Ignoring drug advisors, the UK will ban khat

Stupid.

Remember David Nutt got sacked for telling the truth?

These politicians don't want to hear the facts, it's all about point scoring with the general public for the next election.

Oldred3s;11681340 said:
I remember reading a while a go that when mephedrone (m kat) came out many news reports were saying it was synthesis from khat so I reckon that's the real reason why it's banned

This makes sense to me. If the plant that contains the alkaloid necessary to produce cathinones is banned, the system is choked at the source. I wonder if sassafras is next. 8)

MoFo_S;11682393 said:
This is fucking hilarious. It's like saying "A lack of evidence may have caused the Jury to underestimate the likelihood the Defendant was guilty."

Amen. Reminds me of the MXE ban:

Prior to March 2012, MXE was not controlled by the UK's Misuse of Drugs Act.[12] In March 2012, the Home Office referred MXE to the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs for possible temporary controlling under the powers given in the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011.[13][14] The ACMD gave their advice on March 23, with the chair commenting that "the evidence shows that the use of methoxetamine can cause harm to users and the ACMD advises that it should be subject to a temporary class drug order."[15] In April 2012, methoxetamine was placed under temporary class drug control, which prohibits its import and sale for 12 months.[16]

On October 18th 2012 the ACMD released a report about MXE, saying that the "harms of methoxetamine are commensurate with Class B of the Misuse of Drugs Act (1971)", despite the fact that the act does not classify drugs based on harm.-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methoxetamine
Fail.

satya;11701914 said:
This makes sense to me. If the plant that contains the alkaloid necessary to produce cathinones is banned, the system is choked at the source. I wonder if sassafras is next. 8)

I know you're being sarcastic, but people do not use khat-extracted cathinone to synthesize mephedrone, for chemistry reasons.

MoFo_S said:
But the government said on Wednesday that it was concerned that a lack of evidence could have led the ACMD to underestimate the risk to communities posed by the drug.
This is fucking hilarious. It's like saying "A lack of evidence may have caused the Jury to underestimate the likelihood the Defendant was guilty."

Hilarious, MoFo_S! :)

Oh God, this is pathetic. This is going to do nothing: it will still come to the country, but now only criminals will be able to benefit from it. Banning something does not make it go away.

Even though I disagree, I could respect someone who wants to get rid of drugs and their influence. Noone has principles or opinions anymore, they just spout whatever crap their researchers tell them we want to hear.

How many families have been ruined by this drug? I've yet to even hear a single story about it. I guess I'll look it up...

Twice, too!

It's always good to see such well thought out, useful and informative posts from new members.

I take my hat off to you, nipplecummer17, just don't blow your load on my recently shaved head.

Not sure mate, have a think about it.

Posting one word replies is not going to help you get your post count up, they're just going to get deleted. If you want to raise your post count, contribute to the discussions. It's not that hard.

opi8;11720046 said:
Twice, too!

It's always good to see such well thought out, useful and informative posts from new members.

I take my hat off to you, nipplecummer17, just don't blow your load on my recently shaved head.

why