• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Interesting observation about Kratom.

JK474

Greenlighter
I searched the internet extensively and couldn't find anything about this, so I figured I'd post about it here.

Now, my buddy has been a junky in the past. He has often tried this with little luck, usually just making things worse. Using an opiate to detox from another opiate and escaping with minimum withdrawal symptoms. I'm sure a lot of people think about doing this and a lot of people have come to the conclusion it doesn't ever work. He's been clean for a few years and recently started using kratom, due to working for a place that distributes it and getting it for free. He realized after 3 months or so at 30-35 grams daily, he was having some withdrawal when stopping. Remembering his past addictions and how they snowball'd from this point, and not wanting to repeat past mistakes, he tried to quit. The withdrawal was mild but still enough for my weak buddy to not be able to resist the urge to pick up more. He theorized that due to the many compounds that make up kratom, and only one or two of them being agonists, and also due to how short kratom withdrawal generally is, that he could use another opiate for a few days to quit it and escape the cycle. Every other time he had done this he failed, ended up on suboxone or somesuch. Naivety I suppose is what convinced him to try it again. Specifically, he thought possibly after some research that fentanyl may have action on receptors that are untouched by kratom, and so in theory he could use it for the extent of the withdrawal (3 days or so, he guessed, due to this fairly short habit). This is day 4 for him now, and he is pleasantly surprised. It worked. No withdrawal symptoms at all besides mild restlessness when he should be sleeping. He did not stick to his plan of using the bare minimum of fentanyl either, he smoked (i do not condone this) two 100mcg fentanyl patches in 3 days, spent the entire time high.

The reason i'm posting this is because I can't find any other examples of this on the internet, and I wanted to let people know. Possibly someone with more knowledge on the subject can confirm that the alkaloids in Red Maeng Da Kratom do not work on the same receptors as fentanyl, thus giving them time to recover when switching between them briefly. Either way, my buddy is extremely happy as the only thing he's feeling after a 3-4 month kratom binge and 3 days fentanyl binge is a little bit of tiredness.

Sorry if any rules were broken or if this is in the wrong section, I signed up specifically to share this information after not being able to find any info about it on the internet. People know kratom can be used to quit opiates but apparently the opposite is true (depending on the opiate) as well. I'm not suggesting people try this, as fentanyl is incredibly dangerous and even my buddy who has immense experience with it has OD'd before from an amount he can usually handle. This is purely to try to understand -why- it worked.

Last edited:
Also, I should add that it's been 24 hours since he last dosed with fentanyl at this point. Surely he would be in withdrawal by now if it were coming.

Kratom, even after many months of heavy use, didn't have much in the way of physical withdrawal symptoms for me, mainly being a bit tired. Definitely nothing compared to withdrawing from opioids like heroin, or, ya know, something even stronger (and far more dangerous) like fentanyl. No, a few days shojdlcause withdrawal, but are you really surprised you didn't mind coming off the kratom when fucked up on a powerful opiod?

I know what he was aiming for, but im not convinced it really accomplished what happened the way he thinks. The alkaloids in Kratom have mu opioid receptor agonism, as does fentanyl. Kratom has some agonism on the delta and kappa receptors, but to a much lower extent. If you're dependent on kratom, the main aspect of the withdrawal would be from the mu agonism, which is also the main action of fentanyl too. Any withdrawal symptoms from the kappa/delta agonism would be hard to notice under the mu symptoms, and since the fentanyl works mainly on mu receptors, the bulk of the withdrawal would be covered by the fentanyl acting on the receptors that were being affected the most by kratom.

My guess: The fentanyl has a much higher binding affinity for the mu receptors than kratoms alkaloids would. Because of this, using enough fentanyl will get you well/high but wont cause up regulation fast enough so you can come off the kratom? Idk, doesn't sound right.

all in all, coming off kratom by switching to fent is a pretty bad idea.

Last edited: