• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Interactions of depakote, buspar, and lexapro with LSD?

austin0112

Greenlighter
So I've taken acid a total of four times, and my first two trips went fine, but the last two tries, I've gotten nothing out of it. I'm wondering if it could possibly be interactions with my meds that's causing this, or if im just getting bunk stuff. I take 750mg of depakote, 20mg of lexapro, and 10mg of buspar, all nightly. On my last two drops, I skipped my meds the night of taking the LSD but it still has no effects. I can't recall I was on these medications during my first two trips, so I'm not sure if it could be the problem. I've seen where these medications' interactions with acid have been questioned, but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

You're correct. SSRI medications block the reuptake of serotonin, and LSD binds to the same receptors, therefore LSD is also blocked from being absorbed by those receptors. Also, SSRI's build up in your system, so you'd have to actually get off of them in order to trip. Buspar isn't an SSRI but I've had serotonin-related issues from it, such as brain zaps, so I'm sure it could contribute.

You're correct. SSRI medications block the reuptake of serotonin, and LSD binds to the same receptors, therefore LSD is also blocked from being absorbed by those receptors. Also, SSRI's build up in your system, so you'd have to actually get off of them in order to trip. Buspar isn't an SSRI but I've had serotonin-related issues from it, such as brain zaps, so I'm sure it could contribute.
Damn that sucks. How long do you think I'd have to stay off them to be able to trip? I know it can be risky, but none of them really do much for me in the first place, which I'm speaking to my doctor about soon. The depakote is for chronic migraine prevention, the buspar is for anxiety, and the lexapro is for depression, just fyi.

Damn that sucks. How long do you think I'd have to stay off them to be able to trip? I know it can be risky, but none of them really do much for me in the first place, which I'm speaking to my doctor about soon. The depakote is for chronic migraine prevention, the buspar is for anxiety, and the lexapro is for depression, just fyi.

Hey man, funny that I saw this today. Believe it for fucking not, I'm literally on the same meds AND dosage as you! I do not take buspar as of right now, but I did in the past and have never taken LSD while being prescribed. I now have substitued with Welbutrin but that's not the point. I have taken LSD about 4 times and every time I have tripped, each time being different though. When you took the LSD the last two times and noticed the different effects, did you raise your dosage at all? What you explaned orginally happened to me. First 2 times very strong, but the last 2 times, not as much. I thought maybe it had to do with the meds. But before you even think about the meds, I would consider the dose of the LSD in general. I called my friend up and asked if the last stuff I had was from the batch I had before and he said no and then confided in me that some people and complained of it being weaker. That's what I would consider before the meds.

As for stop taking them to try and trip, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is. Buspar would be fine in my guess. I have stopped taking it on and off for years with no effects. The lexapro is more tricky. I find if I personally skip a few days, it can get hairy. And for the depakote, I use it for Bipolar Disorder, so in my case if I skip it for a while THERE IS HELL TO PAY. As for headahce, Im just not sure. I'm planning on having a little trip tomorrow. I will write back and see if anything happened with the same dosage I am taking! Have a good day

Ehh this does not make sense..

"LSD binds to those same receptors?" Receptors don't have anything to do with reuptake of serotonin, the serotonin transporter SERT does. And LSD does not act on SERT. "LSD blocked from being absorbed by receptors?" Nonsense.. LSD binds to various receptors and is not absorbed by anything. It acts on receptors in the synapse, on the outer perimeter of the neuron where receptors are embedded in the cell membrane.. it does not need to be taken up into the neuron to release monoamines from vesicles for example. Again, no interaction with SERT.

Interaction between LSD and SSRI's is a bit more complicated than that I think, SSRI's are unusually complicated to begin with... In any case the effect of the combinations is not that reliable and seems to depend on exactly what SSRI, how much you take, and the individual and his/her receptorome or state of their brain.
But yeah it seems a lot of people get diminished effect from LSD if they are on SSRI's, while some people still get effect but changed effect (may be more confused or less pleasant or in some other way different), and even still... some other people may get considerable effect or perhaps even stronger.

Buspar is a 5-HT1A agonist. It also has affinity for 5-HT2A as an agonist but considerably lower. LSD is also a partial agonist for 5-HT2A by which its psychedelic effects are primarily mediated. So they kinda compete for 5-HT2A a little, but either Buspar does not have the same downstream effects on IP or PLC (which would be why its not psychedelic), or more likely: it just has too low affinity for the dose you take to be relevant. If anything I would expect diminished effect or no interaction at all.

One user says this:
The result is extreme vertigo, nausea, headache, and a hangover.. like when you drink too much, except you don't black out. It diminished the 'psychedelic' portion of the trips, and increased body load. Not fun.

read for yourself here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/554171-Buspar-and-psychedelics

I cannot account for the mentioned symptoms other than that apparently the sensory effects of LSD are thus influenced and confused that you might essentially virtualize motion sickness from conflicting perception?

Last edited:
So Solipsis, would you say it's my Lexapro that's preventing me from tripping? I can handle coming off it as long as I have some bud.

Hey man, funny that I saw this today. Believe it for fucking not, I'm literally on the same meds AND dosage as you! I do not take buspar as of right now, but I did in the past and have never taken LSD while being prescribed. I now have substitued with Welbutrin but that's not the point. I have taken LSD about 4 times and every time I have tripped, each time being different though. When you took the LSD the last two times and noticed the different effects, did you raise your dosage at all? What you explaned orginally happened to me. First 2 times very strong, but the last 2 times, not as much. I thought maybe it had to do with the meds. But before you even think about the meds, I would consider the dose of the LSD in general. I called my friend up and asked if the last stuff I had was from the batch I had before and he said no and then confided in me that some people and complained of it being weaker. That's what I would consider before the meds.

As for stop taking them to try and trip, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is. Buspar would be fine in my guess. I have stopped taking it on and off for years with no effects. The lexapro is more tricky. I find if I personally skip a few days, it can get hairy. And for the depakote, I use it for Bipolar Disorder, so in my case if I skip it for a while THERE IS HELL TO PAY. As for headahce, Im just not sure. I'm planning on having a little trip tomorrow. I will write back and see if anything happened with the same dosage I am taking! Have a good day
I can handle coming off Lexapro (which I'm thinking could be the issue) as long as I have weed; the Buspar and Depakote don't help with anything, so I'm considering trying to come off them. But please do let me know how your trip goes, if you even have one.

It is really recommended that you don't come off your AD meds just to trip. Assuming here that you are not prescribed 3 psychiatric medications as a joke, you really ought to take that seriously. It is one thing to trip when your mental stability is more or less in question, fair enough there are quite a number of people who combine psychedelics with their meds and often there doesn't have to be an interaction if it is properly studied and approached with care. And they may trust their own mental stability as well as others who are not on any kind of medication... but discontinuation is nothing to be done casually.

There can be considerable changes in serotonin household (which is why some get the brain zaps) and during this period of getting on them or coming off them, it is quite normal to suffer from additional issues and side effects. Pretty bad set & setting material right there...

If you are combining several psych meds let alone discontinue multiple ones or having those you continue interact with LSD... argh then it is just exceedingly unwise.

Nobody here is in a position to tell you what accounts for what particular interaction / that the lexapro is sure to be held responsible. Only perhaps that it is plausible, in the realm of possibilities but that again you mustnt be foolish.