• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

If you accept a partial script of your medication do you forfeit the rest?

You WILL forfeit it, basically they'll pocket it. They did it to half my script without telling me.

in my state pharmacies will not make you forfiet and part of ya script simply cause they didnt have them in stock. state laws may vary but i can say for a fact they dont here

^Well you can say for a fact that in your case they didn't make you forfeit the rest of the prescription, but that doesn't mean that the law is any different, just that the pharmacy that you went to did not properly enforce this regulation. Also were they able to fill the rest within 72 hours, because we established that they can give you a partial script for a controlled substance, but only if they can guarantee the rest of them within 72 hours of filling the initial amount.

^^ like tommy n the other NY'er said it might be a state by state thing

but im with you, if the Dr. says i need 120 then to hell with your inventory im gettin 120 one way or another

Looking at it again I think it's Federal, so all states must abide by this regulation.

Code of Federal Regulations
Section 1306.13 Partial filling of prescriptions.

(a) The partial filling of a prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule II is permissible if the pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity called for in a written or emergency oral prescription and he makes a notation of the quantity supplied on the face of the written prescription, written record of the emergency oral prescription, or in the electronic prescription record. The remaining portion of the prescription may be filled within 72 hours of the first partial filling; however, if the remaining portion is not or cannot be filled within the 72-hour period, the pharmacist shall notify the prescribing individual practitioner. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription (source).

I think that's why the same thing was stated for NY and California in my previous quotes. Although some of our experiences may vary, that may be due to a particular pharmacy "looking the other way" when it comes to this regulation, so that they get the persons business. And in other cases they chose not to take the chance with this so told the customer that they couldn't fill the partial amount, but that may have been because they couldn't guarantee the rest within the next 72 hours.

The only part that I seemed to be wrong about was that it can be noted in the electronic record, whereas I thought that it couldn't be listed there and could only be written down manually which could cause confusion.

Last edited:
Unless I knew the pharmacist really well I would not trust them to give me the remainder of the script. I would make the
call another pharmacy that could fill my shit in it's entirety.