• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ice: Where to from here?

QuestionQuibbler

Greenlighter
My buddy (30ish years old) never had any plans to do meth in his life. He's always been a heavy pot smoker but that seemed to fulfill him more than enough. The way he tells it, he was at a party in early February and someone just randomly passed a pipe to him and he thought "why not?" He had a great time from what he remembers, and just sort of went on with life for about a month before the opportunity presented itself again and he jumped at the chance.

Since then he started writing down what days he ended up using, thinking having a tangible record would help him be objective and not go overboard, I guess, but things escalated pretty rapidly.

Here's a rough outline of his use, but I don't know all his shorthand, so it could be a bit off.

February:
Smoked once, 25 day break.

March:
3 days in a row, 1 day rest.
Smoked once, 9 day break.
2 days in a row, 3 day break.
4 days in a row, 3 day break.
6 days in a row.

April:
2 day rest.
One day smoking, 5 day rest.
4 days in a row, 1 day rest.
2 days in a row, 1 day rest.
One day smoking, 4 day rest.
2 days in a row, 2 day rest.
1 1/2(?) days smoking, 5 days rest.

May:
Smoking one day, 2 days rest.
3 days in a row, 1 day rest.
Smoking one day, 3 days rest.
2 days in a row, 4 days rest.
Smoking one day, 6 days rest.

June:
Smoking one day, 4 days rest.
Smoking one day, 2 days rest.
3 days in a row, 3 days rest.
10 days in a row(!! I hope I'm misinterpreting this!), 1 day rest.
One day smoking, 2 days rest.

July:
2 1/2 days smoking, 3 days rest.
One day smoking, one day rest.
3 1/2 days smoking, 3 days rest.
Smoking one day, half day rest.
1 1/2 day smoking, 1 1/2 day rest.
Half day smoking, 3 day rest.
1/2 day smoking, 1 day rest.
1 1/2 day smoking, 1/2 day rest.
1/2 day smoking...and that's just about to the present.

He's not even getting the "high" anymore, he's just chasing it. This is weird to say and was weird to hear, but he specifically uses for the "sexual high" with other guys, or just marathon masturbation sessions, but he no longer feels it in his "prostate" and (though I didn't look at any of this first hand :p) he describes his whole... "downstairs butt situation" as having, like, shrunk? Like he has "less" taint and his anus has sort of retreated up into him and nothing seems as sensitive to stimulation at all. He understands going over this with me that at this point he's basically using 50% of the time and that's not something he can keep up.

He gets these "twinges" now in his center chest when he's "up," but they're always super quick and then gone for a while so I don't think he's taking them seriously. Also his left arm hurts sometimes, but his elbows been bugging him for a while so I think he assumes it's just that. Last, sometimes he gets this "numb tingling" in his spine/left shoulder blade, but that might be muscular issues tying into the next part?

He's about the same weight he's always been, but at the same time he seems like he's lost a bunch of..."meat."

His upper chest is all, like, kinda empty feeling. When I asked to rub it to understand what he was describing it feels like I'm directly feeling his rib cage and vascular system, but he says there's no discomfort there. It barely even feels like he has a sternum anymore.

Oh, he says his knee caps are "smaller" now, and "weird shaped." His left elbow seems super bony, but I guess I mentioned that. Also, it seems like he's mostly deteriorating on the left side of his body. His right arm and leg are comparably healthy and never give him trouble.

He's really good about staying hydrated, but I think not as much about remembering to eat, which is sad because cooking used to be one of his favorite things.

He's gone through his stash and doesn't have the money or means to re-up, which is a good thing, really. I've had him promise not to try to use in any way until he goes to a doctors appointment that's scheduled for early next week.

I desperately hope he hasn't done himself any irreversible damage or had a "silent heart attack" or anything, but I also worry that he'll not disclose his using and/or will take getting told he's fine as a sogn he can go right back to using "heavily." (He says he goes through about a gram and a half a month, is that "heavy use?")

If I can't get him to drop it outright, I want to at least come at him with facts and a plan to keep his use low by appealing to his sense of frustration over tolerance.

What's the recommendation from any seasoned users? From what I've read, he'll never ever get back to the highs of the first few times, especially with how much he's been using, but what's the "average" amount of downtime between uses to reset tolerance as much as possible and give the body time to adequately replenish and recover?

I've heard people say 10 days, but I assume that's for a lighter user. Would having him commit to only every other weekend be feasible, or is once a month a better goal for his situation? (Assuming he won't just totally quit, of course.)

I'm thinking about getting him one of those time-lock safes for his birthday and setting it to only open every other Friday night, or something, and I'd be the only one who had the override code/key/whatever. I know if he really wanted to he could probably just go buy more to hide, but there's only so much I can do...

I just want to keep one of my best buddies healthy, and I know he's super disappointed in the person he feels he's becoming, too.

Damn, it's obvious you care a lot about him. I've never done meth but I have done a mountain of cocaine and when I was using it I didn't much care about health or consequences. I went on with it for years. Boy did I think I was cool. It started with just friends and quickly escalated to daily and nightly use. I knew I was seriously hooked when I started using at work.

From what you wrote it sounds like he doesn't eat. He's malnourished. As far as the other medical issues you listed they sound mostly like anxiety but you are right to have him checked out.

This next part of MY experience will not appeal to you but it's the facts. I contribute my quitting cocaine to two different things. First, I stopped hanging out with the people that I did the cocaine with most often. You should know, that was not my decision and took me several years to finally give up on hanging out with them.

Second. And prolly even worse. I got addicted to pain medication. I started out taking 3 10mg hydros a day. I can remember a time when I was worried about my breathing being fucked up when I took 50mg of hydrocodone over a 12ish hour period. Now my daily dose is 130mg+ of oxycodone. My story is not his though. I have been addicted to one thing or another since my early teens.

It's awesome that you want to help but please don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go well. Meth is a powerful drug.

all of our bodies replenish neurotransmitters at different rates so pinning down a definite answer is tricky. I was an IV meth user and a general rule of thumb I'd use is: 3 days for every day I used. So if I did a 100-250mg shot on Thursday night at say sundown, I'd be high until sunrise Friday, go to work stimulated but no euphoric, maybe sleep Friday night, definitely sleep Saturday, and sleep well into Sunday (depressed Saturday and Sunday) and kinda feel ok but not great Monday to go to work again. The issue really comes down to redosing, not really how many days on/off. It's the redosing that pushes off the inevitability of sleeping.

So would something like talking to him about only doing it every other weekend and also doing it in one go with no binging/re-dosing sound reasonable?

So would something like talking to him about only doing it every other weekend and also doing it in one go with no binging/re-dosing sound reasonable?
It sounds completely reasonable. Any positive change is good. Keep in mind I've met scores of meth users, but have only met one person who was able to smoke two hits and throw the rest in a drawer and not touch it for weeks, and he had ADHD... so amphetamines tend to chill him out. As for me, I'll use meth compulsively until I'm completely out, despite my best intentions to keep it under control. The only way I can control it is to not use it. Good luck with your friend