• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'ld like to hear from anyone who uses an opioid to fight depression.

Gabapentin has become quite popular, so it must confer some benefit to some users. Sounds like you are in that group. If it interrupts the onset of distressing symptoms, then it's worth having available.
How long does it take for Gabapentin to work? Let say hypothetically that one needs something ASAP in order to survive until next appointment. In a long term Benzo (Bromazepam) makes TRD worse. But how about just for 3-4 days? Any advice is much appreciated.

How long does it take for Gabapentin to work? Let say hypothetically that one needs something ASAP in order to survive until next appointment. In a long term Benzo (Bromazepam) makes TRD worse. But how about just for 3-4 days? Any advice is much appreciated.

In my case, I didn't find that it worked much at all. It was supposed to reduce my anxiety. It didn't. From what I've read, there isn't a lot of evidence that gabapentin can do much for psychiatric problems. This drug is an anticonvulsant. It has proven to be useful in reducing certain types of seizures. It can also help you to fall asleep.

Somewhere along the line, psychiatrists came up with the bright idea that a drug which reduces pathologic seizure activity might very well confer other benefits on the brain. I believe some of that was wishful thinking. I was put on a few different anticonvulsive drugs. None of them did squat for my depression or anxiety. It's easy to find articles on the Internet that say using these drugs for psych problems has taken off like a fad that is not proving all that effective. I have seen multiple articles claiming gabapentin does reduce social anxiety. For that, they claim there is some real evidence. I don't know how long that takes to kick in.

It definitely stimulates your appetite. That effect kicked in right away for me. I was already carrying some extra pounds, so I was not happy to find myself eating more.

I think benzodiazepines work quickly to reduce psychological distress . . . if you take a big enough dose. That's why benzodiazepines have high street value. They do provide a quick fix, but that can wear off over the long term. Then you find yourself addicted and taking them just to stave off withdrawal. That happened to me with Librium.

For depression with anxiety, the best drug I ever encountered was amitriptyline. They say it takes weeks to kick in. Not in my experience. Anytime I went back on it, after being off it a few months, I felt much improved in 3 or 4 days.

I find Gabapentin works (kicks in) within 30 minutes. When I first got my script for it I was prescribed 300mg caps, so at night I took 2 caps (600mg) and a short time later my body felt so comfortable like I just smoked a joint. Even now if I feel anxiety coming on, body just doesn't feel right, my back starting to sweat a little, ill take 300mg Gabapentin and shortly after I feel comfortable again.

But my main reason for taking it is to help with PAWs. Not sure how or if it will work for situations like bridging the gap between scripts of something.

In my case, I didn't find that it worked much at all. It was supposed to reduce my anxiety. It didn't. From what I've read, there isn't a lot of evidence that gabapentin can do much for psychiatric problems. This drug is an anticonvulsant. It has proven to be useful in reducing certain types of seizures. It can also help you to fall asleep.

Somewhere along the line, psychiatrists came up with the bright idea that a drug which reduces pathologic seizure activity might very well confer other benefits on the brain. I believe some of that was wishful thinking. I was put on a few different anticonvulsive drugs. None of them did squat for my depression or anxiety. It's easy to find articles on the Internet that say using these drugs for psych problems has taken off like a fad that is not proving all that effective. I have seen multiple articles claiming gabapentin does reduce social anxiety. For that, they claim there is some real evidence. I don't know how long that takes to kick in.

It definitely stimulates your appetite. That effect kicked in right away for me. I was already carrying some extra pounds, so I was not happy to find myself eating more.

I think benzodiazepines work quickly to reduce psychological distress . . . if you take a big enough dose. That's why benzodiazepines have high street value. They do provide a quick fix, but that can wear off over the long term. Then you find yourself addicted and taking them just to stave off withdrawal. That happened to me with Librium.

For depression with anxiety, the best drug I ever encountered was amitriptyline. They say it takes weeks to kick in. Not in my experience. Anytime I went back on it, after being off it a few months, I felt much improved in 3 or 4 days.
I've been taking amitriptyline for the last decade. Currently on 150mg at bedtime with zero antidepressant effect. Just gives me a few extra hours of sleep and that's it.

In conclusion. When mild opioids stop working for TRD (Treatment Resistant Depression) due to tolerance, we don't have much choice. A few benzos, antipsychotics and that's basically it. New treatments apparently work but due to extremely high price are not accessible by general population. If anybody here had a chance to try: esketamine, MDMA, psilocybin... PLEASE let us know is it working, how does it feel and is it worth the money? Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you two things about ketamine. 1. There's studies out there showing that esketamine is less effective than ketamine. 2. Tolerance is an issue for both, because most people do need to continue getting the drug administered, though the frequency they need varies from person to person. Apparently tolerance to the anti-depressant effect can even grow with people who are getting monthly treatments though. 3. Ketamine did not work for my depression even the slightest. But I guess it did erase my anxiety for about a week after each infusion? They do say it does work for some with TRD though, and there's always going to be individual differences in how any treatment or drug affects people.

Well, I can tell you two things about ketamine. 1. There's studies out there showing that esketamine is less effective than ketamine. 2. Tolerance is an issue for both, because most people do need to continue getting the drug administered, though the frequency they need varies from person to person. Apparently tolerance to the anti-depressant effect can even grow with people who are getting monthly treatments though. 3. Ketamine did not work for my depression even the slightest. But I guess it did erase my anxiety for about a week after each infusion? They do say it does work for some with TRD though, and there's always going to be individual differences in how any treatment or drug affects people.
Thanks mate for being honest. I am sorry to hear that Ketamine didn't work for your depression. I guess one does not know is it helpful until tries it. Just one month of esketamine nasal spray therapy costs around $3000 with no guarantees. I could find (borrow) borrow that money but I see no point because you need at least several sessions in order to find out is it good for you. I am officially diagnosed with TRD but my GP still makes me try all kinds of SSRI'S with no results at all. It's hard to accept the fact that my TRD is incurable. I wish there's some hope at the horizon but that's all just a wishful thinking.

Thanks mate for being honest. I am sorry to hear that Ketamine didn't work for your depression. I guess one does not know is it helpful until tries it. Just one month of esketamine nasal spray therapy costs around $3000 with no guarantees. I could find (borrow) borrow that money but I see no point because you need at least several sessions in order to find out is it good for you. I am officially diagnosed with TRD but my GP still makes me try all kinds of SSRI'S with no results at all. It's hard to accept the fact that my TRD is incurable. I wish there's some hope at the horizon but that's all just a wishful thinking.
Are you in Australia? You sound like it by saying mate. I only ask as I am in Australia also and very interested in trying ketamine for depression.

Are you in Australia? You sound like it by saying mate. I only ask as I am in Australia also and very interested in trying ketamine for depression.
I am mate. Born and raised in Adelaide. Saw my Psychiatrist recently and he told me that esketamine nasal spray Spravato won't be affordable any time soon. It's not covered by Medicare and weekly treatment costs around $800-900.

Last edited:
This is a very important topic which can (literally) save lives. We are not talking about painkillers for recreational use. We are talking about minimal dose for TRD. Most overdose cases happen by accident. But some of them are intentional, due to a lack of treatment for depression. I woke up this morning with a dark thoughts and was unable to get out of bed. Took 10mg Endone and after 15-20 minutes l am writing this post and feeling "normal". Some will call it a miracle but I think there's a logical explanation for all of this. Opiates improve your mood and that's a fact. It's not easy but it's doable. All one needs is a discipline. Unfortunately it's not easy to get Government's approval for this kind of treatment. All they care about are rules, not our health. It's been almost a year since I started this treatment and results are amazing. Next month my Dr. has to reapply again and I am really scared. What if they say NO? Why do l have to feel like a criminal just because I want to live? So PLEASE let's continue this topic as it gives HOPE to many of us. BLUELIGHT saved more lives than all outdated "therapies" combined. So any advice or experience will be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks. 🙏

This is a very important topic which can (literally) save lives. We are not talking about painkillers for recreational use. We are talking about minimal dose for TRD. Most overdose cases happen by accident. But some of them are intentional, due to a lack of treatment for depression. I woke up this morning with a dark thoughts and was unable to get out of bed. Took 10mg Endone and after 15-20 minutes l am writing this post and feeling "normal". Some will call it a miracle but I think there's a logical explanation for all of this. Opiates improve your mood and that's a fact. It's not easy but it's doable. All one needs is a discipline. Unfortunately it's not easy to get Government's approval for this kind of treatment. All they care about are rules, not our health. It's been almost a year since I started this treatment and results are amazing. Next month my Dr. has to reapply again and I am really scared. What if they say NO? Why do l have to feel like a criminal just because I want to live? So PLEASE let's continue this topic as it gives HOPE to many of us. BLUELIGHT saved more lives than all outdated "therapies" combined. So any advice or experience will be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks. 🙏

I had to look up Endone. I see it is oxycodone. That's great that it is helping you with depression. I'm amazed your doctor is able to prescribe it for that. (Am I understanding you that depression is why you're on it?) I wonder how long you'll be able to get it. As you become more and more tolerant of your daily dose, it may become less helpful. That's the big problem with opioids. My hydrocodone doesn't help me as much as it used to. I don't dare ask for more. My doctor is already talking about weening me off it.

I had to look up Endone. I see it is oxycodone. That's great that it is helping you with depression. I'm amazed your doctor is able to prescribe it for that. (Am I understanding you that depression is why you're on it?) I wonder how long you'll be able to get it. As you become more and more tolerant of your daily dose, it may become less helpful. That's the big problem with opioids. My hydrocodone doesn't help me as much as it used to. I don't dare ask for more. My doctor is already talking about weening me off it.
I also have a chronic pain (headache) for the last 15-20 years and Endone is prescribed for that. For me it's the only Medication (off the label) that relieves symptoms of TRD. To be honest I will swap my depression for the most painful headache at any time. I asked my Psychiatrist about tolerance and in his opinion l shouldn't be worried at such a small dose. When I first tried Endone I felt a bit relaxed and that feeling is long gone. But it still works like a charm for TRD. In my humble opinion only people who would complain about tolerance are recreational users. I can't afford to be one of them because if I take more than 10mg today, I'll have nothing for tomorrow. It's not easy and it took me a while to learn how to resist a temptation. It would be nice to hear from people (if any) who tried some of the new treatments (MDMA, psilocybin, Spravato nasal spray).

ps. By the way my chronic headache is much better now. On a bad days I use to take whole pack of Paracetamol (24 tablets). In the last several months - NONE. It hurts from time to time but It's just a normal pain which I can ignore.

Last edited:
I also have a chronic pain (headache) for the last 15-20 years and Endone is prescribed for that. For me it's the only Medication (off the label) that relieves symptoms of TRD. To be honest I will swap my depression for the most painful headache at any time. I asked my Psychiatrist about tolerance and in his opinion l shouldn't be worried at such a small dose. When I first tried Endone I felt a bit relaxed and that feeling is long gone. But it still works like a charm for TRD. In my humble opinion only people who would complain about tolerance are recreational users. I can't afford to be one of them because if I take more than 10mg today, I'll have nothing for tomorrow. It's not easy and it took me a while to learn how to resist a temptation. It would be nice to hear from people (if any) who tried some of the new treatments (MDMA, psilocybin, Spravato nasal spray).

ps. By the way my chronic headache is much better now. On a bad days I use to take whole pack of Paracetamol (24 tablets). In the last several months - NONE. It hurts from time to time but It's just a normal pain which I can ignore.

Do not take 24 paracetamols in one day. That is real toxic to the liver. Opiods are less dangerous, unless you do enough dope to stop you from breathing.

I was on a barbiturate (Fiorinol) for headaches, and it was great. Does your psychiatrist know you take the Endone to ease your depression? It's great that you get some relief from it. Eventually, tolerance will reduce that benefit. That could take years to totally lose the benefit.

I think most pychological problems boil down to interpersonal/social problems. Too much time alone is very hard on the mind.

Do not take 24 paracetamols in one day. That is real toxic to the liver. Opiods are less dangerous, unless you do enough dope to stop you from breathing.

I was on a barbiturate (Fiorinol) for headaches, and it was great. Does your psychiatrist know you take the Endone to ease your depression? It's great that you get some relief from it. Eventually, tolerance will reduce that benefit. That could take years to totally lose the benefit.

I think most pychological problems boil down to interpersonal/social problems. Too much time alone is very hard on the mind.
I am done with Paracetamols and my GP is surprised that my liver is still OK. Psychiatrist is a 100% with me regarding 10mg Endone. He said there is no cure for TRD and not to expect any breakthrough in the next couple of years. Meanwhile small dose of opioids is the only thing that can ease the symptoms. Maybe something else would have better effect than Endone but I'm not sure if the government would approve it? Can't afford to gamble with my lifeline.

I am done with Paracetamols and my GP is surprised that my liver is still OK. Psychiatrist is a 100% with me regarding 10mg Endone. He said there is no cure for TRD and not to expect any breakthrough in the next couple of years. Meanwhile small dose of opioids is the only thing that can ease the symptoms. Maybe something else would have better effect than Endone but I'm not sure if the government would approve it? Can't afford to gamble with my lifeline.

I glad you and your doctor are on the same page. If the Endone helps, it's hard to argue with success.

Does anyone know if tapendatol is like an opioid?
Tapentadol oral solution and tablet are used to treat pain severe enough to require opioid treatment and when other pain medicines did not work well enough or cannot be tolerated. The extended-release tablet is used to treat severe pain, including pain caused by nerve damage from diabetes.

opiates are good for a chill day or cancel a hangover, but there are plenty of effective antidepressants with minimal to no side effects after a few weeks on-boarding period which can be eased with a beta-blocker like propanolol in some cases.

and they are scientifically supported

id say antidepressants have done 70% of the heavy lifting for my depression and anxiety and therapy has been 30%

opiates are good for a chill day or cancel a hangover, but there are plenty of effective antidepressants with minimal to no side effects after a few weeks on-boarding period which can be eased with a beta-blocker like propanolol in some cases.

and they are scientifically supported

id say antidepressants have done 70% of the heavy lifting for my depression and anxiety and therapy has been 30%
I agree. They work for most people and that's the fact. But there's a small percentage of us with TRD. There are 5 major groups of antidepressants and over the years l tried at least top 3 from each category.

Start with the small dose, increase it after a week or two, wait 4-8 weeks to feel full effect, increase again to the maximum level and stay on it for a while. After realising that even the slight improvement is gone tapper it down slowly. Each process takes around 5-6 months. Now, multiply that with 15 or 20. That's 8-10 years of suffering.

I couldn't do it anymore and my Psychiatrist agreed with me. This small dose (10mg) of Endone is my last resort before (and if) they find something new. It's not a perfect solution but it's the only one that works for the last 7-8 months.

Of course that l am not cured but at least I can get out of bed in the morning and do some basic things. For the remaining 22 hours I am still depressed but that's nothing in comparison with the dark thoughts I had every morning when I opened my eyes. What's gonna happen if this stops working l really don't know as l don't have a plan B.