• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is it possible to stop breathing while passed out on coke/xanax cocktail?

teacup

Greenlighter
Let's just say that a friend of mine partied a little too hard the other night and spent the next day coming in an out of consciousness (or so she said it seemed).

She had about 10 servings of alcohol over the course of four hours, followed by about 0.5g of cocaine over the course of another two hours, followed by three IR Xanax pills (not sure how many mg, maybe 10?) and smoked about a half joint right after the pills. She was a little slow and out-of-it for a while, with messed up thinking and speech, and then she took a shower and went to bed in the morning.

She said she kept waking up throughout the day, face-down, and whenever she did, she said she thought she couldn't breathe, and that she wanted to roll over to try to help her breathe, but she couldn't move or even yell for her roommates to help her, so she would pass back out. This happened a couple of times during the day until she woke up several hours later as was able to get up and function again (and strangely felt pretty good, then, too).

I just had a few questions for her sake. Is it possible that she actually wasn't breathing and that's why she couldn't move and kept passing out, or is that impossible if she didn't die? And obviously all drug combinations are dangerous, but she thought she spaced everything out enough and had a high enough tolerance to handle and metabolize it all, so maybe it was the order? If she were to party with those drugs again, would it be better to maybe start with Xanax (or take less), or forego the marijuana?

Sorry if this isn't the best forum to post this under.

The scary part of that combo is the mixture of benzodiazepine (Xanax) and alcohol. They are both CNS depressants and together can absolutely stop breathing. For the sake of harm reduction do not mix them or any other CNS depressants. One or the other from now on. Cannabis will not effect respirations and the cocaine probably helped to offset some of the effects of the alcohol/benzo combination. Alcohol and benzos cause death all too frequently. She was lucky this time, I wouldn't risk it again.

Many find that less is more with benzos. Always start low and build if not reaching desired effects. Wait at least an hour before redosing. If insistent on drinking and using benzos again, definitely drastically decrease dosage of both as they tend to have a synergistic effect on CNS depression when taken together. Even if you've successfully handled it before does not mean it is safe to use that combination again in the future.

Last edited:
yeah you can def stop breathing and i really hope you mean 1mg not 10mg if so let lady luck be with her
30 mgs by itself can be super dangerous adding in alcohol can make that 30mg's feel double the dose
again i hope you meant 1mg tablet while 3 mg's is still a lot its not 30mg
check up on her and dont hesitate to take her to the ER if she shows signs of any distress

yeah you can def stop breathing and i really hope you mean 1mg not 10mg if so let lady luck be with her
30 mgs by itself can be super dangerous adding in alcohol can make that 30mg's feel double the dose
again i hope you meant 1mg tablet while 3 mg's is still a lot its not 30mg
check up on her and dont hesitate to take her to the ER if she shows signs of any distress

This was my thought when reading this post - even if the pills were .5mg or even the .25 then doing ten on top of alcohol would be enough to cause problems with breathing. The in and out experience that you describe could be a dreamstate or it could be her literally awake and struggling for breath!

It is possible that she did stop breathing check out sleep apnea and this could explain why she kept waking up and can also be attributed to the unable to move etc.

Yeah, it was probably 1mg! My bad. (I'm not really familiar with Xanax, and neither is she, I just know those pills are usually considered a smallish dose for people who regularly do it.)

Anyway, thanks for the information, guys. She's fine now, and she has learned her lesson. She took the Xanax so many hours after drinking (with coke in between) that she forgot alcohol was even in her system. She doesn't normally mess with Xanax, but she happened to have a few on hand for a coke comedown and took three in a row for that. But regardless, she'll be sure not to mix like that again.

Yeah, it was probably 1mg! My bad. (I'm not really familiar with Xanax, and neither is she, I just know those pills are usually considered a smallish dose for people who regularly do it.)

Anyway, thanks for the information, guys. She's fine now, and she has learned her lesson. She took the Xanax so many hours after drinking (with coke in between) that she forgot alcohol was even in her system. She doesn't normally mess with Xanax, but she happened to have a few on hand for a coke comedown and took three in a row for that. But regardless, she'll be sure not to mix like that again.

not only her well being but ts dangerous for females to be a cocktail like that it can easily lower inhibitions
well in a since its kinda like she "roofied" herself
and 1mg is for the exp users jumping into a dose like that with no prior exp shes lucky nothing bad happen let alone adding in alcohol
we stress not to mix benzos and alcohol because you can easily enter a black out phase you can easily hurt yourself, someone else even end up in jail not knowing wtf you did
glad she is ok