• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Info on Degree and Entry Level Pay

^^^
Sounds like you have some ideas, which is a good place to start. Don't feel rushed, you have a little time to work things out. My friend majored in economics because he wanted to balance "future salary vs. how interesting it is." This is a simplistic way of viewing things. He ended up hating it, dropping out, and trying to become a professional bicyclist!

I would give you an honest answer.

But you're asking the wrong question.

If you're smart enough to get into graduate school, then you're smart enough to do something you love for a living.

And if you haven't picked up on my not-so-subtle hint yet, then you're probably not smart enough for either.

And no. I'm at college for money, blahblahblah. I detest that do what you love philosophy. My take, is do what you can stand for the best money and best time, and then in your free time, do what you love.

good luck with that.

TheodoreRoosevelt said:

I detest that do what you love philosophy.

My take, is do what you can stand for the best money and best time, and then in your free time, do what you love.

If you're talented and you're passionate about your career, you're going to make money.

But no matter what do for a career, you can't create more time.

Some people say that time equals money, but I strongly disagree.

No one is ever on their death bed, regretting that they didn't make more money.

But I personally know many extremely bright individuals who ALREADY regret that they don't have enough time in which to do the things that matter most to them.

Life is not about making money.

Life is about figuring out who you are, and then being that person.

I would just like links providing information and discussing the topic of entry-level pay, what undergrad majors are hot, what grad schools are worthwhile, and what jobs each major leads to.

I would also like information regarding Biology/Pharmacy related fields, Economics, Business, and Computer Science Undergraduate fields.

Right now I'm a little more concerned about undergraduate majors and whatnot than graduate stuff (seeing as my current position is undergrad).

And I don't really know anything about engineering, but that sounds interesting. I don't go to an engineering school but I could go to one in the future. It seems to me that engineering can basically be applied to most fields, and has to do with actually making things?

L O V E L I F E said:
No one is ever on their death bed, regretting that they didn't make more money.
Regardless of whether or not I have agreed or disagreed with you beofore, I think this is the most beautiful thing you typed on this forum that I have read, espeically with a nickname like yours.

Cheers :).

Learn Arabic and work as a translator in Iraq. Big bucks! If you don't mind being shot at.

Bump

Basically looking for information on the entry level pay, what the average pay is, and what jobs generally correlate to the following undergrad degrees:

Economics and Business

Chemistry and Biology

This is for undergrad, and I need to figure this out pretty soon. I'll probably go grad, but you can pretty much go to any grad school usually not dependent on what your undergrad is. Anyways, your grad is usually related to your undergrad work.

I'm thinking either Economics/Business (similar degrees) or Chemistry/Biology (also somewhat similar degrees).

It depends on what area you get into in each of those specific fields. Some are going to be more lucrative than others... i.e. finance/stock broking/international business are ways to big bucks (including massive amounts of time spent at work, and little to no social life for a while)

Chemistry/Biology could get you somewhere... maybe... you'd more likely than not end up in a lab. Lab scientists don't make all that much cash unless they manage to develop something awesome that they can patent.

Chemistry/Biology as an Engineering degree i.e. Chemical Engineering - which encompasses biotech, nanotech, and heaps of other bio-engineering stuff as well as general chem eng is a pretty good path to take. The world is in a minerals boom at the moment, so working for a mining company can get you big money... also chemical engineering prepares you well to work in resource management, like oil and gas... which can be very very lucrative depending on where you go...

It depends on what you want though.

CB.

I guess my concerns are availability of a job in the major, how much money it makes, how much schooling the path requires (ie I could just get a Econ Degree, maybe Masters in Econ, or I could go to Biology, go to Med School, spend forever there, et cetera), and how hard that path is generally seen as.

Thanks.

^^^
Don't need a science degree to go to med school.

It all depends on what you like doing. I mean, working in an office as a finance guy is completely different than doing lab work or getting into medicine.

Things will be hard either way...you have to like what you're doing.

Don't need a science degree to go to med school.

True. And Grad school is most likely needed, unless like a BA 4-year in Econ/Business or Bio/Chem is enough to get a decent job. But still, it's not like I can just say "Well it isn't that big a deal since I can get any degree to go to med school or etc., so I'll just major in history!"

But yea, I just was wondering where these roads lead. I know there are more specifics to both, but just on the general. I'm just a freshmen right now, but I'd like to declare a major.

Either Econ/Business or Biology/Chem. I say it with X/X since they are pretty similar routes, and don't really differ in the last two years of school. I can easily switch between the two during those two years. But right now, as a freshmen, I'd like to at least pick one of those two for right now, and start heading in that direction.

Obviously people change, but it'd be nice if I didn't. I'm confident whatever direction I go, it's either in Science (some sort of Bio probably), or Econ (Maybe business since it is similar from what I hear). I know I should do what I like to do, but I like both of these.

What would make me choose one, over the other, is dependent on a few questions I would like answered, or be shown where I could get the answer from (magazine, article, online page, etc.):

- Jobs that go with the degree (What do econ majors work as usually, bio majors work as, etcetera). I know that grad school and such can all be a big factor, but for now, just interested in BA degrees. I feel if I focus on that first, grad school and all such will be fine should I choose to go that way (which I definately think I will).

- Entry level pay of jobs that go with the degree. You hear things like Chem and Bio are similar, but Chem has better and more job opportunities with just a BA, et cetera. Just interested in what Econ/Business and Bio/Chem degrees offer on the job market. One of the biggest turn-offs for English, for example, is how few the good jobs are compared to other fields. This also takes into account that I hate subjective stuff, and more of an objective person.

- How hard each major is typically seen as. Obviously all are hard, but say, Chemical Engineering, is a little harder than Econ. It also depends on the person, but well, just anecdotal stuff about how hard the degree is, and perhaps the after-BA school stuff is.

Thanks!

Hey guys, i got my Bachelor of Drug Dealing and currently earning about 40k per annum. its great cos i get to work the hours i want, surround myself with similiar people and make lots of cash in the mean time too!

And when the police come chase after me, it all becomes an adrenaline rush of adventure in fleeing the cops. Being constantly eaves dropped and pretending to say normal things requires the use of my brain in creative and intelligent ways which are not normally applicable to normal jobs.

If you want to take your career path like me, feel free to submit your resume at:

[email and ph# deleted... joke or not, just don't.]

Last edited by a moderator:
^^

Thanks for the inspiring post.

Go find another forum to be "funny" in.

I edited your post to remove the phone number, just in case it actually is your phone number... you never know... people are fucking stupid some times... and we tend to frown upon that sort of thing.

I'm sure I'll go to grad school, but the impression I get is that the path you choose to follow in undergrad school won't make or break your acceptance into grad school or your path there. Kinda like what courses you take in high school don't mean shit for your undergraduate degree - as long as you work hard you got it kind of thing.

But I suppose I'll still look into engineering. I don't really understand it, it seems to be such a wide field. What's the difference between a biology degree and biology engineering? So many different engineers too. I also don't go to a engineer school, but I could always transfer.

lol, of course they are fake email/mobs.

I've just completed major in economics and management. Although i loved my course, and received multiple awards for academic excellence, it really doesnt do too much for my job aspects- i do have a job now, but it paid less per hour than my telesales job previously.

Although keep in mind, when doing a degree just for the cash at the end of it, its hard to be successful at doing things you dislike. You have to at least have a mild interest in it, otherwise the money is never come in- managers know whether you're passionate or not, and its really easy to see it when you're working 8 hours a day, 40 per week.

managers know whether you're passionate or not, and its really easy to see it when you're working 8 hours a day, 40 per week
Lets not forget in medicine as residents you can do anywhere up to 80 - 120 hour weeks... you can't fake it then even if you really want the money :)

Part of the reason I like technology work because there is always something new especially if you work for consulting companies or as a independent consultant.

I am actually now trying out what its like to work in the same specialized group. Its not bad and is less stressful than being a generalist since you can basically just get into a routine of doing almost the same thing each day but I definitely wouldn't want to do it unless there was a clear track towards bigger responsibilities down the road.

I like both econ/business and science.

I just hate subjective stuff, like art and english. God I hate english classes.

I majored in Latin and Classical Civ.
I can't get a decent paying job for the life of me.