• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Is there a major difference between brand name adderall and generic?

kittycatb38

Greenlighter
I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and after 2 appointments with my psychiatrist he caved in (I literally subtly insisted to him that I think I have ADHD and he said okay let's try adderall 5mg IR. Our whole conversation lasted about 15 mins remote each time, and no actual tests were given). Later I found out that I was prescribed a generic brand adderall and was using Sandoz. Although the medication helped me stop stimming and let me finally sit my in front of my workstation for long periods of time, it hasn't helped my concentration or focus that much. I'm wondering if this is just because it's the generic manufacturer or because name brand adderall is just that much more effective. If brand name adderall is that much better then the question is how can I get prescribed brand name adderall without sounding like an addict to my psychiatrist because he never officially tested me for anything so I assume it'll be harder to get prior authorization (I heard generic brand prior auths are easier to get approved but name brands are a lot harder). On a side note, what are your prefered manufacturers for generic brand adderall?

Adderall is a brand name, as far as I'm aware. I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as "generic adderall", although perhaps I'm wrong. Adderall is a quite specific mixture of different amphetamine salts. Other amphetamine preparations do exist, of course, and people's preferences for and ability to even perceive the differences between these will vary.

Be aware also that questions about how to get your doctor to prescribe you a specific medication are not allowed. You should discuss your symptoms with your doctor and be honest about your desires as much as possible, if you've heard that Adderall is more effective than another generic amphetamine preparation - and you do not find that what you have been prescribed is effective for you therapeutically - then say this to your doctor.

adderall is known in generic form as "mixed amphetamine salts". I assume it refers to the same formulation as adderall, not any old salad of amphetamines. I got bumped from brand name to generic, and i felt there was a difference, though I have no way of knowing if that was just a psychological response. I had my doctor put a do not substitute on my script. since then, I have also had a generic from a different company and they seemed to work the same and have the same if not more potency. don't know the manufacturer, they weren't from my own prescription.

My doctor has said to me, that in her experience with patients, there are some drugs that patients note no difference between brand and generic, but other drugs where commonly they do, and request the brand.

Incidentally, if they seem ineffective, it is possible it is a dose issue. the dose you mention is a relatively small dose. This is something else you can ask your doctor about

I made a thread about this not long ago...

I was using Sandoz on the odd occasion (usually 10mg 4-6 times a year) for many years and thought I knew amphetamine, thought maybe I had gained a tolerance over the years.

Recently I got my hands on a few brand name and didn’t realize they were brand name. I found through accident that 10mg of this would have me flying all night as opposed to 3-4 hours.

5mg was equal to 10mg of the Sandoz. And I could take as little as 2.5mg with strong effects, something the generic couldn’t do.

I casually brought it up to my brother who gives me them next time I saw him, and he then informs me the reason why is because they’re brand name.

I’ve experienced the same thing with brand name Suboxone over generic. 4x the amount wouldn’t cover my tolerance of the brand name.

-GC

It's the same ingredients, it could just have different additionals like talkum or whatever. But as they are cheaper to produce they are cheaper to get and more prescribed, which has again to do with the relationship between pharma and physicians......

JJ