• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

I think there is meaning to Life

thesoundofmotion

Bluelighter
A lot of people claim that there is no inherent meaning to the Universe or to Life or whatever you want to call it but I think there is.

The main reasoning behind this is that it appears that all animals seem to desire the same thing. We all want to feel good. We all want to feel loved. We all are doing what can in order to survive.

Even if there isn't an exact meaning behind it all, I think there is some purpose here.

Why isn't valid? What makes something valid?

It seems we all have the same biological needs and we all are longing for the same feelings. I don't think anybody deep down actually enjoys feeling bad. I also think deep down people recognize when they are doing the right or wrong thing even if they don't realize it.

i dont think there is a meaning. does there have to be meaning? does it have to have a purpose? somethings just are. everything is one

"feeling good" evolved as part of the brain's reward system to encourage behaviors that promote good health, prolong life, and allow us to procreate often. It's a simple survival instinct. IMHO, that's far from a universal meaning to life. It's simply trying to not die. I don't consider living itself to be the purpose of life. It's just a part of life, like death is part of life. I don't consider death to be the purpose of life either. That would be a pointless meaning of life. I don't believe there is a "purpose", because that implies forethought by some supernatural force that created us. I believe life simply emerged from the right mix of chemical reactions under the right conditions following the laws of physics. Now, when we think deeply about our own existence, it is indeed miraculous. But it is not supernatural.

the fact that we came into existence by chance because of the way chemicals interact and this funny dna molecule that happens to self replicate is completely and utterly amazing.

I wouldn't argue against that.

Maybe my original post isn't properly conveying what I really want to say.

The whole universe unfolding is sort of the purpose in itself. I just can't explain it.

To be born is for the universe to flip inside-out and begin to dream...

I don't believe there is a "purpose", because that implies forethought by some supernatural force that created us.

Read about Terrance McKenna's Time Wave Zero theory and say that again. Everything is too perfect to be coincidence.

Read about Terrance McKenna's Time Wave Zero theory and say that again. Everything is too perfect to be coincidence.
Everything is presently co-inciding co-arising of phenomena. The assumption of time (that's never actually there) is what obfuscates the picture. Thought can't see beyond its own 'perfection, as is' and projects this perfection as a "picture of what's out there" -- while remaining the subject (awareness).

In other words, "everything" (thingness, things) is merely thought's own system of categorization/comparison.

what about his theory makes you so sure hes correct? and what do you mean everything is soo perfect?

The whole universe unfolding is sort of the purpose in itself. I just can't explain it.

I like to think about it this way. Everything is exactly the way it is supposed to be and everything happens exactly as it is supposed to happen.

That doesn't mean it is planned or predetermined. It just means that the universe follows the laws of physics. There is cause and effect.

My decisions directly affect my circumstances. And of course there are lots of events outside of my control that have an affect on me. But I can make decisions based on the circumstances of the moment.

I don't feel like a helpless victim and I acknowledge that there are a great many things I have no control over. So I focus on that which I can control.

In the end, everything happens the way it was supposed to happen. It's not because of some supernatural force guiding us towards some end purpose. It's just the natural passing of events. :)

The closest I got to the meaning of life was some sort of grand idea of peace, unity and progress, if humanity as a whole would work perfectly on some level, well life would be one enormous joyride for each and every individual, a state of perpetual happiness for every human.

I guess the meaning is for humanity to achieve perfection so that we can forever be happy. I guess the 'hive mind' or the collective unconscious, societal constructs, whatever you call them, does slowly converge towards that, however my feeling is, that this convergence could be made much faster, if people would stop every day in their lives, and just think about what they're doing and where this is heading.

Hey, you can view your purpose as achieving personal happiness (Drugs are a fine choice here), or try to do something toward the collective happiness.

*shrugs* It was a weird night.

In the end, everything happens the way it was supposed to happen. It's not because of some supernatural force guiding us towards some end purpose. It's just the natural passing of events. :)
Including (the movement of) thought itself as an aspect of (the movement/flow of) events tends to simplify and clarify the picture greatly, IME.

i dont think there is a meaning. does there have to be meaning? does it have to have a purpose? somethings just are. everything is one

Yes some things just ARE, but something as signifigant as LIFE...there must be a reason, some reason that earth is the only planet capeable of sustaining human life and id like to know what that is but i probably wont till i die. but its all gucci ill juist enjoy the ride;)