• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I ran a mile last Monday

Omfgitsher

Greenlighter
Not including the figurative version of running, like a lot of us do from our problems, it was the first time I had done it in over 7 years. I'm two months off of the cigarettes, still struggling with my other addictions, but I put on my dirty work shoes and ran. I didn't time how long it took me, but I'm sure it was miserable. But it was a mile and by golly I did it. Then I did it two more times on Thursday and Saturday morning. I'll do it again tomorrow. I've been told over and over again that exercise would aid me in recovery, particularly as a former athlete but I never did it until now. It was freaking exhilarating. Horribly exhausting, but it felt so good. I liken it to the idea of recovery in general. The hardest part is just making yourself do it, to start small. To be okay with suffering for a while so that you can feel accomplished later.

yo that’s fucking awesome. congrats on getting out there. running is the best. so many physical and mental benefits.

Can't beat a good runners high you get a better one if you pace yourself and just jog slowly when I was 16 I used to jog every morning and done 50 press ups when i got back for a month my body transformed people were giving me compliments on my new 4 pack ive never felt as good as I did then man I gotta get back into that all I do now are leg clocks, only so I get that nice leg feeling and also cures restless leg syndrome for me.

yo that’s fucking awesome. congrats on getting out there. running is the best. so many physical and mental benefits.
Thanks! I really missed the feeling of getting in a good run outdoors. I've wasted so much time on drugs these last few years.

Can't beat a good runners high you get a better one if you pace yourself and just jog slowly when I was 16 I used to jog every morning and done 50 press ups when i got back for a month my body transformed people were giving me compliments on my new 4 pack ive never felt as good as I did then man I gotta get back into that all I do now are leg clocks, only so I get that nice leg feeling and also cures restless leg syndrome for me.
Yes exercising is totally great for the withdrawal!

The last time I ran that far was when the ice cream truck was getting away :)

Cool, keep it up. I started biking since getting off the booze. Exercise definitely helps the mental health and physical obviously.

you still running, Omfgitsher?

i've worked rowing back into my regime after a break due to surgery and a fucked shoulder. got gnarly blisters. proud of them. will have my calluses back soon.