• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'm having a hard time quitting alcohole

L

LaurenMahony

Please call me I need advice on how to quit drinking

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to you Lauren. Do you need help detoxing? It's not safe to quit alcohol cold turkey. You can do it the old fashioned way and have someone ration your alcohol and taper you off; you can go to a hospital and get a short script of benzodiazepines (likely Librium or Ativan) so you can safely detox outpatient (that's what I'm doing right now), or you can check yourself into an inpatient detox for 7-10 days. Inpatient can also help you find a follow up treatment program as well. If you've never been to inpatient rehab it might be something you want to try. I've quit all three ways but they difficult part is not stopping, it's staying stopped. I cracked after 18 months sober, I know other people who have cracked years after the fact. For whatever reason alcohol has the lowest recovery rates of all drugs. I quit opiate pain pills pretty easily but alcohol, that's the one I'm having the problem kicking.

Last edited:
Same here, I've had impatient, outpatient several times, and the most recent time was with tapering and no librium... It's hell going through withdrawals, but seek some help first (or knowledge if you go the tapering route.) Then you can worry about staying sober, which truly is the hardest part.

But yes DO NOT go cold turkey. Depending on how much you drink and for how long it CAN kill you.

Last edited:
I did not read the original post but go see a doctor/medical professional, check into a detox/rehab run by medical professionals, or go to a hospital.

DO NOT attempt DIY (do it yourself) alcohol withdrawal yourself or with a friend/family member. People have died this way. Stay safe.

Start by finding a doctor who can help you address your drinking problem(s).

In terms of pharmacotheraputic support, Vivitol is helpful for some people. As long as you remember to take it properly, oral naltrexone is also helpful. Avoid the Antabuse shit, there are better options. Baclofen is really helpful for some people at reducing cravings for alcohol too. Hell, you could even explore using Phenibut. But working with a doctor on this is a must.

Can you give us more info on your situation OP?

1. How long have you been drinking?
  2. How long has your drinking caused you problems?
  3. What have you tried in terms of stopping drinking?
  4. What problems has your drinking caused you?
  5. Have you ever tried rehab or IOP?
  6. Do you have any peer support?
  7. Do you have a doctor?
  8. Have you ever tried AA, SMART Recovery or Refuge Recovery (or any other forms of auxiliary support)?
  9. Does your family/loved ones know you are struggling with this, and are they aware of the extent to which it's causing you hard?
Knowing stuff like that will allow us to give you much higher quality feedback. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey LM,

As priest has noted, alcohol withdrawl is not to be taken lightly. Id also advise seeking professional advice, if possible.

And tpd posed some serious questions which will help us better understand your situation.

Alcohol was my drug of choice too. But im not as well versed on the medical side of things.

I have ways that ive learned to overcome my addiction but ill save that for another day.

For now just know that youre not alone.
I hope all is well.
Much love.
toc