• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'm worried my daughter is doing heroin

Any update cornacopia? It also might be a good thing to show her this site. I know I got a lot out of blue light when I was quitting heroin.

Hi, sorry I have not updated about our situation for a while. Things have just been hectic lately. Well, the good news is that she is safely back home now, so we can keep an eye on her. She's basically under house arrest at the moment: we aren't letting her out of the house unattended, and we're keeping a track of any money that we have given her. I'll still be unwilling to give her any money for anything for a few months at least, until I know that there's no chance on her getting hooked on that stuff again (and, I know, that is all too likely...) She is still under prescription medication. Even though she is still having the "heroin cravings", She says she wants to quit, but I don't know if she's 100% telling the truth... I'm trying to build my trust with her though. And yes, I have shown her this site, as I think that she will find a lot of good information and support from here. I am hoping she is really planning on staying sober, but hopefully, she can talk to some people on here, and people that have been through the same situation, and I think that will help her a lot.
And I'm still curious that the drug treatment facility she was in, hopefully it was a better choice than long term rehab, as she is still young, and wasn't addicted for very long. We will see how it goes, anyway... Hoping for the best for her right now, and I'm praying she will get through it with mine and other's support!

House arrest is pretty counterproductive though I know it's your instinct as a parent. She needs to be out finding things she is interested in besides heroin. It also sounds like depression drove her use being in the house all day or treated in a condensended manner wont help that. She is going to rebel against your authority. My parents made that mistake and it took a small experimentation with drugs by a depressed kid and turned my life into that of a drug addict who still lives with them at 28.

The point I am making is she needs life affirming experiences like going to Japan. While locking her in the house may make you feel better it's not about you. My advice is to treat her like an adult. We have a famous saying in the states trust but verify. Give her freedom but verify she's using it smartly. Sit down and talk as a family about all this say look we only want to help you but if we suspect your using heroin then we will give you a drug test. Then if she fails it's time for more intense treatment. But for now treat this like it's not a big deal so It doesnt become a big deal.

19 is tough university is hard we all made some poor choices at that age. Heroin just happens to be in vogue at the moment.
But like I said locking her in the house is the worst thing you can do. If that is your plan she is much better off in rehab. At least there she will get some mental health care instead of sitting around feeling like a child. If the depression is as bad as some of your posts made it sound she needed mental health anyway.

Last edited:
House arrest is pretty counterproductive though I know it's your instinct as a parent. She needs to be out finding things she is interested in besides heroin. It also sounds like depression drove her use being in the house all day or treated in a condensended manner wont help that. She is going to rebel against your authority. My parents made that mistake and it took a small experimentation with drugs by a depressed kid and turned my life into that of a drug addict who still lives with them at 28.

The point I am making is she needs life affirming experiences like going to Japan. While locking her in the house may make you feel better it's not about you. My advice is to treat her like an adult. We have a famous saying in the states trust but verify. Give her freedom but verify she's using it smartly. Sit down and talk as a family about all this say look we only want to help you but if we suspect your using heroin then we will give you a drug test. Then if she fails it's time for more intense treatment. But for now treat this like it's not a big deal so It doesnt become a big deal.

19 is tough university is hard we all made some poor choices at that age. Heroin just happens to be in vogue at the moment.
But like I said locking her in the house is the worst thing you can do. If that is your plan she is much better off in rehab. At least there she will get some mental health care instead of sitting around feeling like a child. If the depression is as bad as some of your posts made it sound she needed mental health anyway.

There is more wisdom in this post than I have seen anywhere else on BL in quite a while.