• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cocaine Is coke use really at epidemic levels in Sydney. Some in the Murdoch press say it is

Couldnt read the article old phone.Epidemic well law enforcement dismantled a number of syndicates 'dial a dealer'just a few years back and continue to do so.The phones contained 1000s of customer numbers regulary purchasing.This was just in Sydney.Take into account the large busts of cocaine hitting our shores and the ridiculous expensive price of coke....there is a huge demand for it ...remember wealthy ppl dont care they want they pay whatever and theres no shortage of demand.

The cops will be behind the story, calling it an epidemic to put pressure on the state and fed govt for more funding. Epidemic that is in Sydney mainly occurring in the eastern suburbs and north shore, i don't think so. I'm surprised the media didn't call it a pandemic, bunch of numpties.. 91 deaths annually from 900,000 weekly users, hardly a big problem, they didn't bother to put the hospitalisation numbers in the story, assume they are similarly unimpressive.

You dont even hear about any deaths from coke in the news.....or any substances really .Epidemic vs consumption ...meth is far more used than coke ...another expensive rip off

You dont even hear about any deaths from coke in the news.....or any substances really .Epidemic vs consumption ...meth is far more used than coke ...another expensive rip off
And was coke the cause of those deaths, or people who had it in their system when they died? If one thing the pandemic should have proven to everyone, you can't trust government orgnisations when it comes to statistics.

You cant trust the Govt period ...been listening to their bullshit 50+ years...same as news ..they just say what they want you to hear.This country wasnt too bad 40 years ago and earlier ...now its just fkn ruined.

@AussieJoe What did you think of the Whitlam govnt Joe? Or the mob before them or after them?

That's all before my time but my parents came to Australia mid 1970s decade and life was better across the board esp for the working aussies and new arrivals.

How do you rank the late 1970s (or whenever it happened) script only system of pharmacy medications like dysoxin and other meds? what about the abolishment of the white Australia policy on the Aus drug scene. I personally like the abolishment of the white Australia policy (my Mum's dad was Chinese) However I was told a hit of smack cost $100 AUD and crystal meth was unheard of back before the Australian drug scene got ethnic.

But ask anyone getting a job in the 1970s was f#ck easy. Public service was a big employer. that all changed

Now straya is a deeply divided US style place (ok not as much as America but we still have our fair share of have nots vs haves)

@AussieJoe What did you think of the Whitlam govnt Joe? Or the mob before them or after them?

That's all before my time but my parents came to Australia mid 1970s decade and life was better across the board esp for the working aussies and new arrivals.

How do you rank the late 1970s (or whenever it happened) script only system of pharmacy medications like dysoxin and other meds? what about the abolishment of the white Australia policy on the Aus drug scene. I personally like the abolishment of the white Australia policy (my Mum's dad was Chinese) However I was told a hit of smack cost $100 AUD and crystal meth was unheard of back before the Australian drug scene got ethnic.

But ask anyone getting a job in the 1970s was f#ck easy. Public service was a big employer. that all changed

Now straya is a deeply divided US style place (ok not as much as America but we still have our fair share of have nots vs haves)
the wealth gap has definitely widened. The expansion in the availability of credit in the 1980's has a lot to do with it.

Basically financial deregulation of the 80's in Australia which allowed for:
relaxation of bank lending controls - enabling banks to compete for deposits and loans.
relaxation of interest rate controls - prior to deregulation the government set the interest rate, relaxation meant the market set the interest rate.
barriers to entry in banking were relaxed - allowing foreign banks to enter the Australian financial system
controls on capital flows were abolished - allowing banks to source capital from the global market
the exchange rate was floated - stopping the influence of foreign capital flows on domestic liquidity and allowing the banks to use market conditions to calculate interest rates.
Basically it meant that the Government moved away from banning or restricting types of investment or economic activity to a system based on open market operations which theoretically resulted in a more stable economy.

In reality this meant that there was a surge in credit growth during the 80's allowing people to buy more and pay more for things. What's the biggest investment most people make in their life? In Australia it is their home. Who can afford to finance the credit or debt - the have's, who cannot afford to finance debt - the have nots. What you see in that chart is an explosion of the cost of housing. During the 80's generally one income could support a mortgage, now you need 2 incomes to support the mortgage and come up with the deposit of 20% which, based on the median price of a property in Sydney ($1,245,000) is lets say $250k. Hard to do if you are single, have a decent paying job and paying rent. Almost impossible to do if you don't have a decent paying job and are paying rent.

Those already in the market during the 80's have seen their wealth explode and with that the opportunity for further investment in amongst other things real estate (nice tax break through negative gearing) through use of equity etc... Which has further fuelled the growith in house prices as well as rent prices. While the have - not's find it harder to enter the housing market beacuase of the requirements for the inital deposit and the ability to service the loan, combine that with increasing rents and you get the story...

Apart from that I read a stat recently about Australia's 130 odd billionaires having the same wealth as the 7 million odd people in the bottom 30 percentile of wealth...

I would say it's all hype to make headlines, and as another user said, they are printing what the police tell them to print.

If we have such a big coke epidemic why is it just in 1 state? And if there is so much coke around, why haven't we seen a crack market emerge?

Another story on the coke pandemic...
Interesting story on the conviction rates of those in possession of coke compared to those in possession of other illicit substances - wonder why that is? Guess its a reflection of society in general.

@Boku We came out in 1966 from UK to Aus ...another 6 yrs later ...young lad first job working for fkn Hoover making washing machine parts...cant remember the wkly pay...but everything was cheap to buy...petrol food rent etc etc and money left over to party.Drugs very cheap clean .You want a job look in the local paper pick and choose out of 8 or more in your town no need to travel .I thought it was a big thing when i had to travel 3 suburbs/towns away from where i lived.No internet ...no mobile phones ...no cctv on every street ...no computers.Life was less complicated ...rip off were hardly heard of though they did happen .Scrapping white aus policy best thing govt did at time yeah.I remember going to a couple of missions where indigenous folk lived....in far nth qld maybe 76 living in fairly poor conditions ....fast forward 50 years later these same folk living in similar conditions today ....sad reflection of govts gone by .