View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Interesting notice with DXM

jambabomba

Bluelighter
So if someone has read my posts knows I have been doing DXM daily about week on/week off schedule now and I've took about 400-800mg daily with grapefruit juice so that I have been at about 2-3 plateu all day. This has helped with benzo withdrawals and I've been able to reduce my clonazepam dose from 1,5mg to 0,25mg in under three weeks without any withdrawals (this is seventh day at 0,25mg/day and just about three weeks now from 1,5mg). My sleep has been good and anxiety allmost zero etc.

Anyway this post was because something else I noticed during this period.

My memory and verbal output has took a leap better. I have been really amazed that during DXM use I have allmost picture memory so that I can easily remember mathematic sentences and told them to others and also difficult words comes to my mind. I have easily learnt big digits even that fourteen (14) length numbers I have been able to remember in just with few looks! This hasn't been before. I'have had very good memory also before so that in standard psychological tests (done in the rehab center I was before) I have been able to remember those 9 digits back and forth but never 14 digits! And numbers kind of draw pictures in front of me.

Has anyone else experienced improved memory and/or other mental/psychological skills during DXM use?

Edit: Infact, I learnt yeasterday one long bank account number in few seconds and I can still remember it easily. Never happened before so fast and easy. Numbers and words feels now more like inked to my mind.

Last edited:
I have used it to help during my withdrawals from gabaergics drugs (I have been addicted to benzos, phenibut and Lyrica). I have posted threads regarding my DXM use and my withdrawals in Other Drugs.

I'm sure the effects of frequent large doses of DXM will eventually harm your brain and memory. It's not a safe or healthy thing to be doing.

I'm sure the effects of frequent large doses of DXM will eventually harm your brain and memory. It's not a safe or healthy thing to be doing.

Why you are so sure about it? Olney's theory? I don't really believe that Olney's theory about nmda antagonists and neurotoxicity. Remember they injected strong stuff like MK-801 directly to rats brains. DXM isn't like MK-801 and rodent's brain metabolism is different. And especially when we are talking cases like mine where there is possibly much of excess glutamate from gabaergic withdrawals. My intuitio is saying that the benefits in situations like these are larger than possible negative effects. Especially when there is nothing evidence from DXM causing neurotoxicity or other problems in rodents or humans. I think long use can maybe cause some reversible changes to neurotransmitters or something but that is the thing with all other similar drugs like SNRI efexor etc.

Or do you have some real evidence that DXM is harmful to brains? And especially in situations like mine where there is possible excess glutamate secretion. I haven't noticed anything negative when I have stopped DXM use. Instead it cured my depression and panic attacks and helped tremendously in withdrawals from benzos and phenibut. What I have found is that DXM might actually be good for your brains.

DXM's neuroprotective effects
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17848867

DXM's neuroprotective effects
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19619574

"Oral administration of dextromethorphan does not produce neuronal vacuolation in the rat brain."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17573115

DXM possible treatment for depression
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22401777

"Dextromethorphan as a potential rapid-acting antidepressant."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21367535

Really, DXM has cured (at least temporarily) my depression, boosted my social skills, alleviated panic attacks, alleviated tremendously withdrawal symptoms and the oddest (but sure nice) thing - boosted my cognitive abilities like memory. And I'm not joking now!

So I would be glad if you could offer at least something scientific material when you say you are sure of something. What makes you so sure in your opinion?

I'll go through those links later as I don't have the time right now, but this is the first time someone has tried to be convince me of DXM's (supposed) beneficial properties.
I agree with you about Olney's lesions, I don't think there is a big risk for humans using DXM.

I've gotten most of my information from erowid and firsthand opinions from others so I'm certainly no expert. But from what I've heard/read it seems that frequent, long term use (especially in high doses) eventually takes a toll on a persons brain, leaving them with long lasting or even (in more rare/extreme cases) permanent brain impairments (like trouble concentrating, speaking as fluently as you used to, feeling burned out).

Plus, how do you take your DXM? Because if you're chugging those sugary syrups constantly, that's eventually going to do some damage as well.

Personally I myself use DXM occasionally, but I would never dream of using it as frequently as you do. It always has felt like like a fairly dirty drug, even though it can be enjoyable at times.

I'm not sure about Olney's theory. I was going from first hand observations of a friend of mine who went to rehab, mainly for abusing DXM. I bet even he would say it's not a good idea.

Occasional use is a different story. Is it alright with your liver?

I haven't read anywhere it could damage liver or kidneys. Do you know it could? Haven't had any problems at least. Only diarhea, heartburn and mild nausea. Heartburn I think is mainly from those sorbitol, fructose, maltitol etc. feeding bad bacteria and yeast leading to increased intra-abnominal pressure. Nausea might be also from that. It is greatly diminished when drinking plenty of water with those cough syrups. Also diarhea is diminished after few days when intestinal bacteria gets used to sorbitol.

Yes I might stop my use for a while in case if this might cause more problems in future. Maybe just use 60-120mg twice per day for helping with withdrawals and for my depression and anxiety (if I will have again issues with those).

Also.. Thinking that one theory of depression is inflammation I found interesting paper suggesting DXM might help in schizhoprhenia by affecting inflammation. Maybe this mechanism of action might explain partly why it would ease depression and anxiety (besides its NMDA antagonist and SNRI effects wich all could be beneficial in depression and anxiety)

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k2077475147qnm22/

I'm still interested though am I the only one person here who has experienced improved cognitive skills during DXM use?? Hasn't anyone else experienced improved memory and/or verbal recal or at least something positive?

Edit: If english was my native language or I just knew it better I would write much more detailed story about my experiences with improved cognitive skills. It is now just a little hard me to try to explain it to you guys. It so deep and my understanding of english isn't that deep.

Anyway it was something that my overall understanding of this world was increased and I could found connection in things I haven't found before and I found rationality in things wich I haven't seen before. Like my eyes were opened or like I had got a "third eye". I don't mean now something "trip" to see God because I have been fully aware of my surroundings all the time and infact I was in library reading when I found I have gotten super memory. So I wasn't intoxicated and hallucinating. I haven't got any hallucinations or those kind of twisted things from DXM despite that my doses have been sometimes over 800mg a day with grapefruit juice. Allso my motor control has been normal all the time and I have been riding bike (just telling that to demonstrate you that I have been fully functional with it despite my doses).

Last edited:
Wow. I've been waiting patiently to find someone on google or in a forum that has the same feelings and positive outcomes from taking high doses of DXM. I have experienced everything you speak of including the feeling that I have a third eye. I've explained this to people- that DXM is really really good for my brain with increased memory and recall. My ex-wife actually doesn't let me see my kids all due to this drug I take on a regular schedule. I also have absent or decreased depression and less social anxiety. I wouldn't listen to Ney Sayers.I have read also that Olneys lesions are a myth. But the one thing I read was don't ingest grapefruit while taking DXM. Or do you think that is incorrect? Anyway, I love feeling smarter and seeing life as full of puzzles that I can now easily solve. Excellent post.

Wow. I've been waiting patiently to find someone on google or in a forum that has the same feelings and positive outcomes from taking high doses of DXM. I have experienced everything you speak of including the feeling that I have a third eye. I've explained this to people- that DXM is really really good for my brain with increased memory and recall. My ex-wife actually doesn't let me see my kids all due to this drug I take on a regular schedule. I also have absent or decreased depression and less social anxiety. I wouldn't listen to Ney Sayers.I have read also that Olneys lesions are a myth. But the one thing I read was don't ingest grapefruit while taking DXM. Or do you think that is incorrect? Anyway, I love feeling smarter and seeing life as full of puzzles that I can now easily solve. Excellent post.
Yes. Nice to see - allthough years later - that someone else has also had same kind of experiences with DXM use.

Allthough I have to say now after years have passed and I have not used DXM in many years that it worked about two years and boosted mood and cognitive abilities but after that it stopped working and cognitive abilities started to decline. And I mean I felt like I was robbed cognitive abilities and going lower than what was baseline before its use. Memory seemed to be affected negatively by huge leap suddenly - I still remember that moment when I suddenly forgot what I was trying to say - and at that moment the magic of DXM was mainly gone..

Anyway I continued to use DXM despite it stopped providing cognitive or mood boosting effects and kind of got addicted to just using it as a habit. Now in retrospect, I think that was a mistake and one reasons that led eventually to mania/messianic syndrome. Because that DXM use kind of ingrained with my intense spiritual inquiry which occured same time with its final years of use and this obsessive search for God was kind of manic (I was diagnosed with OCD too, but that might be more a personality trait than disease) and I fasted, isolated in to my house, decided to suddenly stop all my drugs including gabaergics cold turkey (benzos and baclofen at dose 200mg/d + pregabalin) and developed mania/psychosis in where consciousness made a mistake and thought ego was God speaking to me. Partly it was because of this unconscious need to see God asap and if it is not seen fast enough then ego will make God out from itself.

Well, I was hospitalized and given neuroleptics but of course they didn't help at all but only made things worse as propably because of gaba-b agonism causes dopamine release the abrupt discontinuation of high dose baclofen more resembled the situation of 'malignant neuroleptic syndrome' so neuroleptics did not help at all. In hospital I tried to tell I need baclofen but they don't have it as it is not on WHO's list of essential medicines and doctors don't usually know how to treat gaba-b withdrawals correctly. So that messianic syndrome and symptoms started to slowly fade away between two weeks and month and at the same time they had been giving Zyprexa and thought it was "starting to working" which was not true. It was only withdrawals from baclofen, phenibut and benzos which finally were stabilizing and neuroleptics had nothing to do with it. Correlation but not causality.

So long story short, DXM might work for some time but it may take it toll. Allthough for fairness I have to say that objectively there hasn't been noted any decline in cognition as I did quite extensive psychological studies on memory and cognition about a two years after that incident and memory was as good as it was in previous psychological tests and even the psychologist said that my scores on memory tests were best she had seen in his entire 30 year career on that facility. So not really objective proof of any decline but merely subjective feeling of some disturbance with memory and cognitive ability. So feelings of decline but not necessarily decline per se. And mainly I felt things improved after discontinuation of DXM so I would say it did not cause any long term damage. Maybe it did change a personality someway towards a little more neurotic and careful type. Brain MRI scan also did not show any abnormalities.

Last edited:
I used DXM about 2-3 times a week, some times less for a full 2 years. (longer if we count the years I didn't use it consecutively).

It definitely has antidepressant effects.
I'd also say it has spiritual and personality changing effects.

I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder a long time ago. I had trouble trusting anyone in relationships & if I even so much as got a hint that they could be "cheating" or something, I would totally hate them & become an asshole. Then I'd go psychotic if they tried to leave. I had no idea at the time I had BPD or that there was something seriously wrong with me.

After a really mess break up, I went on this 2+ year DXM journey. I started out a very jealous, insecure & angry person. And DXM totally wiped all of that out of me. At least while under the acute effects. Over time this helped me overcome these flaws in my personality. I still have them some times, but I handle them so much better thanks to DXM.

I dunno if it gave me any brain damage or not. I had a cat scan done last summer to figure out why I've had myoclonic jerks for years & they said my brain came back "normal". Which is surprising for some one who use to be a headbanger & has been doing drugs like opioids, stimulants, inhalants, cannabis, alcohol, etc.. for 20+ years.
So if Onley's really were an issue, I would think they would have seen that.

I stopped using DXM once I got on suboxone. It was mostly something I only ever did when I couldn't get opioids or better drugs. I left it alone for about 5 years & have recently tried delving back into it.
But even after 5 years, that "magic" seems to be gone. It can still give me a little euphoria & make music a little nicer, but I have been unable to get anything mind blowing out of it, save for some mild serotonin syndrome & puking. The antidepressant effect isn't as strong anymore either. Instead I usually feel pretty dead & lethargic the next day. So I wonder if the "50 trip" limit holds true & I'm at that limit. And no amount of tolerance breaks will probably bring it back either.
I still utilize low doses for tolerance reduction & prevention to other drugs though.

I still have a lot of love for DXM for those trips during those 2 years that it showed. Some were more powerful than psychedelics (although not as visual). Once I took about 1,000mg of DXM polisterex and smoked some weed at a friends house. I completely blasted off into another timeline. Everything felt really glitched out, almost like a VHS movie & colors became really saturated. I couldn't feel my body anymore at all either. I just felt like a floating pair of eyes. My friend had to rush me home so I could be somewhere familiar & I laid on the couch next to my mom & kept saying "I'm gonna die, I think I'm dying"(I was 27-28yrs old at the time lol). My mom didn't seem concerned for some reason & just kept telling me I wasn't gonna die. I laid there feeling like I was watching a movie come to an end & that movie was my life & I was about to pass away on that couch. All I could feel was this vague ache in the very bottom of my stomach, which I interpreted at the time as one of my organs shutting down. I eventually took a clonazepam and went to my room where eventually I started to come down & then slept. I had never experienced a DXM trip like that up until that day. When I woke up the next day, I was SO refreshed and SO thankful to have survived that with no seeming ill effects. I'll never forget the terror I felt on that trip. I had it happen maybe 2-3 more times after that & it always seemed to be when I would smoke cannabis on the come up or during the trip. I imagine this is probably what a "K-hole" would feel like on ketamine or something. Although it was terrifying at the time, it was a very powerful experience and the days after, I felt so tranquil & calm. I'll never forget those experiences & I'm surprised how something so terrifying made me feel so much better.

It's interesting reading other people's DXM experiences. Thanks for sharing OP!.

Last edited:
While we are at personality disorders, have you yambabomba heard about OCPD?
it is obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.
I have this.One reason I like dissociatives. They help to not give a fffffuck.

I want to add that I also became pretty manic & delusional during those two years.
I believed I was willing great things into my life with rituals & law of attraction. I gained a shit ton of friends. I ended up finding a heroin dealer. People were always telling me how I was very "charismatic" and "charming" & would literally give me free drugs just to hang out with me or be a part of my life. I had a lot of good times. I also used it to try & get my "ex" back. The one from the messy break up.

Ironically after I quit & got on subs, eventually I lost ALL of those things. My mom got sick & passed away, so I had to move & leave all my friends behind. My heroin dealer went to prison for murder, so I lost that connect.
And I did end up back with my ex., except it hasn't been the wonderful loving time I had imagined it would be. In fact it's sucked. lol

Did DXM influence my fate or was it all just delusion? I dunno.
I also had shared hallucinations (with sober people) while on it & paranormal experiences (with witnesses) on it.

So I'm very intrigued with DXM & think there's more to it that maybe science or we humans can't fully comprehend or understand yet. Something almost "supernatural".
Even if it was all coincidence and delusion (DXM affects the temporal lobe, which can induce mystical and religious feelings), it still impacted my life, my beliefs & everything in both positive & negative ways.

Last edited:
While we are at personality disorders, have you yambabomba heard about OCPD?
it is obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.
I have this.One reason I like dissociatives. They help to not give a fffffuck.
Actually have not heard OCPD but OCD but now when you say it my OCD diagnose could be definitely more towards OCPD also as it seems to be personality trait in me too more than some disease that has come at some point in time. I've allways been obsessed about my interests and focused only about one thing at the time. I like buprenorphine too and used to like DXM so there seems to be similarities :)

yea it is super fucking common OCPD is diagnosed as OCD. It is generally suspected that our performance-focused society doesn't just want to perceive virtually workaholism as disorder.
OCPD is very easily dysfunctional and harmful to everyone although potential lies in it.
Commonly individual greatly benefits of treating it. But first it hurts. like. motherfucker.
When I figured out I had it and what it meant, I had most insane 3 weeks of insight and flashbacks I had ever experienced (nowadays I don't even know what has been THE sickest shit I have been through). I was all the time afraid of the next day because I didn't know what it would show me. Turned out, I can love myself and others but it is just extremely difficult at times.

I want to add that I also became pretty manic & delusional during those two years.
I believed I was willing great things into my life with rituals & law of attraction. I gained a shit ton of friends. I ended up finding a heroin dealer. People were always telling me how I was very "charismatic" and "charming" & would literally give me free drugs just to hang out with me or be a part of my life.
Actually, now when I read your story again I was awe struck with similarities of your experiences with mine. I too over the years of DXM use went on to egomanic state where I ex. put my house wall full of stickers where I had written what I wanted to manifest in my life. So I was also spiritually very inclined concomitantly with DXM use and had this feeling of high consciousness which I mean to imply high spiritual awareness.
Ironically after I quit & got on subs, eventually I lost ALL of those things. My mom got sick & passed away, so I had to move & leave all my friends behind. My heroin dealer went to prison for murder, so I lost that connect.
And I did end up back with my ex., except it hasn't been the wonderful loving time I had imagined it would be. In fact it's sucked. lol
Sad to hear that bro. I am sorry. But I can relate to that too as I did also kind of lost my life after I got that messianic syndrome where I thought for a short time that ego was God. Partly it was because of this years of self psyching to that direction with DXM - direction to find God whether it is fake or real didn't matter on some unconscious level to manic ego but main thing to it was that something is found and the ego's narsissistic core is satisfied by being labeling himself as "prophet" or "God" as there is actually in the core of the ego structure this universal belief that it believes to be God and the source of life or at least a self appointed saviour of the world 😇😅 That same illusion came on to me with LSD.
Did DXM influence my fate or was it all just delusion? I dunno.
I also had shared hallucinations (with sober people) while on it & paranormal experiences (with witnesses) on it.

So I'm very intrigued with DXM & think there's more to it that maybe science or we humans can't fully comprehend or understand yet. Something almost "supernatural".
Even if it was all coincidence and delusion (DXM affects the temporal lobe, which can induce mystical and religious feelings), it still impacted my life, my beliefs & everything in both positive & negative ways.
There is more, yes. I also used to think previously mostly drugs, experiences and consciousness from neurochemical perspective and thought human to be only as biological robot (which I still think it is also but not only that) when I was agnostic still at year 2012.

But I gradually developed this more spiritual view of world and one thing I've learnt through this years is what Budha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Jesus christ and all enlightened beings taught through the centuries about consciousness is true. Consciousness is not the product of brain activity but brains/ego works like electric induction system where consciousness (or soul) is the same as quantum field of potentiality or what quantum physicist David Bohm called 'implicit order' which precedes 'explicit order' which is atomic level.

Dr. David Hawkins has wrote over 10 books regarding consciousness research and he studied it about 30 years after his enlightenement. He was also psychiatrist. He was before his enlightenment also barbiturate and alcohol addict back in the 60's.

Basically if I summarize his findings they are same truths that those mystics spoke about but translated to left brain linear format. Also modern day scientist like Carl Jung and physicist (like David Bohm) or other geniuses like Chris Langan - who supposedly is the smartest man in America with IQ over 200 - have theorized basically about these same things.

So quantum level of potentiality is the 'whole' where everything is connected and is like voltage source and atomic level is level of actualization like amperages in electric circuit. So potentiality creates current within circuit and intention is what collapses this wave function at quantum level and creates particles and atomic level (Slowed or stopped wave). So you could say quantum level of potentiality is the "Father", atomic level or ego is "Son" and the mediator (intention) between those levels is "Holy spirit". So there we have trinity of God explained scientifically for the left brainers. Right brainers understand this without logic just by intuition with faith because right brain is connection to soul/God and truth but left brain is ego dominance with focus on linear world and logic (I've noticed this experientially to be true and also Dr. Hawkins noted that in his studies and own experiences).

Now why is this important? Because it means that ultimately it is not the drug which causes any of these high states because they do not have the necessary power as it is allways power (voltage - quantum level - love) which can only cause high state as it is allways energy which causes high state. Only life can feel good. Like when benzos relax muscles, it feels good because the muscles get then energy as they relax. When ego relaxes or even goes off, the same thing. So instead, drugs block something off (ego's resisting energies) or strenghten certain positive circuits which ex. doesn't resist potentiality but enforce it. So then the love at quantum level has less resistance on physical level and thus higher energy permeates physical domain and that energy - love - is what causes the subjective "high" as higher current is inducted and thus higher power or "high" is experienced because of the drug's net lowering effect on ego's/mind's resistance circuits.

This same love is only thing which opposes physical law of entropia and causes anabolic growth and order instead of catabolia, madness and death. Only love - or quantum field of potentiality/implicit order/spirit - can undo entropia. Like Jesus said: "I’m telling you the truth,’ he said. ‘Unless you turn inside out and become like children, you will never, ever, get into the kingdom of heaven."

Child's brain/ego has not yet evolved so there are no much resistances towards energy field of love and children are easily "high" without need to modify ego's settings. Children allso easily overcome entropia and instead of increased chaos and dysharmony they go to opposite direction of growth, beauty and order...as long as ego doesn't create too much resistance. It has even been noted that recreational drugs do not in most cases cause high to prebupertal children but they start to work only after sex steroids have strenghtened the ego/mind strong enough to resist love. And stronger the ego, the bigger the lies or illusions and thus resistances and stronger the agony. It is eventually those ego's resistances towards love which creates all the hells.

That is also the reason why drug addiction cannot be cured by physical means, ever. They just don't offer the necessary power as the energy of the solution has to be at least as high as the energy of the addiction. And i ex. In alcohol addiction you take few tequilas and suddenly you can love again everybody and hug your friends. So it is this love/energy one gets addicted (ultimately addiction is to God) so that is why only unconditional love (surrendering to "higher power", Jesus, Budha or finding a woman) is the only thing that can truly cure addiction at its roots as addiction is actually to energy and God not to the substance. Substances just block different mechanisms from ego temporarily or srengthen those circuits that enable more actualization of potentiality, so net total is lesser resistance so more efficient induction of energy from level of potentiality to crucial parts of brains etc. so more energy is allowed to be experienced where it was previously lacking and that creates the "high" not the substance per se.

One thing also which makes ex. DMT interesting molecul is its supposed ability to block ego off completely (I am referring to study where it was said brain waves were more towards delta/theta than alpha like with LSD). So if we see ego/mind as like a video editor of reality, which it actually is; records reality, then plays that edited version of reality with at aprox. 1/10 000 sec delay to consciousness/soul. So no one in the planet sees actual reality but their mind's edited version of it with 1/ 10 000sec delay and unique settings, according to Dr. Hawkins studies. Usually when we use drugs we change only the settings of our video editor for better but some drugs actually might block ego/mind totally off so that reality is actually revealed without any editing and delay. That is also called enlightenment and it said to be pure exctacy and bliss which there is nothing you can compare. I think MDMA, DMT might reveal highest consciousness possible for drugs to reveal. And yes, reveal, not cause. Gabaergics for me they seemed to make my prefrontal cortex working better and my memory was actually enchanced with baclofen/phenibut but not really high states like MDMA or some of those but I liked that maximal use of frontal lobes state very much. I mean super focus, concentration, ability to read on and and on..and so on.

Why I took DMT as ex. Of drug which might just do that total blocking of the whole editing system is because many have told they have seen reality or God with DMT and also the fact that if it causes delta/theta brain state then that is same as in deep sleep - but - also the same state enlightened beings or gurus has been noted to have. Their mind is off or in the same state as it is in deep sleep but the difference is consciousness/soul of etheric body of quantum level and the third eye has woke up and they see the reality without editing. They are connected to love and live in a state of constant exstacy/bliss.. that which we are trying to achieve with drugs. Well, drugs are easy and cheap way to get to God. Also Rene Descartes wondered too if the connection between spirit and mind is done truough pineal gland which secretes DMT. So that is also quite interesting to think he thought it hundreds of years of go allready. I would say though, not connection but revealing of soul. They are inseparable except when you die.

Last edited: