• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

IOP Assignments/journal

CBNJ2357

Bluelighter
Having done residential, php, and being in my 2nd round of iop (3rd ever) I was thinking of starting a thread summing up the topics we covered along with my "weekly assignments" so people can see what it entails, follow along, or even try the shit themselves on the threads.

The most recent IOP was 8 weeks so Im expecting similar length again, but with different assignments. Any interest?

IOP BASICS/HOW GROUP WORKS
Ok, I'll try and post the first 8 from round 1 in IOP recently along with the couple weeks I'm into round 2 to catch up, then post the rest of the sessions as it goes along. Along with the assignments and the discussions the group I attended 3 hrs and 3X a week also had us pick and discuss a page from Daily Reflections, Just For Today, NA: It Works How and Why, Alcoholics Anonymous, or other recovery based texts. I don't remember what I had chose in the earlier sessions but may post what I picked as I catch up with my current sessions. There are also randomized UAs and daily breathalyzer checks. We're required to attend 3+ recover based meetings a week, read at least the first 12 chapters in the AA or NA book, obtain a home group and service commitment, and have a sponsor by the third week with whom we're to have at least 3 contacts a week (with at least 1 being in person). All sponsor communications and meeting attended are logged and submitted weekly. Family day is also once a week, and their attendance is encouraged. Family is also asked to do "list work" which is simply a format of "When you, I felt, because I believed..." in regards to different situations they faced dealing with your addiction. Assignments are due weekly and are presented in front of other group members.

We generally open the group with a round of personal check-ins including:
My name is:
My drug of choice was:
I've been sober for ____ days:
Today I'm feeling:
Step I'm working on:
What page are you on in AA/NA book:
Discuss any triggers:
This week ____ will be joining me:
This week I'm presenting _____ assignment:

Following the conclusion of everyone checking in, we start with the following prayers
- Serenity prayer - "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"
- Third Step Prayer - "God I offer myself to thee - to build with me and to with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love, and Thy way of life. May I do thy will always" {Side note: I've heard several different versions of the "3rd step prayer" in different meetings}
- Seventh Step prayer - "My creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength as I go out from here to do your bidding" {Again, have heard other variations in different places}

With the basics out of the way, I'll start with my own current check in then proceed with the first sessions/assignment. Feel free to copy and add your own answers if you feel like it.

Last edited:
IOP ROUND 1 - WEEK 1
Check in:
My name is: TR
My drug of choice was: pretty much everything, main thing was heroin
I've been sober for ____ days: 26 days
Today I'm feeling: excited - finally got a job and with a record shit ain't easy (has to be feeling, good, bad 'describes hamburgers')
Step I'm working on: 5th step
What page are you on in AA/NA book: Chapter 3 AA (currently, finished NA during round 1 though)
Discuss any triggers: I know I got a few days off until next session and possible UA and my friend hit me saying he's got extra
This week ____ will be joining me: Usually my mother and step-father, occasionally my sponsor
This week I'm presenting _____ assignment: 1st assignment - 'Help Us Get to Know You'

Summary of topic for the week: Importance of Boundaries in Recovery
Basically given a lecture/handout entitled Embracing the Authentic Self by David Sack, M.D. Suggests that setting boundaries is an essential skill not just in recovery, but in life in general. Addicts in dysfunctional homes are often 'rigid' with their boundaries (suppressed emotions, 'building a wall') or to 'enmeshed' (people pleasing that robs you of personal identity). Goes on to explain how it can later lead to increased risk of depression, anxiety, compulsive behaviors, and of course substance abuse issues.

The lecture went on to talk about setting healthy boundaries - essentially defining what kind of treatment is acceptable and establishing consequences for those that violate them. Makes mention multiple times that healthy boundaries are not threats or acts of manipulation. Also, gives examples of unhealthy boundaries like overly sharing, spilling secrets to strangers, etc. To make healthy ones it suggests following these guidelines:
-create personal bill of rights
-identify emotions
-set limits
-assert your needs
-listen to instincts
-defend established boundaries

Assignment #1 - Help Us Get to Know You
Where were you born? - Cliffwood Beach NJ
Any Siblings? Identify them - 6 half siblings, all under 14.
Current living situation - Just got of rehab, left sober living after two weeks, and back with my parents in a shitty town in AZ.
Any children? - N/A
Are you employed? If so, where? - Just got a new job today, start Tuesday at a gas station as cashier.
Any spiritual beliefs? - Scientific Pantheism
Goals in life? - Live a sober and successful life which to me isn't about money but more about doing what I enjoy.
Why are you seeking treatment? - 'cliche' of being sick and tired of being sick and tired. Probation pushing helps too.
What experiences or consequences led to treatment - violating UAs for probation, 3rd overdose March of last year.
Who helped you get into treatment? - My family and probation officer.
How has drugs affected you:
-Physically? - Overdosed 3 times, one grand mal seizure from hitting head 'falling out'.
-Socially? - Lost what would have been my wife and a lot of friends. Those family and friends still around distance themselves.
-Occupationally/school? - Had to leave my last job to enter treatment, dropped out of college twice in active addiction.
-Financially? - Had blown all the money I had stacked, lost wages, fines from arrests, not to mention cost of the habit.
-Legally? - Arrested felony distribution of weed (18), Suboxone poss (dropped 22), possession w/intent to distribute heroin (27)
How had is affected family relationships? - obvious distrust, anxiety from prior arrests and overdoses
Treatment Goals? - Find tools to stay off of heroin and hopefully gain a more positive outlook on life in general.
How can we help? - Accountability from drug tests, information on coping skills, building a new social circle.
What's your biggest obstacle? - been using in some form 2/3rds my life. Drug using/dealing is only lifestyle I've basically known.
What drugs have you done? Age of first use? -alcohol (sip 8, drunk 11), cocaine (13), crack (18), ritalin (13), meth (28) , marijuana (12), benzos (basically all, 13/14), PCP (22), Shrooms (22), LSD (22), RX opiates (Percs 14, Oxy sniffed 18, Oxymorphone 22), opium (16), heroin (21), Ketamine (15), MDMA/MDA (15), DXM (14), Zolpidem (14), sure missing a couple.

Last edited:
IOP ROUND 1 - WEEK 2
Summary of topic of the week: 7 Stages of Grief
The topic of the week was the 7 stages of grief based on the modified Kubler-Ross model which is based on her book Death and Dying (1969).According to her the seven stages are as follows:
- Shock - The initial paralysis at hearing the bad news/perceived loss.
- Denial - Trying to avoid the inevitable
- Anger - Bottled-up emotions that typically are expressed through frustration and anger.
- Bargaining - Seeking a way out usually through compromise. (ex: I swear God if you spare him, I'll never____ again.")
- Depression - Final realization of the inevitable loss.
- Testing - Seeking realistic solutions. (**This is typically not a stage in most works pertaining to grief, but is in hers**)
- Acceptance - Finally finding the way to move on from the loss.

Another part of the lecture focused on a 10 step process of grief which included:
- Shock
- Emotional Release
- Depression
- Physical Symptoms
- Panic
- Guilt
- Hostility
- Inactivity
- Gradual Recovery
- Adjusting into acceptance

Both lectures made it a point to emphasize that these stages can be experienced in any order, some concurrently, and maybe not at all in others. Both also listed different types of loss, moreso than death that generally comes to mind first including:
- Divorce
- Loss of a parent in childhood (through divorce or abandonment)
- Loss of a child (miscarriage, abortion, forced adoption)
- Loss of childhood (growing up early, forced to take on adult responsibilities causing the loss of freedom in childhood)
- Moving
- Recovery (not just drugs, but all compulsive behaviors, drugs, sex, gambling, etc)

Both lectures also provided some typical methods of coping with grief which included:
- Utilizing other coping skills for dealing with emotions
- Prayer, meditation (often say prayer is talking to God, meditation is listening for an answer)
- Journaling
- Talking about it/counseling/therapy
- Exercise
- Hobbies (drawing, music, writing, etc)

In addition to all of this, many of the IOP participants also had gone through their residential inpatient program, where "Grief Week" was discussed. Essentially, during "Grief Week" we were tasked with painting a rock with one side being all the things we wanted to gain in recovery, and the other side being everything we've lost. Then we were to carry this rock around with us at all times throughout the weekend (to symbolically represent the unprocessed grief we carry around, until 'the weight has been lifted'). On the last day of the 'Grief Week' we were to remain silent throughout the morning and too write two letters. The first letter was a letter to our addiction, the second one was another to one of our losses. At the conclusion of it in the afternoon, the letters were collected and burned, and we were given a balloon as well as an card. On the card we wrote one thing we wanted to get rid of, whether was included in the letters or not, tied to the balloon and ceremoniously released by everyone while 'Amazing Grace' played.

At first this exercise was "cheesy as fuck" in my opinion, and thought it was pointless. However, I must confess that since writing the letters and doing this, I've thought about the grievances a SIGNIFICANT amount less.

Assignment #2 - Timeline
Basically, this assignment entailed taking a large piece of butcher paper or poster board and constructing an actual timeline of your drug history to be presented in front of the group. You're supposed to include any significant drug related events in addition to the drugs used, and how often (if different from previous years). The purpose of this assignment is to give you a visual representation of your drug career, as well as the ability to clearly see how it has progressed from the beginning. Since I don't have the original timeline to take a picture of, I'll simply list the ages and stuff below.

Age 11 -
First time getting drunk, tried cigarettes didn't see the point (started decade later though), Started smoking MJ, multiple times a day within weeks.
Age 12 -
Started selling mj (I often say my cross addiction isn't just another drug but the entire lifestyle)
Age 13 -
Prescribed Ritalin (which I stopped taking within weeks), Tried DXM (used occasionally)
Age 14 -
Tried Benzos (occasionally)
Age 15 -
Drinking increased as HS began. I tried (occasionally) and moved cocaine. First experiences (also occassionally) of RX opiates - generally vicodin or percocet.
Age 16 - Tried Ketamine (once), Started using and moving (weekends) MDMA/MDA.
Age 17 -
Drinking further increased in frequency in quantity, still smoking MJ multiple times daily, all others occasionally.
Age 18 -
RX benzos and painkillers (at that time oxycodone IR 30mgs, Oxycontin 40, 80mg) increased as access increased to do the fact I started moving them. Arrested for felony distribution of marijuana.
Age 19 -
Sober for first 9 months, Cocaine (every weekend between UAs) which became crack after learning to cook, increase in benzo and painkiller usage.
Age 20 -
MDMA slowed as quality dropped, drinking (socially), MJ back to all day everyday, RX painkillers progressed even further
Age 21 -
Drinking increased as I hit bar scene, RX painkillers multiple times, daily (up to 300mgs/day), Mixed benzos and painkillers (which led to first OD), Started heroin (occasionally when rx wasn't around)
Age 22 -
Everything slowed to support my opiate habit despite moving them, introduced to opana (oxymorphone), 2nd overdose (480mg oxymorphone, got pissed did 40mg more in ER parking lot smdh), Tried mushrooms (twice), Tried LSD (occasionally), Started PCP (weekends)
Age 23 -
Arrested for suboxone (charges dropped), failed intervention, opana and heroin usage increased even further
Age 24 -
Took PCP coming down from LSD and went into IOP following day (August 2012). Was clean until Dec, where I went back to smoking multiple times daily. Still moved shit even when sober.
AGE 25 -
Gradually went back to everything (occasionally) except opiates.
Age 26 -
Arrested June possession of cocaine, heroin, mj as passenger (driver took rap and used his PTI), arrested possession w/intent heroin in Oct 2015
Age 27 -
MJ multiple times daily upon release, Found two wax folds did heroin (first time in 3+ years - was back daily within weeks)
Age 28 - Heroin usage progressed again, got shit transferred to AZ (in effort to stop moving shit) and tried BTH after 3 days. Meth (first usage, and occasionally - would have been sooner honestly but was only really a biker/gay club drug in NJ)
Age 29 -
3rd overdose (hit with narcan a few times in PHX), coke and crack again (occasionally) heroin was all day everyday until August 23rd when I checked into detox. Finished first round of treatment Wed before Thanksgiving (90+ days clean) to relapse three days afterward. Back into IOP two weeks later.

So from this you can see that I always had a taste for drugs and a somewhat addictive personality, though my worst was probably between 20 and 22 where I became an obvious addict, had overdoses, and began mixing/using whatever the hell I can get my hands on.

Last edited:
Seeing it all laid out like this kinda makes me realize how unrefined drug treatment is. I mean professionals really don't seem to have any answers. Painting rocks making posters it seems more like a sick joke then any kind of medical treatment. Maybe I'm just cynical. I'll never forget the shock when I went to rehab and found out pretty much all drug treatment is based off a self help book written 80 years ago. I litterally thought they where joking.

What's your opinion OP? Is any of this really helping or are you staying clean because prison is hanging over your head?

Haha nah man I hear you. I'm not that big into NA/AA or organized religion. The grief week shit with the rocks caught a lot of slack from the patients, myself included. However, somehow I'd say the letters and balloon releasing has helped since i don't think/dream about my friend dying leaving her son behind or the girl I was with 7 years who pretends I'm dead anywhere near as much. That was something done in residential though.

Prison isn't much of a deterrent - I've gotten high basically whole time on probation. Either was my own possible death, but my mental health issues may explain part of that.

With that said, honestly I'm on the fence as how to answer. A lot of things I never really thought of, or least seen from a third party perspective (such as my drug progression, effects on my ex, etc) until I was sober and forced to. However, none of this I feel keeps me clean other than the accountability from the drug tests. Knowing its coming and risking being called out is enough to get me to say no when I consider it.

Then again, I'm not much of an emotional or openly sharing person to begin with. It seems most people benefit from simply getting a lot of this off their chests and.the community they find with others in recovery.

My second round of this recent IOP I was forced into basically with my exact words being "all this shit won't stop me from using if i want to, i've heard it all before". This is something I believe to be true - least in my case.

Most of the things are merely suggestions to help you, but in my opinion (and experience) you have to want it. I mean hell they say people, places, and things yet I sold my drug of choice for 3+ years in s house full of people using or I've used with. People would ask if I did it here and there and I'd respond with if I did you'd know cus I'd be high everyday. Once i came to accept I couldn't do heroin only once it got a lot easier. Then I convinced myself I could - only to begin another 2 year run.

I also don't agree with a lot they say. Like I 110% don't believe I cannot touch any drugs ever. Everything other than opiates I can binge, catch myself and simply stop. And you'll never convince me smoking will lead me to heroin. Not once have I had a drink and gotten an uncontrollable urge to cop heroin as a result. If either does they did a shitty job for 3+ years ha.

Everyone is different though, and if it works for them fuck it more power to them.

Last edited:
Doesn't help I can sum up 72 session hours in 8 posts either. Many times I've attributed the dropping of LSD coming down from PCP to my 3+ year break from opiates. It was a memorable trip and forced me to see my addiction how others seen it, which again I feel is the primary purpose of their assignments. They hate when I say it, even more when I tell them Bill W (AA co-founder/author) thought it could help with the 'spiritual awakening' or 'psychic change' needed in recovery.

The worst and most frustrating part of any treatment for me was their lack of knowledge. All those years of school and experience how the fuck do I, a marketing major drop-out, felon, and drug addict, get stuck explaining shit to them! (What's oxymorphone? Ayuhasca? Jwh-018?)

That and the disbelief of my habit. In 2012 the intake asked my daily tolerance. I told them a brick a day easy. Dude tried saying it was impossible. I was like i can call people that'd tell you or shit give me your paycheck and I'll friggen show ya.

I digress though, and again even with my complaints, if anyone reading this feels they need treatment look into it, try it. It works for some, but any attempt at recovery is a step in the right direction.