• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I need help cutting benzos and getting off pregabalin

Nicocastillo7

Bluelighter
Hello everyone.
I haven't posted anything in the forum for a long time, but I'm always reading it.
I come to consult here, because we have not reached an agreement with my doctor, basically I need help to stop taking pregabalin and benzos (alprazolam 4mg a day at this time, 300mg of pregabalin a day)
I was able to stop doing cocaine, I haven't touched a line for a long time and I don't intend to, I also haven't smoked tobacco for 2 weeks and I haven't drunk alcohol for a long time, so I could say that my biggest problem (cocaine) has been ruled out of my life-
But the meds are a problem...I'm not going to lie, there are times I take 1500mg pregabalin recreationally, sometimes with some Ambien...so I didn't quit drugs completely (now I'm high on Tramadol 400mg , 2.5mg lorazepam, 2mg alprazolam, 1mg clonazepam) I am only going to take tramadol until I run out, because it is no longer easy for me to obtain opiates, what would be a way to get rid of this bad habit? Can I do it like I did with the cigarette? I just said one day, I don't want to smoke anymore and it was as simple as that.
Should I gradually lower the dose of benzos? Or could I go down 1mg at a time? I should also stop abusing my pregabalin

Depending on the time you've spent abusing benzos, and the dosages you normally take, you should make a taper plan. You can gradually lower the dose by 0.5mg a week (for example) until you reach a point where you can just stop cold turkey and quit benzos for good. Tapers work best with long-lasting benzos such as clonazepam or diazepam (preferably the latter in clinical settings).

How often would you say you use benzos (doses/week)? What specific benzos do you use most often/have access to? And at what dosage?

Depending on the time you've spent abusing benzos, and the dosages you normally take, you should make a taper plan. You can gradually lower the dose by 0.5mg a week (for example) until you reach a point where you can just stop cold turkey and quit benzos for good. Tapers work best with long-lasting benzos such as clonazepam or diazepam (preferably the latter in clinical settings).

How often would you say you use benzos (doses/week)? What specific benzos do you use most often/have access to? And at what dosage?
I've been taking them every day for about 7 years. I am now taking 4mg alprazolam a day, I have access to any benzo I want so I can change it if necessary..

I've been taking them every day for about 7 years. I am now taking 4mg alprazolam a day, I have access to any benzo I want so I can change it if necessary..
Assuming your supply is clean, I suggest diazepam (or potentially clonazepam) as your taper benzo. As for a tapering schedule, you might find some inspiration in the dedicated tapering thread. Here's the link(s):

I honestly would get professional help like at a hospital if you've been taking that much for so long. Not a bad thing. They can make sure you don't seize.

You want to go extremely slow with your taper. This is not going to be easy. That's a long time to have taken benzos at those doses everyday. I was on benzos for about 10yrs at similar doses and getting off was one of the most difficult things I've done in life. I would honestly seek a doctor to help wean. Good luck man. Keep us updated.

Don't let it fuck you in the head to start with. It is and has been done many times successfully but don't let the mind run amok with your plan. Yes?
Of course taper when you can and find something that distracts you when the small effects come from the drop in dosage. Get use to it. It's just a plan to get off benzos completely, right?
I don't know if I would suggest dropping many substances at once but we are all different so some can see would rather not.
Takes self control, ya got any of that? Being serious here cause commitment is all about it (self control, sacrifice, work and yes even slipping up and dropping the ball occasionally).
I would definitely not recommend any sudden cessation of any of these mentioned substances.
Just my experience with life in general and both of these drugs in particular.
Hopes are high that you reach the goal(s) you set.
Peace

Thank you all for the answers.
The certainty that this is going to last a long time scares me, and I think that I have fallen into a trap with pregabalin by abusing it. Yesterday I took only 150mg of pregablin in the morning (and nothing else) I left home with a friend, normal, somewhat nervous and took 2mg of xanax, I was calm all afternoon, a little uncomfortable due to the presence of people with whom things They weren't good in the past, but anyway, I realized how easy I start to dissociate, literally someone is talking to me and melt into thoughts, this is HORRIBLE. In addition to the fact that this is scary, it makes me anxious, or perhaps insecure, but I left the place, without saying anything, I just left, I felt so isolated in the crowd and I decided to leave, a decision that I regret because I was happy Being there, I met new people too, nice people, but for some reason that social anxiety stayed with me all afternoon and some situations make it worse. This social phobia obviously didn't exist in the past, but I was abusing opiates and I felt "I don't care" all the time, but now? it's hell to want to be "normal". Perhaps the fact of taking only 150mg caused more discomfort symptoms in my body, but I'm not sure, not really...
Today I have a "date" with a girl, she invited me, I'm calm about it, no more anxiety than I could hope for, but today I did take my 600mg of pregabalin, whatever, sorry about this, such a long fucking message to talk about my social insecurities, but they're fucked, so I had to say it (I have an appointment with my psychologist in 1 week) thanks everyone for the answers, I'll try not to force the cessation of the medication at this time, and maybe talk to my doctor about it the possibility of ADHD, I'm not sure if I have this, but on a daily basis I feel that maybe I do have that. Thanks for reading, I don't promise not to kill myself, but I will stay safe.

Can I do it like I did with the cigarette? I just said one day, I don't want to smoke anymore and it was as simple as that.
Should I gradually lower the dose of benzos? Or could I go down 1mg at a time?
Absolutely not. It might be tempting to try to get off them quickly, but it would be very counterproductive. If you try to quit abruptly, you may never be the same again. Please take it slowly and steadily, and consult with your doctor to determine if transitioning to a long-lasting benzodiazepine may be appropriate. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is neurotoxic, so you have to play the long game here. You're young and have the rest of your life ahead of you, take care !