• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Injecting dangers

What about a cotton ball thats soaked with saline solution after u IV-d? Im no IV expert by any means although even when u get blood drawn they give u something like that. IMO its a really good idea to clean the injection site before injecting to avoid any bacteria or something more sinister to enter ur blood stream which may just be sitting right on the injection site.

Im writting as if the user isn't really prepared but at least has a fit kit which contains swabs and not normally cotten wool although sometimes. Alot of IV users are in a hurry to inject after scoring. I know I am/was.

I almost always wipe my injection site with a swab after I inject. Doesn't seem to make a difference either way with regards to bruising.

A. <3

2 - Identify risks
What are the risks that Sam exposes himself to as a drug user who injects?

The greatest risk as a user who injects is overdose leading to morbidity (Damage) or mortality (Death), other serious risks and complications include:

• Addiction. Heroin is highly addictive. When an individual persists in use of Heroin or other drugs despite problems related to use of the substance, substance dependence may be diagnosed. Compulsive and repetitive use may result in tolerance to the effect of the drug and withdrawal symptoms when use is reduced or stopped. Addiction can create a huge list of biological, psychological and social distress including chronic disease, relationship problems, poverty and death from overdose.

• Blood borne viruses such as Hepatitis B and C and HIV, the virus that leads to AIDS. Blood borne viruses (BBV’S) are those viruses that are transmitted from the blood of one person to the blood of another person.

• Deep Vein Thrombosis is a blood clot in a deep vein. A clot inside a blood vessel is called thrombosis. Symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DTV) range from pain, swelling, redness, warmness, and swollen close (superficial veins) in the legs to no symptoms at all. DTV can clear itself but the most serious complication is when the thrombosis dislodges (embolises) and travels into the lungs becoming a life threatening pulmonary embolism (Blockage of the main artery in the lung).

• Phlebitis is an inflammation of a vein, usually in the legs. When phlebitis is associated with the formation of blood clots (thrombosis), usually in the deep veins of the legs, the condition is called thrombophlebitis. These clots can travel to the lungs, causing pulmonary embolisms that can be fatal. Similar to DTV.

• Ulcers and skin infections are common in IV drug users. Ulcers are generally shallow but have hard edges and arise from a combination of inflammation, foreign bodies and infection. Foreign bodies (toxic materials) in the drug can leak out of veins during the injection (extravasation), “Popping” is when a drug is injected into the fatty layer under the skin. Poor injection technique especially dealing with hygiene practice also increases the amount of bacteria on the skin at the injection site and inflammation.

• Abscesses are collections of pus. They are usually caused by infection with Staphylococcus aureus but in drug users they occasionally contain a mixture of aerobic bacteria (that require oxygen) and anaerobic bacteria (that do not require oxygen). These mixed abscesses often result in a foul odour.

• Cellulitis is a common bacterial infection of the skin, which can affect all ages. It usually affects a limb but can occur anywhere on the body. Symptoms and signs are usually localised to the affected area but patients can become generally unwell with fevers, chills and shakes (bacteraemia). Cellulitis is usually caused by Group A streptococci or Staphylococcus aureus.

• Ischaemic gangrene (dry gangrene) Occurs due to chronic impairment of blood flow. In most patients, the affected part is not infected. This type of gangrene presents clinically as tissue that is cold, black, and dry. In most cases, self-amputation eventually occurs. The pathological processes involved may include:
o Atherosclerosis: associated with peripheral artery disease, diabetes mellitus, smoking
o Thrombosis: associated with vasculitis, IV drug abuse, trauma, antiphospholipid syndrome, malignancy View image
o Vasospasm: associated with Raynaud's phenomenon, cocaine abusers.
• Septacemia refers to a bacterial infection in the bloodstream or body tissues. This is a very broad term covering the presence of many types of microscopic disease-causing organisms. Sepsis can originate anywhere bacteria can gain entry to the body; common sites include the genitourinary tract, the liver and its bile ducts, the gastrointestinal tract, and the lungs. Broken or ulcerated skin can also provide access to bacteria commonly present in the environment this is why IV drug users are so susceptible to this.

3 - Provide education for safer drug use
You have the opportunity to provide Sam with education on safer drug use. What advice do you need to give Sam? Discuss some a harm minimisation approaches that you will implement with Sam.

I would start off with revisiting information Sam should/may/may not know (as a seasoned user I’m guessing he’s heard a lot of it before but not necessarily), such as safer injecting sites and injection hygiene. The safest injecting sites are the sides of the arms and the inner elbow face. Injection must always travel with the flow of blood and not against it. Always use the smallest needle possible to prevent vein damage. NSP supplied syringes are designed to only be used once and so should be only used once. Needles will blunt easily when used with a hard spoon and when used repeatedly, and this can cause vein damage. Be sure to use the disinfectant swabs provided in the fit kit as many as you need, at least one to wipe injection site and another to hold down on site after injection. Never share fits with anyone even if you know for a fact they have ‘clean’ blood as this can spread infectious diseases like Hepatitis and HIV. Always have clean hands washed with soapy water before and after use and handling any of the equipment. Always dispose of used fits in the sharps container provided and dispose of container at exchange agency or other appropriate place. Some people like their filter to be wet before using it and I’ve seen people wet them in their mouth, I’d advice against this due to harmful bacteria ones mouth. I would also give Sam advice using proper bacterial wheel filters and info on the dangers of commonly used filters like cigarette butt filters, cotton wool or a piece of the swab. If sterile water is available always use it but remember they also should only be used once as bacteria will grow when left open.
Also I would encourage Sam to use different ROA’s to try and break his ‘ritual’ with using needles, for the mind and the body.

(copied directly from my latest assignment unit CHCAOD407D answered form a case sdtudy, but the info. is there)

Awesome to see that competency being offered by a training provider! It's an elective (Provide needle syringe services) and normally gets left out in the Cert IV AOD Work.

Just to repeat what others have said - don't swab after! The isoprop inhibits blood clotting - you bleed more and bruise more. A clean tissue is best. I know some say they don't notice the difference - but there is a difference.

Awesome to see that competency being offered by a training provider! It's an elective (Provide needle syringe services) and normally gets left out in the Cert IV AOD Work.

Just to repeat what others have said - don't swab after! The isoprop inhibits blood clotting - you bleed more and bruise more. A clean tissue is best. I know some say they don't notice the difference - but there is a difference.

Nice. And thanks. :)

Are you doing a Cert IV in AOD ayjay? I've been wanting to do that certificate for ages.

A. <3

I'm doing cert 4 in Aod A. :) There the answers I had to a case study

Last edited:
I'd definately prefer to use a swab than tissue (most likley public toilet paper) unless you have hygeniic tissues on you. My blood clots fine and isn't an issue, neither are bruises.

I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to apply disinfectant swabs to the site after injection, iirc it slows down healing or something along those lines.

Great info and advice there though.

it's not recommended to run a swab over the point of injection after shooting. it inhibits the blood clotting and promotes bruising of the area - which you don't exactly want other people noticing.

a warm compress, after a shot, helps with any inflammation (even if the shot was perfect) and speeds up the healing process.

I have a concern that I'm like freaking out over. So Im new to the whole IV scene and I so called "skin popped" and there was a red lump that hurt but I thought it would go away after like a day. Well today is thursday and I did that Monday night and the place where I popped is still really sore. Is this normal? I read up on all that stuff about absesses and I'm really worried

Nclaire0414, no that is not normal. If it is still noticeable and sore it probably means an abcess is forming or it is infected...does it feel hot to the touch? That's another warning sign. Regardless of that, you need to go to a doctor if it has been there since Monday, heed the warnings you have read - not taking care of these things immediately can lead to disigurement, loss of part or all usage of a limb, amputation, or death.

Noone here can assess it for you so get along to a doc. Most doctors in Australia I've told about my IV use haven't batted an eyelid. At the worst you may get a scolding or some rude treatment, but better to feel embarrassed or angry at a doctor and have a functioning body than feel embarrassed and angry at yourself for not getting medical attention and winding up with horrible complications.

Hope it goes well :)

to be still sore, yes, that's normal. it's likely a sterile abscess if it has stayed the same.

has it progressively gotten worse over the last few days or has it been subsiding for the most part? if it's getting worse then please see a doctor about it asap.

in the mean time the only home treatments available is using hot/cold compress over the area and taking an NSAID such as paracetemol to help control the pain and swelling. don't go popping random antibiotics unless prescribed.

i missed a small amount (subcutaneously, skin popped -i slipped out at the end) of a shot in my forearm 2 days ago and although there's no swelling nor redness left the area is still sensitive and a little sore and i expect it to be for another day at the max. i've been treating it with paracetemol and the hot/cold compresses and it has controlled the pain and inflammation as much as possible.

I don't think paracetamol was invited to the "let's become an NSAID" party. Ibuprofen was always an avid contributor.

true dat. it generally gets lumped into nsaids here on bl, though classified an analgesic.

i guess the point i was trying to make is i've found it more effective in the treatment of such an injury rather than ibuprofen.

the video says the womans arm and thigh were the result of missed coaxil (tianeptine).

It still hurts. It hurt more on the second day but there is still some pain. There is no red bump or swelling. I shot at one place but a good portion still feels sore. I just don't want it to be serious and hopefully the tenderness goes away.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about it being serious then get it checked out, especially if this is playing on your mind a lot. Getting a professional to look at it will likely take a lot of the stress away.

Otherwise follow Tentram's advice, the compresses I have found to be particularly good at clearing up/reducing the pain of a miss...although I have always used them right after it happened.

Hi all, forgive me if this has been mentioned but I did a lot of reading on problems that come from a missed shot and one thing that kept on coming up as being reported to be very effective at treating things like a "missed shot abscess" is topical DMSO.

DMSO can be applied to the area and should be very effective at forcing the absorption and elimination of all the nasty shit trapped in the tissue after a missed shot.

"Skin pop"

The notion of injection street drugs (no matter how pure they're said to be) into anything other than a vein is almost guaranteed to cause problems. It's a good way to acquire some terrible, disfiguring scars and some of sizes of some of the abscesses I've seen on people as a result of missed shots must be terrible to have to deal with and take a long time to heal with many flair ups along the way.

A missed injection should be treated very seriously because the potential for long term nastyness undeniable.

It's fine now and I'm really glad. I was getting really worried. But ya IV isn't my thing. As nice as it feels I am not risking doing it on myself because I am afraid i'll fuck up again and that time it might be more serious. When something happends and I read about the dangers I'll freak out and think the worst. Thanks for all the advice though! I appreciate it :)

^probably a wise (hoi(e

my 'see' key isn't working

The notion of injection street drugs (no matter how pure they're said to be) into anything other than a vein is almost guaranteed to cause problems. It's a good way to acquire some terrible, disfiguring scars and some of sizes of some of the abscesses I've seen on people as a result of missed shots must be terrible to have to deal with and take a long time to heal with many flair ups along the way.

A missed injection should be treated very seriously because the potential for long term nastyness undeniable.

indeed.

refer to this thread for eg's - Case Studies Thread