to "metaprogram" before (at least, as I understand the term to mean from that thread), ie, try to project a modified psychology and outlook on life (from my perspective as some kind of avatar of some pan-dimensional intelligence, for example, not to de-rationalise this thread too much ;)) and while I can feel this while under the influence, I have not really succeeded in bringing it back with me.

This experience supports my general feeling that the potential for metaprogramming on Ketamine is likely an illusion, which is why I ask if anyone can report any measurable benefits or changes to their life brought about from this substance.

I'm not sure that it's right to conclude that if you have not been able to work with metaprogramming then it's all illusory?

That is a valid point. :)

However it is not the only reason, the main other reason is that I have never read any reports of long term Ketamine users who have been able to avoid their use becoming a problem, and believe Ketamine continues to enrich their lives. On the other hand, there are many many reports of long term Ketamine users developing addictions, often accompanied with significantly detrimental effects on their lives. Of course this doesn't mean that the former scenario is impossible, only that, probably, it's a rarity.

Yeah I agree, I mentioned that IMO psychedelics are much more reliable - not only is there a more conscious process (although depending on the trip and the mind it can still be chaotic or obscured) but the 'therapeutic' action is often spontaneous. That's very different from having to take advantage of the disconnecting qualities to tinker with parts of your psyche on K. That it may be a rarity could have to do with people relatively rarely setting out to metaprogram with dedication. But yeah it can also mean that it's hardly feasible. I don't think it's impossible because of how 'metaprogramming' continuously connects to the general influence of conscious thought on behavior. This happens to most if not all people in their lives, only usually it is a long and arduous process, because of how behavior is very low on your personal scheme of things and most is trickle-down from your beliefs, mission or 'purpose'. There is feedback back up the chain, but it happens slowly over time or sometimes with jumps when you have a critical experience that contributes to your sense of purpose, your vision, your mission.
I'm describing personality mechanisms that are explained in various different ways but with sharing some things in common. Anyway, because metaprogramming may be an attempt to catalyze such mechanics I don't it's purely based on illusion.

3meo-PCP made me feel like I was finally an adult, MXE helped me reconnect with my inner child, I don't know about K though never tried it. I never felt like I got any magic unattainable secret from these drugs that couldn't be obtained in a slightly different way through psychedelics/meditation. That being said I loooove that "darkness" that dissociatives have, it makes me feel tapped into that pre life/death state and past lives.

Last edited:
I found K to be a very dark, sinister feeling substance. I really did not enjoy the experience at all. Compared to hundreds of lsd, mushroom and DMT experiences which were all mostly positive. There can be darkness with those substances but i find the experiences enlightening especially dmt and shrooms but K i just hated.

I found K to be a very dark, sinister feeling substance. I really did not enjoy the experience at all. Compared to hundreds of lsd, mushroom and DMT experiences which were all mostly positive. There can be darkness with those substances but i find the experiences enlightening especially dmt and shrooms but K i just hated.
Well it's certainly nothing like serotonergic psychedelics that's for sure, no dissociatives are.
I never found K to be dark and sinister though, it seems to all over the place to me to carry such dark vibes.
Confusing as all hell when you're stuck in a loop in your hole but definitely not scary

I just do salvia, THC, and lysergics these days, and never have k-holed, however, going all the way, or breaking through, has occurred to me on each of these differently.

All the way translates as blackout/whiteout/amnesia at the greatest intensity, and in some trips it is a sequence of in and out of the "hole".

The edge of the hole includes the most intense resonant states of mind such as Delerium, Halucination, OBE's, and Visions, but the hole itself is not accessible.

I believe that after the greatest amount of stoned-ness which is resonance and persistence of the longest lasting fading signals, there is too little signal to noise for the mind to function. At this point you white-out even if you call it black out or hole or amnesia.

with longer lasting substances - the intense dosage will probably provide prolonged extreme resonance, which will involve a series of white-outs and returns. For me the returns are most exquisite, although approach to the edge of the hole is also delicious.

what is in the hole is not useable to our minds, no correlation is possible, no memory fixation occurs, no unique perception emerges - too much noise.

K and mxe gave me a better sense of how "I" got "here" here being a rock in the middle of the universe....and I being something that took billions of years of evolution to arrive at. dissociatives give me a very cosmic sense of my place in the universe...in a different way than psychs ever did

Yeah...psychosis. Perhaps a destroyed bladder? But something to keep in mind; at least two, well-known "authorities" on the substance died from injecting it. That's how powerful a drug it can be. Alternate realities? Living other lives as "characters" in some absurd but very "real" feeling theater? Yes, yes, and yes. It's a powerful compound, and one that many fall in love with. It's also dangerously seductive and can lead to one's own destruction, not that it isn't so for many other substances. But yeah...the rabbit-hole runs deep, and in all kinds of directions, and you can get lost in its labyrinth quite easily.

For enlightenment, I think of LSD. For profound escapism, ketamine.

I don't know if you've ever read 'Journeys into the bright world' by Marcia Moore and Howard Alltounian. It's available as a PDF at http://pdf.textfiles.com/books/journeysbrightworld.pdf

I'm not suggesting this to put you off - although it is a sobering as well as fascinating read. I've dabbled with K-holes (often in conjunction with MDMA) and have had some quite enlightening experiences. When I say "quite" I mean that they pale into insignificance compared to LSD and mushrooms, but I believe K did have value at the time. Following the suicide of a family member I recall visiting a dark, damp place that seemed to me to be what death was like - not fun but illuminating in a strange way. I (and my partner who had just lost a daughter) felt we had "got in touch with death" and we are convinced it helped the healing process (I appreciate that this experience was probably around the edge of the K-hole, as by definition it is impossible to recall the actual "hole" itself)

Marcia Moore's book was helpful for me to remain vigilant to the seductive nature of K. I also found it can only take me so far (as did my partner) before I realise I am visiting the same territory again.

Whereas LSD ...............

Last edited:
At the bottom of the ketamine rabbit whole is schizophrenic delusions and extreme synchronicity in everyday life.

Na but really I've spent a lot of that time chasing that "the truth is just around the corner" feeling dissociatives have and the funny farmers come get me.

Ah yes ... the coincidences. I'd forgotten those. I was experimenting with breakthrough Salvia experiences at the same time so not quite sure what caused what. But the coincidences and deja vu were interesting, though not as extreme as John Lilly's CCCC stuff. Thank goodness. Yes, that is funny farm material 8o

Thanks to this thread I met John Lilly, and I have to say that he is a more interesting character than the much more known McKenna or Leary.
Besides his more radical crazy ideas he is got an interesting philosophy of live.
His crazy ideas are quite entertaining...
And tripping in a sensorial depravation tank has to be interesting to say the least.

For enlightenment, I think of LSD. For profound escapism, ketamine.

Yeah, I agree, Ketamine is like a mini vacation. Very refreshing, but for me it's too easy to want to stay gone and "put all my troubles in an old Ket bag" ;). I couldn't resist even though almost nobody on this forum is old enough to get it.