• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'ld like to hear from anyone who uses an opioid to fight depression.

In general you are absolutely right. But there's always exception that proves the rule.
It will work. For a while; until it doesn’t.

I get that some ppl stay on methadone or bupe forever….but are they fighting naked clinical depression or depression that’s just part of PAWS?

I don’t know, like you said there is room for nuance but in general this is a bad idea I would say.

It will work. For a while; until it doesn’t.

I get that some ppl stay on methadone or bupe forever….but are they fighting naked clinical depression or depression that’s just part of PAWS?

I don’t know, like you said there is room for nuance but in general this is a bad idea I would say.
I'm aware of that but just tell me what's the alternative?

I'm aware of that but just tell me what's the alternative?
I don’t know. Have you tried all the SSRIs and TCAs (outdated tricyclic antidepressants)?

I don’t have depression; but I’ve taken TCAs for pain and they seem like they are almost recreational to me. Like I feel really up beat and manic on them. No physical high though.

Then there’s atypical antidepressants like Wellbutrin that are pretty much a stimulant.

I don’t know. Have you tried all the SSRIs and TCAs (outdated tricyclic antidepressants)?

I don’t have depression; but I’ve taken TCAs for pain and they seem like they are almost recreational to me. Like I feel really up beat and manic on them. No physical high though.

Then there’s atypical antidepressants like Wellbutrin that are pretty much a stimulant.
I am still taking 150mg Amitriptyline for sleep (of the label). It doesn’t work for depression at all. As l said I tried at least top 3 antidepressants from every group without any success. Last year I didn't take any painkillers (chronic pain ) for 6 months. Result? Splitting headache 24/7 and clinical depression. I spent 90% of my time in bed. I really don't see any point in suffering?

I am still taking 150mg Amitriptyline for sleep (of the label). It doesn’t work for depression at all. As l said I tried at least top 3 antidepressants from every group without any success. Last year I didn't take any painkillers (chronic pain ) for 6 months. Result? Splitting headache 24/7 and clinical depression. I spent 90% of my time in bed. I really don't see any point in suffering?
Before I respond, side note. 150 mg of Amitriptyline? Wow that’s a lot although normal for depression for pain only 10 to 50 mg are given. But I have to ask you….does Amitriptyline wreck your stomache and GI tract? Bad cramps, diahrresa uet feeling constipated pain after eating; tons of indigestion and gas? The drug works well for my pain but after month of being on 40 mg it wrecks my GI function worse than the pain I’m even taking for. And it stays fucked for months after even stopping Ami.

Did u get the GI problems/effects? Do you know how to cointeract them so you can stay on the drug….bc it works for what I take it for )pain) but causes even worse problems that I always have to stop and get scared to it.

Sorry to hear that not sure what you meant by “I don’t see any point in suffering" but if you meant that taking opiates is all you can find that works at this point; I would say go for it. Only you know what works for you and suffering for no reason is wrong. But please continue to explore other avenues besides opioids imo.

Sorry if I missed this; but which opioids do you use? If you have addiction proclivities and something like bupe or methadone cuts if for you; if it were me I would stick with those. Because they aren’t recreational too much. If you’re like me don’t make the mistake to trust yourself with a bottle of dilaided if you get what I’m saying. I just know what I would end up doing,,, especially while suffering. Bupe and methadone aren’t that euphoric and very long lasting so I think the possibility for abuse and mor often resdosong can lead to problems.

Best of luck I hope you figure out a regimen that offers you some long term stability.