• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Instability of meth cathinone

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
I'm not sure whether I have asked this question before, if so I apologise.
On Wikipedia I have read that methcathinone in its freebase form is unstable and rapidly converts back to ephedrine from which it was synthesised.
A similar process occurs with cathinone in the leaves of the khat plant, but in that case it is the action of plants enzymes reducing the Keytone group on cathinone into an alcohol group. However I am puzzled as to how this happens with methcathinone. Where would the extra 2 hydrogen atoms hydrogen atoms come from?
At first I thought this could be a mistake on the part of Wikipedia editors, but since a similar process occurs with cathinone and has been mentioned in several sources I think it may be true.
Thanks

I'm not sure why there are no replies to this thread. I think it is a fascinating topic , however it may be that I have posted in the wrong place and if so please could a moderator me it to a better place.
If anyone has seen this thread please could they reply just so I know it has been seen. You do not need to have an answer to my questions although if you do that would be great.

I am seeing your thread. I know nothing about the topic but I wish you well.

It would have to be in solution. I'm rusty with my synthetic O Chem though

I'm not sure whether I have asked this question before, if so I apologise.
On Wikipedia I have read that methcathinone in its freebase form is unstable and rapidly converts back to ephedrine from which it was synthesised.
A similar process occurs with cathinone in the leaves of the khat plant, but in that case it is the action of plants enzymes reducing the Keytone group on cathinone into an alcohol group. However I am puzzled as to how this happens with methcathinone. Where would the extra 2 hydrogen atoms hydrogen atoms come from?
At first I thought this could be a mistake on the part of Wikipedia editors, but since a similar process occurs with cathinone and has been mentioned in several sources I think it may be true.
Thanks

You and Wikipedia are wrong. Cathinones cannot revert back into their prior molecular structure, the just become unstable in light and humid places. Also the beta-kitone ring that makes up the Cathinones' structure won't fit into ephedrine/pseudoephedrine, you will magically need to attach 2 more hydrogen and 3 nitrogen arms and they won't fit into this model.