• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is there an upper limit to how much codeine your body can process in a day?

Did you know that within the field of medicinal chemistry, CYP2D6 inducers are considered an important target?

It's proven very difficult to find a pharmacophore for potential agents. Glutethimide is the notorious one. A few medicines related to glutethimide are also inducers (methyprylon, pyrithyldione and piperidione). What is interesting is that glutethimide and the first two of the other three I mentioned are chiral. So I believe an important first step would be to resolve the isomers to discover if one isomer is responsible for enzyme induction.

If one could find a CYP2D6 inducer that was non-toxic and did not produce unacceptable side-effects (sedation would be a side-effect if induction is the stated goal) then it could be valuable.

It's not widely noted but different nations may use different medicines because the enzyme activity can be highly variable due to genetic factors. Put simply, a medicine might prove successful in trials in one ethnic group but not in another. Their are many factors but metabolism is an important one.

If anyone has references into research into CYP2D6, I would love to read them. It's proven a tough nut to crack.
Truth, even backed by science has no place in the agenda of the hard-core Politically Correct Circles who all seem to walk in lock step in regards to racial or ethnic variables. These people run around screaming racism, as a knee jerk reaction to any differences.
These people have an agenda and have power in regards to funding, approving or in anyway allowing research into racial differences.

Yeah - I've even found patents for compounds that were not themselves medicines but were designed in such a way that all the metabolites were excreted via the bladder and analysis of the levels and ratios of those metabolites enabled doctors to better select the optimum medication for that patient.

When you reach stage 3 trials their are potentially tens of thousands of participants and so you may see statistical differences but ideally we should tailor the treatment to the person. If medication is required, being able to provide the lowest effective dose in a reliable manner will improve outcomes.

Genetics are a lot more subtle and unpredictable than people think. Close family are the best predictors I've seen in use. All four of my grandparents suffered from hypertension and so I'm checked four times a year. Ironically I display the OPPOSITE. My blood pressure and resting heart rate are unexpectedly low.