• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I want to stop but the WDs are killing me

Llamastee

Greenlighter
Hey all. I have been using for a little over a year now. Mostly dihydrocodeine(dhc), but also sometimes morphine, oxy, tramadol and codeine. My daily dosages weere about 600-1200mg of dhc, 300-350mg of tramadol and sometimes taking about 120mg of controlled release morphine and sometime 20-40mg of oxy on top of a little lower dosage of DHC. Sometimes I also use 300-1200mg of CWEd codeine made from 500mg paracetamol/30mg codeine tablets mixed with tramadol dhc and whatever.

Everything I get is from a pharmacy and OTC. So I dont really have a doctor or get scripts but every medicine the pharmacies have they also sell.

I have had a few 4-10 day breaks and one 3 week break during the year of using. I also often take about 2 day breaks to try and lower my tolerance.

Now Im on my I dont even know what number try to quit CT since tapering just does not work. Im at about 72 hours in and just took 30mg of codeine just to feel a little better since I feel absolutely powerless and horrible. I also have alot of diazepam, clonidine and zolpidem for WD symptoms and for sleeping.

I guess my question is how much I have set myself back with the 30mg codeine dose? Also a final question is since for the last month or so I have mainly used DHC and its 60mg tablets and they are controlled release(CR). Will CR have an effect on the length of the withdrawals?

Sorry if Im rambling and my text is a little incoherent. Im not a native english speaker and Im having a hard time doing anything in my current condition.

I would also like to add that I dont have a support network really. The only persons who know about my addiction is a friend who lives 12 hour flight away and my brother who knows about my addiction but thinks I have quit and I dont have the guts to tell him I failed with the attempt. He lives very near (in the same building) but I just dont want to admit this to him.

Last edited:
unfortunately the codeine will set you back in your withdrawal. it was a small dose but still a dose nonetheless. you have to stay off opiates well until after all physical symptoms have been gone. its very common for someone to use on say the 7th or 8th day because they feel their withdrawal begin to subside, and immediately get sick upon waking up the next day. You will definitely get a lot out of the diazepam clonidine and zolpidem, stick to those! . with just a small dose of codeine like that you might not be brought all the way back to "Square 1" of withdrawals but seeing as its still just 72 hours in, it definitely is a bump in the road. nothing to fear though, you got this !

hopefully you get the support you're looking for on here.

Thank you for your answer. Yeah I know it was stupid of me. The addict in me was just crying for a small relief and as we always have codeine in our house because my girlfriend uses them for headaches etc.

She just comes from a culture where addiction is just not known and to her medicine is medicine and I cant get her to understand what Im going through because of a language and a culture barrier. I guess its impossible to actually get someone to understand who hasnt dealt with addiction anyways.

I definitely set my withdrawals back a little bit because I dont feel quite as horrible as I did before. Hoping I didnt add alot of time to the withdrawals so I can get back on my feet in a few days and hopefully this time for good.

One hour at a time at this point and later on one day at a time. Clonidine makes me really sleepy so I can sleep 12 hours a day so that helps so much. Agh rambling again but thanks for the information and I will try to keep people posted. Just need a place to talk about this and talk to peopeople who actually understand what opiate addiction is.

Sounds like you have most of the meds to help you through withdrawal, but if you could add gabapentin or pregablin to your mix you would feel many times better. Just hold on tight....you WILL make it through this and be better for it. Because next time you decide to take oxy or something like that your mind will go back to how bad you feel right now and ask you if it's worth it.

Take care of yourself as best as you can, do not let yourself get dehydrated because you'll feel much worse, and eat some real food, not just junk food or whatever you can grab out of the cabinet. Treat yourself well, and pretend you have the flu because it's the same symptoms. You'd be surprised how things like that can help. You will be through the worst of it soon and every day will be better than the one before. Make sure to take the clonodine, it's a great comfort med. If the dose you have makes you too tired then half it.

Surely 30mg of Codeine will not have set you back too much given the huge amount of opiates you have been taking? Don't be so hard on yourself when you fail just learn from it and move on.

You seem to have all the comfort meds that you need like diazepam and Clonidine so that's good, what exactly is it that is making you take the opiate during withdrawl? What specific part of the withdraw is the hardest? Is it a physical symptom or a mental symptom?

Wow brother your working with some pretty high does there and combinations with what your using CAN be fatal, please be carful, considering its over max dose here in the UK what your using. I take tramadol, codeine and diazepam but not altogether... Well, at least not all the time lol others you are using such as oxycodone arent really available unless in extreme circumstances in the UK. Anyway I just wanted to ask where it is your from considering what reading your post.

Do you buy your drugs illicitly ? As im sure dihyrdocodeine, morphine, oxycodone and tramadol are not available OTC/in a chemist WITHOUT a prescription.

Surely 30mg of Codeine will not have set you back too much given the huge amount of opiates you have been taking? Don't be so hard on yourself when you fail just learn from it and move on.

You seem to have all the comfort meds that you need like diazepam and Clonidine so that's good, what exactly is it that is making you take the opiate during withdrawl? What specific part of the withdraw is the hardest? Is it a physical symptom or a mental symptom?

Could you possibly comment on my most recent post ?

Where in the hell sells these medications over the counter as OP says he gets everything from a chemist and doesnt have a doctor.

Where in the hell sells these medications over the counter as OP says he gets everything from a chemist and doesnt have a doctor.

I was wondering that, too. I mean I can get DHC and standard codeine but never seen morphine or oxy anywhere

I highly doubt one dose of 30 mgs codeine would set you back, you are used to 20-30 times that dose daily. If I was able to cut my opiate use by 20 times in the amount I was using I?d be so happy and if I could also wait 72 hours before doing so I?d Be extremely happy.

Be very proud of yourself. If you could take 30 mgs codeine everyday after being used to 20-40 times that dose that would already be a big step up in tapering and withdrawal progress.
The fact that you waited 72 cold turkey before is an even bigger testament to your will.

Don?t panic and keep going man. I?d rather take a micro micro dose and feel some relief so that I can recover some what, eat, sleep a few hours, and get the will to return to withdrawals rather than suffer and panic end up taking a massive dose and having to restart completely

...how in the holy hell can you get Morphine, Oxy, and even Tramadol OTC???

Man...I'm sure I'd be dead 50 times over if I could do that here. The only legal OTC med here is Tylenol 1, which only contains 8 mg codeine per pill and is offset by a large amount of caffeine (preventing any quality form of cold water extraction).