Indicator's of a struggling student ...

When you show up to your 8am class on Friday morning directly from Teriyakianarkisaki (it used to be a Thursday night club).

When you walk up to your lecturer and they say "Hello *******, how are you and when do you want the extension until?".

When your friend drops around to your place and hands you an assignment that you dont remember doing and says the asked if anyone in the class sees you regularly and if so could they hand you the assignment that was given back in class 3 weeks ago. (I got a H1 on that which is a high distinction).

When your friends in class humour themselves by drawing on your face while you sleep.

When you fall asleep in the first 5 to 10 mins of class but can always wake up 45 minutes later to catch the lecture summaries.

When you have already considered how many marks you will lose by not attending the tutes and which of the assignments are hurdle assignments.

When you wake up with a page stuck to your face with drool and your friends pissing themselves laughing because you were 'rowing' in your sleep. (Hey it was rowing season, that sport is your life during the season).

When you wake up to your alarm at 10am and decide that going back to sleep until 12 is a far better option than getting up for lectures because lunch is on at 12.

When you have a chem exam the next day but you decide you should play 2 hours more quake at 8pm before starting studying.

When you do finally start studying for said chem exam you drink coffee for the first time and ignorantly brew it far too strong, leaving you wired, jittery but unable to study.

When you look at your notes in SWATVAC and notice that the writing on the pages often turn into incomprehensible squiggles and then a blue dot, indicating the precise point in the lecture you fell asleep.

When you go to uni for two years before finding out where the faculty's library is and you never set foot in the general library.

When the only time you go to the library during the first two years is to the Architechture library to get books out for your sister.

When you ride to uni and show up to a prac about 10 minutes late and hear they have started, so decide to ride home rather than walk in late.

When you go to the student bar at lunchtime and not leave until 6 or 7 pm, even though you promised yourself you'd get to those afternoon lectures.

When you find out you only have one lecture on a Friday at 8 am, so decide its long weekends the whole semester.

When two of your good mates, who also just happen to be your drug dealers, show up to your house every Wednesday or Thursday night trying to get you to guinea pig (mostly with them) what they have picked up for the weekend.

When you know there are 9 possible topics that they can ask on the exam, so decide to study 5, therefore giving you the best chance of passing the exam while studying the least possible content.

When you realise that the exam that you thought was two days later than the previous, is actually only one day later. (How was I supposed to realise that an afternoon exam on the 16th then a morning exam on the 18th meant I only had one day in between).

When you are hallucinating from sleep deprivation on almost your 5th day of being awake so decide rather than trying to get 3 more hours study in some sleep would be good before that exam.

When you stay awake for two days promising yourself you'll get that assignment done but instead talk to one of your uni mates online all night both nights so on the third night take some meth so that you can get that assigment done because you've already lost 5% now that it will be a day late. (This process resulted in that assignment that I didnt remember doing above, I still couldnt tell you the content of it, but I do remember powering through it and referencing it superbly).

I think this is enough for me. Amasingly the only subject I ever failed was that chem one. After that I learnt to master the use of coffee.

^ Fuck me, that post has got me worried. Far too many of those had me nodding my head in agreement and worry.

When you find out you only have one lecture on a Friday at 8 am, so decide its long weekends the whole semester.

This sums up my 4 years of undergraduate study ;)

CB :)

Its rather shocking, but there are plenty more I can add if you guys wish. Those are ones that I threw out off the top of my head, but there is a huge pile of things I did at uni that I am not really proud of and almost feel I dont deserve a degree for.

That said, there was always the saying "P's mean degrees". A side note is also that I wasn't really a struggling student, more a lazy student. Hell my marks were enough to get me into postgrad work and masters. I don't in any way condone the behaviour that I have posted. It was merely a part of my undergraduate life.

Work hard and consistently everyone, it's the only thing that will get you anywhere.