• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Insufflation of Heroin & swelling of the legs

Rabidrabbit

Bluelighter
Hi guys. I have a question about my heroin use and nasty side effect I seem to get each time.

Basically, if I insufflate heroin (East Coast Powder, #4, etc, etc) for more than about 5 days in a row, my legs begin to swell. Does anyone have any idea what this is from?

When I binge on heroin that extensively, I tend to sleep sitting up in my computer chair in a terrible position, usually with most of my body weight resting on one leg. I don't know if that's a contributing factor. I drink a lot of seltzer water to keep myself hydrated. Granted, my diet isn't the best but I suppose that's what happens when all of your money is spent on heroin.

So, ladies and gents, has anyone else ever experienced this and what do you think it could be from? I am really scared of developing a Deep Vein Thrombosis or something of that nature and I am not sure what to do other than elevate my legs and make sure I sleep in my bed rather than sitting up in a chair, but sometimes you can't help nodding out for the night. :|

Thank you for your time!

I don't think its thrombosis but rather varicose veins. I developed the same issue as you but usually you get itchiness in addition to the swelling.

It could perhaps be peripheral edema, the swelling of tissues, usually in the lower legs, due to the accumulation of fluids. I know it can happen with intrathecal or epidural opioids, but I'm not sure whether or not it can happen from intranasal opioid use. Maybe someone will come along who knows. My guess would be yes, I know it can happen from other drugs such as alcohol or pregabalin.

I'm sure sleeping in a chair is a contributing factor. I have had very swollen ankles/feet after a long flight before. I never noticed having swollen legs from heroin though, but I'm sure different sensitivities and circumstances are factors.

I don't think its thrombosis but rather varicose veins. I developed the same issue as you but usually you get itchiness in addition to the swelling.

I thought they meant they were worried about getting a venous thrombosis due to the swelling? And generalized leg swelling doesn't sound like varicose veins to me. Perhaps we need more details.

Symptoms of varicose veins:
In addition to the cosmetic considerations associated with varicose veins, there can be very significant leg symptoms associated with varicose veins. These symptoms include:

Aching of legs
Itching of legs and feet
Heaviness of legs
Tiredness of legs
Cramping of legs at night
Swelling of legs
Restlessness of legs at night
Stasis Pigmentation and Stasis Ulceration:
Over the course of years, varicose veins can lead to leg swelling ("edema"), brown discoloration of the skin of the leg around the ankles (called "stasis pigmentation"), or actual breakdown of the skin (called "stasis ulceration").

The swelling of the lower legs or “edema” is caused by leakage of fluid (essentially water) out of the varicose veins because these bulging veins are under high pressure.

Risk factors associated with varicose veins:
Positive family history of varicose veins
Prolonged standing or sitting
Leg injury
Obesity
Increasing age

This is actually one of the most common conditions of sitting, laying down, etc in one position for long periods of time. Much more likely than having or developing a blood clot.

ugh, yeah, my mom had terrible varicose veins... but what happens if it goes away when i stop using heroin?? basically I end up peeing out all of the excess fluid and my legs go back to normal without any of those visible varicose vein things... plus when i work, i stand on my feet all day then mostly sleep in my chair at night, or sit on the subway... I can never get exercise in my legs because of my lifestyle... so... or is the heroin the main factor? because they do not swell when i am not using. :?

EDIT: also, i am worried about the DVT because that can kill -- the varicose veins are just ugly and uncomfortable, right?

I can never get exercise in my legs because of my lifestyle... so... or is the heroin the main factor? because they do not swell when i am not using. :?

I think it's fairly safe to say that it's a combination of both. Leading a less sedentary lifestyle would help with your issue to some extent. However from what you are describing it sounds like nodding off while sitting might be the main culprit.

Consider even if you are standing all day for example, your legs are still experiencing some degree of activity. When nodded out in a chair, this isn't the case, they're just kinda there like dead weight, and become prone to swelling for however long you sleep.

The two best things you could do IMO would be to dose lower so you have control of where you sleep, and try to be a bit more active in your free time.

my legs go back to normal without any of those visible varicose vein things...

I'm confused, are you saying you do have visible varicose veins when this happens and they just aren't visible when you stop using dope?

Chromophobia - I just meant that generalized swelling of the legs in and of itself was not confirmation of varicose veins, and that we needed more details from the OP before saying that's what it is. Also no one has answered my question yet about whether opiates can cause/contribute to edema?

OP - Stop sleeping in a chair if you're concerned about developing a blood clot. Sitting motionless for long periods is not good for you. Try doing less so you don't nod off in your chair or lay down when you're that high or something :)

Well, sounds like you have acute edema. Since you mentioned diet... I'm assuming everything you eat is cheap, therefore processed and probably full of salt/sodium. Add a night sitting in a chair with all fluids running down to your legs and that's likely the cause, because a poor diet high in sodium mixed with a generally inactive lifestyle will set the stage pretty well for swelling.

ugh, yeah, my mom had terrible varicose veins... but what happens if it goes away when i stop using heroin?? basically I end up peeing out all of the excess fluid and my legs go back to normal without any of those visible varicose vein things... plus when i work, i stand on my feet all day then mostly sleep in my chair at night, or sit on the subway... I can never get exercise in my legs because of my lifestyle... so... or is the heroin the main factor? because they do not swell when i am not using. :?

EDIT: also, i am worried about the DVT because that can kill -- the varicose veins are just ugly and uncomfortable, right?

Opioids themselves don't cause edema, whatever is causing your problem is certainly tied to you sitting in an awkward position for long periods of time.

Varicose veins (if that is what you have) in the their benign stages don't manifest visibly, the tangled up veins in their early stages are still tucked underneath the skin. Sometimes they don't manifest visibly at all. It's a very common complaint of people with 12 hour desk jobs, this is why people in corporate environments are encouraged get some sort of physical activity after every moderate period of being immobile.

In either case, swimmingdancer is right, it's difficult to give you an accurate answer when we don't know all your symptoms, get some exercise, don't sleep sitting down, and do some stretching.

If the situation doesn't resolve then see a doctor, but I'm certain a 10 minute walk daily will completely reverse it.

I'm confused, are you saying you do have visible varicose veins when this happens and they just aren't visible when you stop using dope?

Chromophobia - I just meant that generalized swelling of the legs in and of itself was not confirmation of varicose veins, and that we needed more details from the OP before saying that's what it is. Also no one has answered my question yet about whether opiates can cause/contribute to edema?

OP - Stop sleeping in a chair if you're concerned about developing a blood clot. Sitting motionless for long periods is not good for you. Try doing less so you don't nod off in your chair or lay down when you're that high or something :)

No, no visible varicose veins either when using or not using dope. My legs/feet go back to completely normal. It's mostly my calves, down to my feet. It's super disgusting. I was thinking a diuretic might help if I am retaining so much water as well as consuming less sodium. I've never eaten so much fucking McDonalds in my life until I started using dope. Ugh...

Everyone -- thanks for the insight. I assumed it was a combination of all the unhealthy crap I do... I was just really worried about DVTs and whatnot. I know you cannot diagnose me over the internet. I've been sleeping in my bed, consuming more water and less salt and my legs/feet have returned to normal. I would be more worried if my legs *didn't* return to normal when I started sleeping in a bed and being more active and eating less crap. It's difficult to maintain a heroin habit along with a good diet... especially in NYC and having to feed 3 people... sigh.

That's neither here nor there.

Thanks for the insight though.

No one else has experienced this though?? That worries me quite a bit actually. :\

Opioids themselves don't cause edema, whatever is causing your problem is certainly tied to you sitting in an awkward position for long periods of time.

Varicose veins (if that is what you have) in the their benign stages don't manifest visibly, the tangled up veins in their early stages are still tucked underneath the skin. Sometimes they don't manifest visibly at all. It's a very common complaint of people with 12 hour desk jobs, this is why people in corporate environments are encouraged get some sort of physical activity after every moderate period of being immobile.

In either case, swimmingdancer is right, it's difficult to give you an accurate answer when we don't know all your symptoms, get some exercise, don't sleep sitting down, and do some stretching.

If the situation doesn't resolve then see a doctor, but I'm certain a 10 minute walk daily will completely reverse it.

That's sort of what I figured. I'm definitely going to spend less fucking time in this goddamn chair and reduce my dose so I don't nod off in these horrible positions. Ugh. I've nodded off with cigarettes in my mouth and ended up with blisters in my mouth, burns all over everything, hitting my head on my desk...

Essentially, for anyone reading this who uses heroin on a regular basis, DON'T DO WHAT I DO, PLEASE! It's ugly, it's painful and it's scary to see your legs swell up and not know exactly why. I will see a doctor if this happens again, I think. At least to get a diuretic or something, maybe...

I think this definitely has everything to do with being seated too long, and probably nothing to do with the heroin. You know how they always tell you you need to get up and walk around regularly on long flights? There's a legit reason for that, as studies have shown that people who fly very often and stay seated for hours and hours at a time are much more likely to develop health problems such as blood clots. Definitely try and force yourself to lie down when you're going to be nodding rather than staying seated, and I think you'll stop seeing that problem.

Edit: whoops, just saw your reply...well anyway, my advice still stands, glad you're following what others have said.

I think this definitely has everything to do with being seated too long, and probably nothing to do with the heroin. You know how they always tell you you need to get up and walk around regularly on long flights? There's a legit reason for that, as studies have shown that people who fly very often and stay seated for hours and hours at a time are much more likely to develop health problems such as blood clots. Definitely try and force yourself to lie down when you're going to be nodding rather than staying seated, and I think you'll stop seeing that problem.

Edit: whoops, just saw your reply...well anyway, my advice still stands, glad you're following what others have said.

You're quite right, thank you for your reply!

you really should get outta that chair when you do your H, if you even want to continue after this. i strongly advise that you don't continue with it as it really could lead to much more complicated issues - as this is may be sign that you have a compromised circulatory system, and when you add heroin ontop of that... well, it can lead to death very easily, or you could end up with an amputated leg/arm.

i know that i have fallen asleep many times in my chair/sofa when oxied the hell out, for a good 16-17 hours, or when i fall asleep i'll put one leg on top of the other and it will cut the blood off to my other leg. granted i'll wake up with a dead leg or it will be sore for a bit (i normally wake up, try to get out of bed and literally collapse into a ball on the floor lol) but i don't experience this.

seriously. this is not a good sign. please consider stopping or cutting back your use - or at least pass out in a position where blood can freely circulate, and get some proper nutrition down you. even seeing a doctor would be a good idea to be honest.

you really should get outta that chair when you do your H, if you even want to continue after this. i strongly advise that you don't continue with it as it really could lead to much more complicated issues - as this is may be sign that you have a compromised circulatory system, and when you add heroin ontop of that... well, it can lead to death very easily, or you could end up with an amputated leg/arm.

i know that i have fallen asleep many times in my chair/sofa when oxied the hell out, for a good 16-17 hours, or when i fall asleep i'll put one leg on top of the other and it will cut the blood off to my other leg. granted i'll wake up with a dead leg or it will be sore for a bit (i normally wake up, try to get out of bed and literally collapse into a ball on the floor lol) but i don't experience this.

seriously. this is not a good sign. please consider stopping or cutting back your use - or at least pass out in a position where blood can freely circulate, and get some proper nutrition down you. even seeing a doctor would be a good idea to be honest.

You're quite right. Unfortunately I am not ready to quit but it's definitely a nudge in the direction of slowing the fuck down. I've waken up with a dead left side from like pretzeling out in this fucking chair. (It's just a regular spinning computer chair, but it's the most feasible place for me to do my H, without my dogs getting ahold of it or having people who I'd rather not see me use, see me...) I guess it'll be like, line, get the fuck up for a while, walk around, line, etc...

Bah, I guess I'll just make a doctor's appointment because now I'm worried. :\

Bah, I guess I'll just make a doctor's appointment because now I'm worried. :\

I commend you for making what is both a tough, but wise decision. :) Better to know for yourself that everything is okay, and then start implementing some of the safer practices mentioned.

Very bold, courageous and noble choice to visit a doctor. You possibly don't have to mention your heroin use and just get a full check up of your circulatory system to make sure you've not damaged anything - or anything is already damaged. To be honest, the best thing to do would be to say you're using heroin however that is a difficult choice as it will go down on record.

Let us know how you're doing. I hope everything is okay.

Did you ever see a doctor about your issue? About a week ago my calves about half way up down to my feet are swollen terribly! They have been swollen so long that my skin is starting to bruise! I have never had this happen before, i have been considering the doctor, however i just moved from one side of the u.s. back to the other so i have not had a chance, also i find myself sleeping upright in a chair all the time, and then the greyhound for 3 1/2 days also was sitting up then. Anyway i was just curious if you ever got a direct answer or if this has happened to you since!