• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is there any actual reason that prozac may diminish the feelings of hydrocodone?

lokidoki

Bluelighter
Hi there. I recently took a week off opiates and was started on prozac in the meantime. I took my usual norco dose (40mg) expecting to feel amazing since its been a week, but I feel no euphoria except for the side effects (dry mouthetc). Then again Ive had a pretty shitty day. Ive been looking into it and I've seen some people say they feel like SSRIs interfere with opiates, but I want to know of there would be an actual scientific reason for this. Or is it just likely in my head/more to do with the bad mood?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Fluoxetine (Prozac) inhibits a liver enzyme called CYP2D6 which converts Codeine/Hydrocodone (weak) to Morphine/Hydromorphone (strong).

Fluoxetine (Prozac) inhibits a liver enzyme called CYP2D6 which converts Codeine/Hydrocodone (weak) to Morphine/Hydromorphone (strong).

So you're saying the prozac should actually potentiate it?

So you're saying the prozac should actually potentiate it?

Not necessarily, because the CYP2D6 action makes the drug stronger (converting it from Hydrocodone to the *much* more powerful Hydromorphone), so a relatively selective CYP2D6 inhibitor (like Fluoxetine) would probably diminish its potency.
However, a greater portion of the drug gets metabolized into weaker metabolites by other liver enzymes (primarily CYP3A4), so taking a drug that primarily inhibits those enzymes would probably potentiate it.