Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Is poppy seed tea poisoning me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluent_c

Greenlighter
Has anyone out there found any information about cadmium from poppy seeds extracting into poppy seed tea? I have been searching everywhere looking for a definitive answer to this. I'd been experimenting with seeds for a week, only to learn that they contain heavy metals. Needless to say after reading that I quit. I have't been able to find anything online that proves or disproves that a poppy seed extraction could be more full of cadmium then morphine. I know the seeds themselves contain the metals but is the metal soluble in water, and can it be released in a quick 5 min. wash? Its really not worth the risk, but I'm still searching. I did read that one long time poppy seed user was tested years after drinking lots of tea only to find that his levels were normal, but that was about it. Has anyone out there found the answer? I'm sure I'm not the only person looking for this info. Any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thank you..

Last edited:
The pods are illegal. I can't afford to go that route. It would be nice though. From what I hear they are next to impossible to grow in Texas.

We can't really get into growing the pods here but, buying them is likely just as bad as just using the seeds anyways.

I'm too paranoid to order the pods. I would be the unlucky guy who orders .5 pounds and gets 5 years in prison to think about it. Seeds are legal and pods are not. Don't get me wrong, If I was in a legit flower shop or craft store and saw some good ones they would be sold out soon after but I just don't trust these online pod sites.

I don't blame you and the point is that they are not safer anyways. We do not suggest that you order anything illegal and FYI seeds are legal but, making poppy seed tea is not.

The pods are illegal. I can't afford to go that route. It would be nice though. From what I hear they are next to impossible to grow in Texas.

Dude youve heaed wrong. I poppy can be grown virtually anywhere aslong as plant according to your areas seasonal temps. Im 2 states east if ya and easily grow twice a year

Really..I thought it was too hot for them here. You would probably need a special strain that doesn't mind the occasional hot winters day. I don't like the risk involved. For all I know Officer Poppycock lives 3 houses down and has been having a hard time at home so he's on full alert when BAM! Oh look they finally bloomed. Now I'm in prison protecting my "poppy pod". No thanks. Do you think that the bad stuff inside the seeds can leach into the tea water? I'm going to ask my Dr. to test me for heavy metals. I used to work in power plants and was exposed to some bad shit so I'll just use that excuse. I have yet to find any threads about people who's health has been effected due to tea.

My conern isn't if one is better then the other, but If the cadmium does in fact spread to the water. If so I'll just have to go back to the natural highs, spinning in circles, holding breath, airplane glue.

Making seed tea to get high is illegal, too. It could be argued you are extracting a DEA Schedule I Drug. Most people don't consume large amounts of poppyseed regularly.

Anyway, culinary poppyseed should not contain appreciable amounts of heavy metals at all, because it's a food product regulated by the FDA. It probably presents the same risk of toxicity as eating too much tuna or brazil-nuts.

Do remember that in Eastern European cultures people eat cuisine like poppyseed strudel that is mostly poppyseed by mass. And boy is it delicious.

http://www.aensionline.com/aeb/2011/315-319.pdf
It may be of note that studies suggest poppyseed contains lead, chromium, cadmium, arsenic etc. from rock fertiliser impurities, generally in the low ppm range. (0.1-1mg/kg). No clue on solubility, but I would assume that since the compounds are uptaken into plants they are as soluble chlorides, hydroxides, or chelates, so the answer is yes, there will be metals leached, however the quantity will depend on the regional characteristics of the poppy crop, the pH of your tea, the amount of seeds used, volume, temperature, brew time, etc. & in general the total dose would be extremely unlikely to exceed 5mg of total metals.

I guess this is just one more reason seed tea is really a last resort.

^ Cadmium Chloride is indeed soluble in water, but the metal refineries that are the source of most of the Cadmium contamination produce Cadmium Oxide, which is not soluble in water. I'm trying to find out which compound may be used in fertilizers to determine solubility.
Edit: Since Cadmium can pass directly from soil to plant, compounds of Cadmium are never used in fertilizers (source).

Really..I thought it was too hot for them here. You would probably need a special strain that doesn't mind the occasional hot winters day. I don't like the risk involved. For all I know Officer Poppycock lives 3 houses down and has been having a hard time at home so he's on full alert when BAM! Oh look they finally bloomed. Now I'm in prison protecting my "poppy pod". No thanks. Do you think that the bad stuff inside the seeds can leach into the tea water? I'm going to ask my Dr. to test me for heavy metals. I used to work in power plants and was exposed to some bad shit so I'll just use that excuse. I have yet to find any threads about people who's health has been effected due to tea.

Too hot? What do you think the climate is like in Afghanistan, Southeast Asia, and Colombia, which are where most of the poppy fields for the illegal drug trade are? The poppy fields for pharmaceutical companies are in India, Turkey, and Tasmania, most of which have pretty hot seasons, although Tasmania is a little cooler. Basically they can grow almost anywhere, and a "friend" grew some just fine in NY in the summer.

As for your concern about the heavy metals, well Cadmium is insoluble in water (strong acids such as hydrochloric and sulfuric are needed to dissolve it), and has a melting point of over 600 degrees Fahrenheit so tea water is not going to melt it. Cadmium can get into some crops, but mostly if the water in the region has become contaminated, usually from sources such as metal refineries (primarily those for Zinc which is closely related to Cadmium), and also from some fertilizers that may have some amounts of Cadmium.

The main source seems to be some fertilizers, and since some of these fertilizers increase yields, they are likely to primary source of the contamination. Growing your own poppies would certainly minimize the amount of Cadmium in your poppy pods considering you don't use said fertilizers, and are not in a region that has been exposed to contamination. If you make poppy tea then I suggest filtering it since Cadmium is not soluble in water, but I don't know how fine it is since it exists as a dust from refineries, and also since it may be made into a compound which may be soluble in water. However, as you pointed out growing poppies is illegal, so you are better off avoiding them altogether.

Last edited:
Wow. I don't think I could have asked for better replies. Thank you. I'm going to call it quits on the seeds, its just not worth it. At least I know if the world goes to shit and I get a gaping chest wound from a marauding band of thieves I'll be able to pug that puppy up and chug some tea without worrying about the cadmium. Thank all of you for your time and insight.

^ No problem. I used to give presentations on toxic metals, usually Mercury (same family as Cadmium and its contamination is also associated with Zinc since refineries use Sphalerite for its Zinc content, which produces Cadmium gas and Mercury in the smelter slag), so it was fun to do a bit of research on them again.

I have silver solder with cadmium in it I can solder just about anything with it. They don't put cadmium in it anymore so today's solders are not as good.

Just a little useless Knowledge for y'all.

Yep it even says "cadmium free" safety solder like it's a good thing. If you find a good flux it's decent but definitely not a good. The old school shit definitely held up better under higher heat when you got something big to do./ off topic

Oh ya, welcome to bluelight OP

i was under the impression that the amount of morphine in the seeds themselves were negligible when compared to the pods. it is my understanding that the seeds will only have active alkaloids on them if the pod containing them was damaged in some way to allow the latex to leak onto the seeds inside and was therefore rather variable in their content. i grew a single crop of poppies a few years ago and had good results extracting latex from the pods. i however saved the seeds for a future crop instead of using them for any extraction purposes. poppies will grow with very little care and can be planted in a remote location if necessary for security reasons. i got my seeds from ordering pods online and saving them over the course of many orders. i understand your concern with ordering pods online and am unfamiliar with the local statutes in your state but i think it would not be an undue risk to find a single reliable supplier and stick with them.

i am unaware of any concern regarding heavy metals found in the latex, as an earlier poster suggested the only way i could see that happening was through absoption from an inferior fertilizer. growing your own and using an organic fertilizer such as bat guano or mushroom compost that will break down over time could remove these concerns. to find more information, i wouldn't search for the effect on pods and the latex in particular but rather sources regarding general horticulture or perhaps chemistry resources that would give definitive answers regarding the uptake of heavy metals through any plants root system and the solubility and melting points of the metals in question.

hope this helps.

OK guys let's no get into poppy cultivation. That is not an allowed topic on bluelight.

dude, i think you need a nice xanax script. you are one paranoid dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.