• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol is alcohol a suitable drug for preventing seizures on Tramadol?

ovo1024

Bluelighter
So I know all about how tram lowers the seizure threshold, not to exceed 400mg, etc. Well since Benzos have anti convulsant properties would that mean alcohol does to since it acts on GABA as well and is a cns depressant? I really don't know which is why I figured id ask.

Benzodiazepines interact with a different subunit of GABA than alcohol does

To a small degree yes, I would say so. Both act on GABA-A, benzos being allosteric modulators and ethanol acts directly iirc.
But combining CNS depressants poses a great risk itself and it will fuck up your liver in no time, so don't do it

Last edited:
it's really not though- alcohol would usually relieve benzo wd for like half an hour for me, and then make them a hundred times worse. It's really not a sufficient way to raise the seizure threshold.

I know alcohol acts on GABA-B subunits instead of GABA-A just wanted to know if having a few beers would do the same as a low dose benzo in raising the seizure threshold

Theoretically it sounds like it could work, but i can promise you that it doesnt. Ive seen and read far too many experiences where a dose of tramadol under 400mg (the normal seizure threshold) caused a seizure when it was mixed with even low to moderate amounts of alcohol. Please avoid this combo. Sadly, tramadol does not seem to play well with other drugs.

Theoretically it sounds like it could work, but i can promise you that it doesnt. Ive seen and read far too many experiences where a dose of tramadol under 400mg (the normal seizure threshold) caused a seizure when it was mixed with even low to moderate amounts of alcohol. Please avoid this combo. Sadly, tramadol does not seem to play well with other drugs.
This could be due to alcohol being a "receptor whore", meaning that it binds to a lot of different receptors while benzos for example are very specific. Or the half life is to low and you get kind of a rebound anticonvulsant effect.

This could be due to alcohol being a "receptor whore", meaning that it binds to a lot of different receptors while benzos for example are very specific. Or the half life is to low and you get kind of a rebound anticonvulsant effect.
Yes I definitely know what you mean by a short half life, whenever I get drunk off hard liquor I pass out wake up 4 or 5 hours later with anxiety and other unwanted effects.