• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Is it ever ok to give up on romantic love?

I'm more in a place of giving up on love than I was 5 years ago. I'm more tired of getting burned and just figure it's better to focus on what I got going on and not love.

That's pretty much where I'm at as well.

Well, reading above posts etc., I gather you both have love for each other. Romantic love appears every now and again in every kind of love. In struggle, it burns first. But, knowing this personally, it will never work if you're not in the same place. My advice, if you're free to do it--i.e. could find work that is fulfilling and have a plan to maintain other relationships that will feel distance strain--move there and see what happens. Move there so you know for sure, otherwise you'll continue to question whether you two have what it takes.

Good post... I think the distance was the biggest problem. Even tho on one hand I'm still a bit resentful and hurt even tho I chose to forgive her, I can see why she could've gotten tired of waiting if she didn't think I was seriously going to move there. Now because of financial things I don't really have a way to anymore anyways. It sort of sucks the way things happened.

Last edited:
oh my days. you have no intention of moving on at all

Maybe not. I don't know if I ever will. That might sound melodramatic but it's just the way I feel.

i didn't mean that between you there is not a friendship only that how she has mislead you is not to me what a friend does. so stop pedestalling this one "friendship"

I wouldn't say I'm "pedestalling" this one friendship, we're just still good friends. She's really the only person perhaps besides my mother who I feel like I can talk to about anything with and vice versa. We're there for eachother.

you are wasting your time chasing this one in your head while openly pretending you are "just friends". i can understand it ( as a gay with hot straight male friends i have had many unrequited friend/loves that go nowhere)but really if you want to be free of the shit feelings you need to get rid of the woman you are still in love with who you are jealous of her boyfriend that you talk to all the time the same way most people would a partner. because she is not your partner.

I wouldn't say I'm chasing her, I'm just still in love with her. In fact she's the one that at times says things to me that makes me think she still has a thing for me. I always try to keep the conversations on a friendship level. Other than that, I've decided that I'm not going to let what's happened ruin a perfectly good friendship, and it's not like she's the only person that I care about that's hurt me in one way or another, or that there aren't bad things I never did. But either way I don't believe that she did it on purpose, although she sort of did it the worst way possible.

i get the feeling you dont value yourself enough to be harsh to her for you own beneift

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a masochist, but I don't think it's that. I just don't see the point in cutting off someone who is one of my best friends and that I care a lot about. It's hard sometimes, but if I was going to burn that bridge it would've been done over a year ago.

its definitely a better thread lol.

just frustrating to hear someone hurting themselves. but at the same time a good thread cos it shows all the responses of objectivity and in you the insanity of loving someone who wont love you back which we all experience when we really love someone as opposed to just enjoy fucking them and talking in a mostly shallow way.

I think the way I'm venting in this thread might make it seem like I'm walking around constantly obsessed with this person and miserable but that's not really the case. It's just difficult sometimes to go back to being friends with someone after being romantic for 3 years off and on. And she does love me, just not romantically anymore, although that's debatable. It's just complicated.

Just prioritise getting ahead in life and making your plans for your future so that no one else can fuck it up for you. Travel. Jobs. Buying a house. Start building your life as you want it.

I'm a long ways away from anything like that. Being on SSI for mental illness and living with an aging family member doesn't exactly get the ladies hot and bothered.

Maybe some chick will want to be with you and vice versa. Who knows? You will be content within yourself anyway and it will show.

I don't think there's anyone out there that's going to put up with me. I'm not all that stable and easy to get along with in the first place.

Giving yourself a break from the bullshit of finding a relationship is like a holiday in itself.

Yeah I normally don't miss it but it gets lonely sometimes to not have someone.

I dont care if you stay friends with your ex or not tbh. Its only facebook so who gives a shit. She should mean no more or less to you than anyone else on there.

It's not only Facebook, we talk probably 3 times a week on the phone. And of course she means more because we care about each other a lot. There's some people on my FB that I'm friends with but we don't even really communicate.

You and nutty should hook up.

Har har.

Last edited:
I'm a long ways away from anything like that. Being on SSI for mental illness and living with an aging family member doesn't exactly get the ladies hot and bothered.

I don't think there's anyone out there that's going to put up with me. I'm not all that stable and easy to get along with in the first place.

Im in the same boat as you champ. Pretty literally. I have been on SSRI for years and live in a unit behind my parents house.

Oooh . I forgot to mention I am a single parent as my last relationship left me that way. So yeah. The trifecta of fuckupness. In your post even you, who sells yourself short, have written women like myself off.

I tried to help you but doubt I was of much use. Oh well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

In your post even you, who sells yourself short, have written women like myself off.

I wouldn't say that, I'm just not currently looking for anything. If something happens it happens... I just have my doubts. And even if I did find another relationship, going into it with the idea that it probably eventually will end, and also the fact that I still have feelings for my ex wouldn't exactly be fair to the other person.

I tried to help you but doubt I was of much use. Oh well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No you're fine. I suppose this thread just turned into a long vent other than anything. I have read and appreciate all of the replies tho.

Last edited:
I don't think there really is a "giving up on romantic love"

I put it aside at different points in my life, but, at some point, and usually when I least expect it, I find myself putting my all into some special girl who is worth it

i'm being lazy instead of quoting but the message has a million quotes in it making it hard

Nutty-

"In fact she's the one that at times says things to me that makes me think she still has a thing for me. I always try to keep the conversations on a friendship level."

"It's just difficult sometimes to go back to being friends with someone after being romantic for 3 years off and on"

these two statements speak volumes.

i was in love with one of my friends that didn't love me back (it was a one sided fucked up gay fancying straight type shitty deal ), they went to another country, we lost touch then 3 years later when they came back we met up and i no longer had any of those feelings that had plagued me since i was 17 at school. would this have worked out as well if i kept talking to him every week on the phone/facebook? i'd prob be still in the grips of bullshit delusion. the other thing is for you to find someone else, but if like me when you got one love on your mind no-one new can seem up to spec in the slightest then think about it...

I am losing faith in true romance.

My first lover and I were together for 6 years. I dumped her because she just couldn't pull her weight in the relationship.

Present moment: I'm 3 years 1 month into the second serious relationship of my life. I'm contemplating dumping her too.

I'm not going to get into details about either relationship.

What I do know, is that in both relationships, I've poured myself into them fully and completely.

Both relationships left me feeling under appreciated and like I've been taken for granted.

I am a slave to sexual gratification and fear of loneliness. Maybe it's best if I just forget about romance, dump the girlfriend once and for all, and just take care of myself.

My current girlfriend and I talked about getting married because we love each other so. But maybe love isn't enough. romance and love is over rated. Romance and true love has reliably left me feeling sad and unfulfilled.

I've been gifted with some of the best lovers anyone could ask for, and all I feel now is hurt and afraid

I spilled the beans today in conversation. It wasn't something that was planned but just kind of surfaced after she said something about how it was too bad we couldn't talk about relationships or something to that affect (that was a mutual agreement after we broke up). The only reason she brought that up was because I was asking her what was going on because of a distressing post she made on Facebook. Apparently it had to do with her current relationship or something but I didn't ask. Either way, once again she pretty much shut down and said she wasn't ready to talk about it (why she broke up with me again), although she did say we would some other time. It's kind of frustrating because until I can get some closure I'm always going to be wondering. I don't know if I'll ever totally get over her but it would be nice to at least know her side of things.

I spilled the beans today in conversation. It wasn't something that was planned but just kind of surfaced after she said something about how it was too bad we couldn't talk about relationships or something to that affect (that was a mutual agreement after we broke up). The only reason she brought that up was because I was asking her what was going on because of a distressing post she made on Facebook. Apparently it had to do with her current relationship or something but I didn't ask. Either way, once again she pretty much shut down and said she wasn't ready to talk about it (why she broke up with me again), although she did say we would some other time. It's kind of frustrating because until I can get some closure I'm always going to be wondering. I don't know if I'll ever totally get over her but it would be nice to at least know her side of things.

she will never want you to have closure because its about feeding her ego and keeping you on a line waiting in vain like bob marley.

this just yet again confirms that hypothesis

she will never want you to have closure because its about feeding her ego and keeping you on a line waiting in vain like bob marley.

this just yet again confirms that hypothesis

We're not together anymore so nobody's really waiting for anything... I think it's more that when she gets emotional she just shuts down. I don't think she's doing it on purpose but it's frustrating.

Last edited:
i was in love with one of my friends that didn't love me back (it was a one sided fucked up gay fancying straight type shitty deal ), they went to another country, we lost touch then 3 years later when they came back we met up and i no longer had any of those feelings that had plagued me since i was 17 at school. would this have worked out as well if i kept talking to him every week on the phone/facebook? i'd prob be still in the grips of bullshit delusion. the other thing is for you to find someone else, but if like me when you got one love on your mind no-one new can seem up to spec in the slightest then think about it...

I just saw this. It's very true and I have the same problem. If I'm in love even after a breakup, I can't go out with someone else. I can chat and hang out but nothing romantic.

Nutty, at this point if you really want closure, you have nothing to lose but ask. I dislike people who are one way with me to my face and another behind my back and she kinda seems this way. Instead of just being straight with you she strings you along. I would just ask why. But the dark depressing side of that is you might get the answer your gut is telling you and you won't like it. It might be better just to cut contact.