• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

I'm going to the doctor for prozac

BlueNakedLady said:
Then what are anti depressants for if they dont treat depression? you were prabably using it wrong because you have to be on it everyday for like a year and if you stop before that you'll get more depressed and get suicidle. And also when you first start taking it you will feel more depressed because the drug wont work until about 4 weeks so maybe that's why you felt more depressed. source: http://www.prozac.com/index.jsp
there are more anti depressants than just prozac, and they all work in different ways. i tried two different ones, each time i kept up with them for MONTHS, and it didn't do me any good. don't go running to meds as the first answer to everything.
really, go to a psychologist and talk to him or her about all this. tell them that you have been using e, and about your depression, and they can help you figure out what option is best for you.

I would like to clarify something in all of this, most of the anti-depressant pills on the market right now are SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor). This means that they DO NOT make more serotonin in your brain but cause your brain to use it more effectively. Wikipedia as a great article on it if you want to read more about it. Though I do caution you against people saying these have little to no side effects. From personal experience they can really mess you up and not in anyway that you may enjoy.
As people have said I suggest you stay off all drugs for a while. Take small amounts of 5-HTP (an amino acid that inside the body helps produce more serotonin) and do things that make you happy. If the depression continues, see a counselor.

brayne said:
yes seriously don't take prozac or serotonin "medication"..

the psychiatrists will be more than happy to give you some prescription drugs; they have been brainwashed to sell them in numbers.

pills don't cure depression, they just mask the symptom... it's better to heal depression by localizing the root of the problem and healing it there.

use prozac or xanax only as a last option,

quit using all drugs (including weed if you do) and use 5-htp for a little while (but don't do too much)... this will bring back serotonin in your brain.

try do some sports this is good for mental health

and perhaps try this course in happiness , see if it something for you :)

good luck

To be honest, BlueNakedLady, I wouldn't consider this to be the best of advice. It's true that many antidepressants may be prescribed to the wrong people. They're handed out at the shortest sign of sadness for some. However, for people who have had depression for some time, they may represent the only solution.

It's true that CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) also can help; it does not help all however.

Antidepressants do not mask the symptoms. They generate sustained relief from depression in many people, that lasts for a long time after they stop taking them.

What you need to do is see a doctor about it. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if part of the symptoms you're experiencing now are from drug use. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are. That doesn't mean the whole of those symptoms are from drug use, however.

You need to realise that prozac isn't an instant fix. Taking it for a week isn't going to make you happy as larry. They're not happy pills either, for that matter - they don't make you happy... they make you normal. If that's the path you go down, you're going to have to take them for at least six months, possibly as much as a year to get sustained relief.

Fair to say that antidepressants seem to help some people, but i would hesitate to call the ensuing state "NORMAL" - no medicated state of mind should be considered normal.

Why not just be open with the doctor and ask him upfront if he's going to keep your consultation confidential? If he says yes then tell him about your ecstasy use, it'll help him diagnose and treat you correctly. Rather than just going in and saying "could you prescrible me such and such" you should let him know the full situation and then discuss your options. After all, he's the one with all the training and knowledge.

VelocideX said:
To be honest, BlueNakedLady, I wouldn't consider this to be the best of advice. It's true that many antidepressants may be prescribed to the wrong people. They're handed out at the shortest sign of sadness for some. However, for people who have had depression for some time, they may represent the only solution.

It's true that CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) also can help; it does not help all however.

Antidepressants do not mask the symptoms. They generate sustained relief from depression in many people, that lasts for a long time after they stop taking them.

What you need to do is see a doctor about it. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if part of the symptoms you're experiencing now are from drug use. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are. That doesn't mean the whole of those symptoms are from drug use, however.

You need to realise that prozac isn't an instant fix. Taking it for a week isn't going to make you happy as larry. They're not happy pills either, for that matter - they don't make you happy... they make you normal. If that's the path you go down, you're going to have to take them for at least six months, possibly as much as a year to get sustained relief.

Well, I decided it was proabably just from drug use since I'm feeling better today. I hear that 5-htp works wonders for depression I might look into getting a bottle of this natural anti-depressant.

Ernestrome said:
Fair to say that antidepressants seem to help some people, but i would hesitate to call the ensuing state "NORMAL" - no medicated state of mind should be considered normal.

things like depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance, sometimes there is just something WRONG with the way your brain is working, aside from outside factors causing an individual mental stress. antidepressants and other medications like that can help balance out or whatever needs to happen to your brain to help you live a NORMAL life. some people NEED medication to live normally.

BlueNakedLady said:
Well, I decided it was proabably just from drug use since I'm feeling better today. I hear that 5-htp works wonders for depression I might look into getting a bottle of this natural anti-depressant.

good to hear you are doing better :) i hope the 5 htp helps too.

Just because 5-HTP comes from a plant doesn't make it any safer, or better. The evidence that it works is weak, and for most people, access to a pharmaceutical is cheaper.