• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

I want to be a Crime Scene Investigator.

Don't choose a higher education institute based on the strength of one program. Pick it based on how that school works for you. Do you like the student life, the class sizes, the academic load, the level of interaction with your teachers, the campus, the location? Most schools have very similar academics, pick which school you go to based on whether you like the school and you think you will enjoy yourself there, not on a specific program, because you may change your major later on.

John Jay School of Criminal Justice AFTER you get a degree in a forensically related hard science (Bio, Genetics, Chem, Neuropsych) and after a year or two of police work

Also, why do you want to hunt us down---if you think you'll have the choice to work on only murders/rapes/violent crimes in a lab and not spend most of your time on drug crimes you're kidding yourself

You aren;t your own boss

hashish2020 said:
John Jay School of Criminal Justice AFTER you get a degree in a forensically related hard science (Bio, Genetics, Chem, Neuropsych) and after a year or two of police work

Also, why do you want to hunt us down---if you think you'll have the choice to work on only murders/rapes/violent crimes in a lab and not spend most of your time on drug crimes you're kidding yourself

You aren;t your own boss
Well all I want to do is find the people that think thay can get away with murder.

ghtto_cwby said:
Well all I want to do is find the people that think thay can get away with murder.
Its easy to find people like that. They are rich and powerful and often have titles like President, General...

ghtto_cwby said:

seriously you have to be more specific, a crime scene investigator you can join the police force and become a det. to do that. now get into forensics than thats diff. all sorts of possible routes. best suggestion would be to start studying chem at a college then join diff club and groups and interview real people with diff forensic jobs and see what interests you most. ie dna, chem, physics, biology, or even dentistry and medical. apply yourself and if you work hard enough you will obatin you goal.

I am going to tell you right now that if you think being a crime scene investigator is anything like what you see on television, you might want to research it a lot more. But the best thing for you to do is talk to a police department and ask them what route they would recommend you taking.

I thought forensics was cool... till I took an elective unit within my biochemistry degree.

We did have mock crime scenes though, a whole property devoted to the forensics student... empty house with evidence around.

I think this is a pretty complicated major.

I'm almost certain you will need courses in Biological Anthropology and Archaeology (yes, believe it or not), as well as courses from biochem and combinatorial mathematics. This is all beside the police training.

are you saying this based on watching CSI... ;)

LMAO no, I actually don't watch that show.

I am saying it based on my very ambiguous (in this regard) university calendar, lol. I know that people doing big criminology majors need to take a biological anthro/archeology course as part of their thing...

I was saying it to the original poster, not you :) Kidding anyways hehe

Chronik Fatigue said:
I want to be a drug sniffer dog

I want to be a sketched-out coke smuggler who swings at drug dogs with iron bars.

dreamgirlie19 said:
are you saying this based on watching CSI... ;)

No, ever since I can remember I've been fascinated with things like forensics. So thats why I want to be a Crime Scene Investigator.

This sounds like a good plan. What you should do is obtain the necessary credentials, and then use your position to falsify evidence implicating others in crimes.

ebola

ghtto_cwby said:
No, ever since I can remember I've been fascinated with things like forensics. So thats why I want to be a Crime Scene Investigator.

Go for it. Since CSI came around, quite a lot of people (Who can't quite think things through properly) have signed up for forensic related majors. With those idiots running around, we'll need all the serious crime scene investigators we can get.

University of toronto here in Canada has a very competitive forensic psychology program that really spiked in popularity in the last few years. the program is located at a suburban campus outisde of toronto, however; so you'd miss out on being at the downtown Toronto campus in the heart of the city.

^ I would have probably be there now in that program, but I found out I sucked at chemistry...=D