• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Insufflation Technique

bialymurzyn

Greenlighter
I have always wondered if there is an insufflation technique that is better than the other. For instance, if a substance is vigorously insufflated does the substance just go to the back of the throat or does it get deeper into the nasal passages resulting in increased absorption? Conversely, if a substance is softly insufflated does more of the substance stay in the nasal passages and come into contact with the nasal membrane?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

I think snorting a little drop of water and tilting your head back is the best advice to give. It cleans your nose out and you wont have to worry about a snot drip or a throat drip.
To answer your question, I would think they both have disadvantages. I've snorted real hard before and it practically flew right down my throat. If you dont snort it well enough though, some of it can drip out with the snot. So with all that being said, I think there needs to be a happy medium. A firm, yet easy sniff.

I like to go for a short but sharp sniff then just tilt my head back for a few secs with oxy but never actually thought about it with the Cain

I have always wondered if there is an insufflation technique that is better than the other. For instance, if a substance is vigorously insufflated does the substance just go to the back of the throat or does it get deeper into the nasal passages resulting in increased absorption? Conversely, if a substance is softly insufflated does more of the substance stay in the nasal passages and come into contact with the nasal membrane?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

If you vigorously insufflate something, the valve (epiglottis) is allowing passage into the larynx and trachea, which leads to your lungs. This is not good, as you don’t want solids (even small particles) to be able to reach the lungs and is considered pulmonary aspiration. Usually if you insufflate a large amount of powder hard and fast, you will actually see a mist upon your next exhale, and that’s literally just exhaling out a portion of the powder you wanted to go the complete opposite direction.

The absolute best way to use intranasal route of administration is to get a nasal spray bottle so the mist can easily pass through nasal mucosa.

If you’re going to insufflate a powder, you want it to be readily water-soluble and as fine of a powder as possible, and you want to avoid any drip if possible. There is a gigantic surface area of nasal mucosa for the molecules to pass through, it lines the entire nasal cavity. There would also be some oral mucosa that molecules could pass through as it reaches the pharnyx (back of throat), but anything that is unable to pass through mucous membranes will then pass down through the esophagus (assuming you didn’t try to vigorously inhale, please, don’t do that, for your own sake) into the stomach and be absorbed into the bloodstream through stomach and intestinal walls and thus be subject to first pass metabolism (oral bioavailability.)

With that said, when you insufflate you want to angle it slightly away from the septum and at only a slight angle (maybe 35 degrees or so) up from horizontal, if you’re aiming all the way toward the top front of your head, then you’re aiming way too high.

This thread reminded me of a related question i had about possible scarring of the nasal mucosa from long term use and its effects on overall absorption. I seem to be able to get a noticable boost in effects just by switching ROAs. Side effect of tolerance or an absorption issue?
How otherwise would this be possible? Synaptic degredation?

Anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
It's possible it could cause temporary damage that results in inflammation, but to be chronic enough to cause permanent scarring would be unlikely (and more than likely very painful for a very long period of time)

It's possible it could cause temporary damage that results in inflammation, but to be chronic enough to cause permanent scarring would be unlikely (and more than likely very painful for a very long period of time)
So how does, for example, smoking meth instead of snorting it "fool" the brain into reacting to the drug it had just previously rejected?

Last edited:
I'm not sure it would fool it. The surface area for nasal and oral mucosa is incredibly large.

SS2770226.jpg

2303_Anatomy_of_Nose-Pharynx-Mouth-Larynx.jpg

From start of the nasal cavity all the way to the pharynx there would be mucous membranes for the molecules to pass through.

I would imagine if something like that happened, it wouldn't be the first time insufflating after a long period of abstinence?

Let's just say, 100% hypothetically, there were no mucous membranes to pass through, it would drip down the esophagus and be no different than if you took it orally, so one way or another, it's going to make it to arterial blood.

Could the perception of faster onset and peak be a factor here with inhalation versus intranasal?

Nose gets stuffed eventually; mine feels extra useless but it still seems to go straight to the brain.

Snoz gets clogged methinks full of excess bs and fucky sinuses; And I dont wanna graduate to more direct ROA as my poor arms need a break and i smoke too much. What is a dopefiend to do but humbly hoover a bump if he can. Oral dose hits later; putem together good enough for my broken brain.

Lil bumps, not big lines.

Short soft inhalation, don't snort it all rough and forcefully, you're trying NOT to have a big drip, if any drip! That means you're just swallowing it.

Sniffing powders is supposed to be about coating the inside of your nose with a thin layer of the compound so it can absorb, so small amounts repeatedly is ideal, since too much just gets wasted and swallowed.

Just enough to coat yer nose. You can always go back for more.

(And its never bad idea to moisten your nose with some clean water afterward, a nettie pot is the best but like you gotta invest in one lol)

Lil bumps, not big lines.

Short soft inhalation, don't snort it all rough and forcefully, you're trying NOT to have a big drip, if any drip! That means you're just swallowing it.

Sniffing powders is supposed to be about coating the inside of your nose with a thin layer of the compound so it can absorb, so small amounts repeatedly is ideal, since too much just gets wasted and swallowed.

Just enough to coat yer nose. You can always go back for more.

I think a combo of big lines and lil bumps are in order; it depends on the substance... I'm teeny bumping 3hopcp and it just wears you down slowly; stack a fat rail of coke or comparable substance; leaves you feeling happy but sinking into the void.; happily floating; blissfully chill

Yeah, good quality cocaine seems to so easily pass through mucous membranes that larger lines are possible.

When I started converting crack to cocaine citrate and using the nasal spray bottle, I swear I could feel it hit within 20 - 30 seconds.

Yeah, good quality cocaine seems to so easily pass through mucous membranes that larger lines are possible.

When I started converting crack to cocaine citrate and using the nasal spray bottle, I swear I could feel it hit within 20 - 30 seconds.

I never got that scientific w/ my coke. It either went right up my nose; or filtered into a reddening rig..... pokes infinite; becomes hateful. Or it was rock and I smoked it.
Wish I had figured some kind of spray solution like that... guess I still can. Sounds like it makes it the right type of numbing pleasant.

Just take crack cocaine and use citric acid to break it down, put it in nasal spray bottle instead of syringe, use spray bottle :) I got two refillable nasal spray bottles off Amazon for $5. I honestly wish I had found that little treasure years ago, I probably would never have sniffed powder again. I just made sure to keep the bottle clean and use distilled or boiled water everytime, and I even filtered it just to be extra cautious.

Just take crack cocaine and use citric acid to break it down, put it in nasal spray bottle instead of syringe, use spray bottle :) I got two refillable nasal spray bottles off Amazon for $5. I honestly wish I had found that little treasure years ago, I probably would never have sniffed powder again. I just made sure to keep the bottle clean and use distilled or boiled water everytime, and I even filtered it just to be extra cautious.
You're the future dude ✌

For real, I mean look at how far cannabis consumption has come.