• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

I think acid messed me up, will I ever get better?

jackhunter24

Greenlighter
So almost two months ago I did acid for the first time. I had previously done shrooms twice, and had a great time both times, so I thought I was ready. However, doing acid ended up being maybe the worst experience of my life. I won't go into detail, but the whole experience was awful.

So ever since this awful experience, I just have not felt myself. I have had this feeling, its a combination of anxiety, depression, and just this overall weird feeling in my head. I have dealt with anxiety and depression previously in my life, but never as bad as this. The weird feeling is hard to describe. Its almost like everything in my brain is just off, I don't know how else to describe it. I also have been dealing with brain fog. This feeling comes and goes. Some days it is really bad, some days I feel fine. Some days I feel awful at the beginning of the day, but am fine later in the day. There have been two times I have felt fine for a period of a few days, and thought that I was better, only to have the feeling come back.

I have told my parents that I have not been feeling right, but not that it started after doing acid. They are the type of parents that don't even like me smoking a little weed, I feel like them finding out I did acid would just make things a lot worse. My mom thinks I need to be on a higher dose of medicine (I take prozac for anxiety) or that I should go back to being on paxil, which I was on in the past. Would this help?

I have an appointment with the counseling center at my college on wednesday. I have heard they are helpful. I am tired of keeping this all to myself. I plan on telling the counselor the whole story. It is 100% confidential, and if they are not helpful, I can just not go back.

Basically I am just really scared and confused right now. I am scared because I don't know if I will ever get better. I was never the happiest person in the world, but I am realizing now how great my life was before all this happened. I would give anything to go back to that time.

If anybody can help at all, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm curious to know if you felt certain it was LSD? Was it bitter or numbing? I hate to just out and say it wasn't LSD and thus not LSD's fault, I just know a person or two who claim they've had permanent issues from NBOMe's. I also highly mistrust prozac, LSD is a MORE researched and understood drug than god damned prozac. So you may have a combination of issues at hand:

1) coulda been a dangerous RC
2) could be the prozac fucking with your brains ability to process things
3) could be a latent anxiety/depression issue. I find LSD to help me with depression and anxiety for a month or two after, but my regular life is full of anxiety which I do not link to drug use. Sometimes people just have trouble coming to the conclusion that life has a purpose or is worthwhile, I know I certainly had a tough time, well before any drug use even

BUT, I do think you'll get better, given enough time. I'd personally get off SSRI's, avoid psychs for a while, try to find out if you really had LSD, and just try to start living a healthy lifestyle. I find I feel much better about myself when I don't let myself atrophy, and I spend more time with friends.

Jason should have fun with this...

Sorry to hear about your shitty time, Jack. How long have you been on Prozac? Did you change doses within the past 4 months? As a side note, you should tell your mom that SSRIs are not "medicine." You are being medicated, but those pills are not "medicine."

Besides that, 240sx had some good advice.

Just curious, why does everybody on this site hate SSRI's so much? Before this, I feel like prozac really helped me and my anxiety. And yes, I was in the process of going off the prozac when I did acid.

It's just the prevailing Western thinking that doctors = good, caring people that have their patient's best interest in mind, and if something comes from a doctor, that automatically makes it good, and worthy of the name "medicine," (which has certain connotations). The reality (IME) is that doctors get kickbacks, they think they know everything, and their solution is to throw pills at everything and everybody. If you go into the doctor for something, you could end up being prescribed with a dozen pills, one for the symptom, and 11 others to manage the SEs of the other drugs. And it could very well be that the only thing that person needed in the first place was to get out and exercise and eat better.

And personally, I've been on that merry-go-round of psychiatrists, SSRIs, other pills, and I've found it to be all bullshit. Wellbutrin helped a bunch for me, but what got me out of depression and anxiety was a radical new approach to life, starting with "Maybe the world doesn't know as much as it thinks it does."

YMMV

/End Rant.

Psychiatrists prescribe SSRI's despite:

1) the fact that they know very little about their actions and the majority of anti-depressant effects are attributed to placebo (and I've been on prozac myself years back)
2) not knowing their patients for more than an hour when they up and decide they should throw harsh substances at your brain which inhibit its ability to process serotonin

I'm also convinced past treatment with prozac, without them telling me about dangerous drug interactions, has placed my life in SERIOUS danger. I could have accidentally died had I taken a bunch of say, DXM or something like that. There is no harm reduction in psychiatry. Only harm.

I don't think SSRIs are bad for everyone, I know people who they worked for and then they got off them, which is how they're supposed to be used. But I also know of too many cases where someone went in saying they feel depressed and they get slapped with SSRIs like it's nothing. They're very powerful and little-understood drugs and we don't know the long-term ramifications yet because they haven't existed for a very long time yet. If you have severe, treatment-resistant depression and have tried the normal ways to relieve depression, then maybe they'd be good to try. But a lot of the time people are depressed because of life factors, ie, being unhealthy, being in a bad situation, being traumatized (which requires therapy and work, not drugs to mask it), etc. I was crushingly depressed by the end of my marriage, but what I needed was to realize it was bad for me and move on in my life, not medication.

By the way I'm not saying this is you, I don't know your situation, but I'm describing why it is that so many people here are wary of SSRIs.

SSRIs are known to dull the effect of certain psychoactive drugs, including LSD (although not nearly as much as certain other drugs, such as anti-psychotics). So I wouldn't necessarily think that's the cause...but I don't know. As far as to whether it's LSD or not, I remember people posting on here that people had bad or traumatizing trips after being dosed with pure LSD back when Sandoz was still researching it, it's a strong drug with an experience that some people just don't find enjoyable. It's an obvious point but I do see the phenomenon (not in this thread really, just in general among people who enjoy psychedelics) of people saying "oh, I had a bad experience on what I thought was LSD, so because of that fact alone what I had probably wasn't LSD, because LSD is magic" (or something along those lines lol)

I'd just recommend taking some basic life changes (some of which have been suggested by previous posters), you will get better after a while. Trust me, I've experienced lingering negative effects from a strong run of psychedelics as well...they're never permanent IME

Last edited:
It always amazes me how radically against SSRIs people on message boards are. Just like acid may be awesome for someone an SSRI can be awesome for someone else. Just because they may no be fully understood doesn't mean they are not very helpful medications for some people.

Sure they are over prescribed but that is a completely different argument. Sorry about the derail!

... "Maybe the world doesn't know as much as it thinks it does."

YMMV

/End Rant.

that's a great quote. gonna save that to my list of quotes, congratulations. lol =p,

Anyway...

From a very reliable source, who I would trust with my life, no joke, to never EVER take paxil, she said it was the worst thing ever to come off of.

I have been in a similar situation, a word of warning is be cautious of quick fixes. I nearly lost myself to benzos, alcohol and opiates as a result.

Exercise, meditation, eat well, sleep well. Give your mind the chance and as many tools as possible to heal itself/adapt.

Believe within yourself that you will fix it.

I can relate somewhat being in the scene for years and doing my fair share of psychedelics through the years, things will get better, something will click and u will think "huh i was really stuck at that time"

I have seen psychedelics mess with people, i have had trips that left me in that black "void" as so to speak, its good u have picked up on these changes because thats the first step to overcoming them..

As spinx says do all the above, if u dnt meditate find something to keep routine (gym?, walk with a pet) anything, stop all substances, if you feel really bad then maybe give ssri's a go again, hope you look back on this as a learning curve rather than a negative experince , all the best, regards b_h <3

LSD is a very touchy psychedelic when given to the wrong mind, I feel like it messed with me a bit too. I think bad trips can actually cause serious PTSD due to the intensity of the experience. Look for a spiritually inclined therapist and tell them everything. Meds are a last reserve because they will mess you up too. Sorry to hear about this man, hope you can work through it. Time heals wounds as well as good friends and support. I wouldn't touch any psychedelics until you feel yourself again and probably lay of the lsd. You are probably experiencing defense mechanisms at work, shutting you down from the outside world. its a very subconscious issue. Good vibes sent your way!

Why would people rag on the OP for the prozac? I guess because people like to criticize the medical system that provides medications to people with health problems. Or maybe to eliminate the possibility that acid had a negative effect on someone, and to blame it on the one other chemical mentioned in the posting? The OP is on that medication for a reason, if it made the OP feel like shit then they probably would stop taking it so I imagine it is or was doing something positive for them.

I've never taken an SSRI but if you think the acid is what caused this then I would trust your gut feeling. Acid is a far more powerful drug than any antidepressant medication and it can really fuck your head up. It is an extremely intense drug and nothing like shrooms whatsoever in my experience. For advice... I don't know what to say... I'm a lost soul myself. But just remember that things can always get worse. Just never take acid again right? Don't be scared about getting better. Try and forget that you even took acid a few months ago.

"Spiritually inclined therapist?" Lol... the advice you get from some people. What the fuck is that exactly, a yoga instructor? "Given to the wrong mind?" Haha. That makes this dangerous drug that gets you high as fuck sound like the body of Christ; you a part of an acid cult there bud? You think this guy is like Charles Manson or something? Why do people assume that every psychedelic experience has a spiritual nature to it? It's drugs like any other drugs. I guess the OP is just dealing with a 'spiritual crisis' or something, right, and just wasn't ready for the amazing secrets of the infinite universe that must have been revealed to them just like with every acid trip? Ever consider the very real possibility that the black market can pass off extremely poor quality drugs as 'acid'? Or that the OP's genetics, chemical makeup made them process lsd differently in a way that made it useless poison?

It sounds like the acid just made the OP feel like shit and didn't agree with their body. Take it one day at a time, eat healthy and exercise if you don't already, and get help from the medical system down the road if it becomes too much to bear. Above all else, never again in your life should you consume lsd, and there's nothing wrong with that. You're not missing out on jack shit, remember that. Just wait until you die ; )

It's hilarious that nobody here mentioned the possibility that it just could have been a plain old, textbook bad reaction to LSD-25.

Last edited:
I did kinda mention that point, when I referenced Sandoz's work in the early years of LSD (people being administered LSD-25 in a medical setting and having "bad trips".)

I don't think that LSD is a dangerous drug, in fact I feel that it's one of the safest drugs compared to many of its peers. I will agree that it "gets you high as fuck" though

Sure acid is powerful, but the effects of SSRI's are felt long after discontinuation.

What you're describing sounds exactly like anxiety and depression with a dash of hypochondria. If the acid did anything it was probably psychological in nature. Maybe you need your meds readjusted and more therapy.

Or maybe, those 2 substance together caused the problem. Prozac and LSD are powerful chemicals on it's own, imagine if used simultaneously...

How this turned into an SSRI debate I have no idea, but I can say OP that if you just lay off the drugs for now you will get better. In high school I abused psychedelics (mainly acid) way too much and could barely even speak coherently. But after some time off of it I regained my brain back for lack of a better terms and was fine as far as that. Looking back I wish I had had more respect for psychedelics, but live and learn I guess? Either way I'm betting if you just give yourself some time off of it your cognitive abilities will come back. Just be patient because in my case it took a little while.