• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos I need help discussing the side effects of all (or the popular ones) benzodiazepines!

Well yeah, I've been prescribed percocets so many times that I can't count the number. But the OxyContin formulation was *slightly* less euphoric and better suited to therapeutic use. The time release is effective enough that if you aren't trying to get high, the formulation at the right dose should be a little less addictive.
Personally I'm a compulsive poly drug user- but if we are talking about therapeutic value only the smallest dose-with the longest and most mild duration of action would be best. The OP isn't trying to get high so the XR shouldn't be a problem if they have a tiny bit of IR alprazolam handy for major panic attacks.

I dunno, I just fail to see how OxyContin is any less euphoric, less addictive, or more therapeutic than Percocet, or how is having opioids in your system consistently around the clock less addictive.

Well for someone that is in pain at all waking moments it's nice to have the around the clock relief.
As an addict I am compelled to break the release though so it IS just as addictive. But with benzo therapy, it should be very short term, with cognitive therapy and counseling being the primary means of relief. So taking the XR at the same dose as one normal dose of alprazolam should be moderately less addicting, if only taken for a short period of time. You just never get enough of the drug to get spun but still have some relief.

I don't get spun from taking my instant release alprazolam, but I've been using benzodiazepine therapy for many years.

^ we are most likely talking about a subject that doesn't have years under their belt like you though. Alprazolam will get me intoxicated but I have to take around 8 mg. We should assume that the patient will only take benzos for a few weeks until therapy can be started. I know I wish I would have never taken benzos for longer than 2-3 weeks.

I dunno, even when I was not so tolerant, I never got "spun" from xanax with the IR version, but sure Xanax XR might work for some people but it's ridiculously expensive so a lot of people can't get it RX'd.

Thats why I asked if they had the means, financial or insurance coverage, to get it. If we are talking about panic benzos should be secondary. I'm a firm believer that benzo therapy will only exacerbate the underlying problem. SSRI's or tricyclics may be more effective in the long run.

Benzodiazepines certainly can mask underlying problems when it's used as the only treatment for the conditions rather than exploring non-medication options in conjunction with benzodiazepines.

The op could try using lamotrigine. I never noticed any immediate effects but I did have a reduction of panic attacks and anxiety after about a month titration period. I take 300 mgs a day, it might work for the OP in high doses like mine. Stay away from anti-psychotics at all costs though. I have anti-psychotic induced EPS-dyskenisia from my trial and error experiments with my doc.

I'd look into Omega-3 fatty acids, coconut oil, along with vitamin D and multi-vitamins.

Benzos as needed for panic attacks (Xanax, Ativan, etc.) are widely supported by most people, but daily benzo usage will screw over your GABA tolerance and make getting to sobriety a living nightmare if not tapered slowly and consistently.

Having said that, if anxiety is becoming so serious that it's debilitating, then a low-medium dosage of a long half life benzo is acceptable for about 2 months, imo, since that's usually when tolerance makes that prescribed dosage useless. At that point, if benzos lose effectiveness, don't chase your dose, just maintain on a steady dosage so you don't go in to WD. You'll actually be less anxious in the long run by doing so, since your tolerance will just as easily catch up to your new, raised dosage.

Benzos, miraculously effective for short term usage (2-4 weeks), but become rather useless for some people over time.

The anxiolytic properties of alprazolam can be effective forever if not a really long time. However, that doesn't mean it should be used forever.

I agree. The back and forth thing will get you. Then your using everyday because your anxiety level goes up.

At first you won't know why. Then it will hit you.

I've kind of come to terms with the possibility that I might end up on benzos for my whole life. It really doesn't seem that bad.

They're useful as fuck, I definitely will stay prescribed forever, but I don't take benzos frequently, certainly not daily, only when things are debilitating.

Slightly off topic, but anyone tried high dose b3 , niacin.
Was a life saver when my anxiety was tweaked up constantly. My doctor would only prescribe ssri's, which made things really bad for me.
The flush of niacin relieved the anxiety enough for me to meditate.