• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

I Like to Draw Pictures of Random Molecules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree. I don't have my original source for that receptor correlation but I did find this:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/muscimol

Muscimol is a conformationally restricted analog of GABA in which a hydroxyisoxazole moiety replaces the carboxyl group of GABA. The 3-hydroxyisoxazole is recognized as a carboxyl group equivalent by GABAA and GABAC receptors but not by GABABreceptors. The neuronal GABA uptake system recognizes the 3-hydroxyisoxazole moiety, in that muscimol is a weak inhibitor of GABA uptake but is neither an inhibitor of nor a substrate for GABA aminotransferase, indicating that this enzyme does not interact with the 3-hydroxyisoxazole moiety.

I didnt argue you on that point, i mean the dotted line should point to the carbon not nitrogen, this is the same as what the reference mentioned.
Lemme draw picture:
1i9wlE2l.png

Meptazinol_analog-2.jpg

Another fanciful attempt to mimic the opioid agonist properties of morphine in a simpler molecule not involving fused ring systems. Not a simple molecule & would require some tinkering to optimize effect. Known compound but found no biological data.

Last edited:
hmm, logic sez it might be a ghb-type drug... that's a goodun... and no silly name? has dresden's account been hacked or something?? </s>

but more likely some sort of GABAB stuff happenin...

At first glance you are missing the aminomethyl function found in muscimol, which mimics the gamma-amino function in GABA. And I would guess regarding stability that the hydroxymethyl group in your suggestion might want to tautomerize to the aldehyde at certain pH ranges, which wouldn't be active. Nice idea, though.

Interesting acetylenic analog of trans-4-aminocrotonic acid. Interesting that it did not turn up in a Google search though I think it would be an interesting biological tool as well as moderately challenging synthetically.

I screwed this structure & nomenclature before. It is a known compound but the only uses are as pharma raw materials. No bio data found.

4-aminobut-2-ynoic_acid.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have an experience using ACD/ChemSketch? It appears that I'm going to be losing my ChemDraw 17 on September 19.

I don't understand your response. ChemBioDraw is just another Perkin-Elmer product. I don't know how much it costs but I doubt it's free for all. I'm lost about torrent as I've never run into it before. Can ypu PM me? Thanks!

Last edited:
Chemsketch is the best free one if you cannot afford chemdraw or obtain it behind a curtain.
It has most of the functionality you would want to use.

However it will feel quite sluggish to (not the performance tho); until you get use to which button do what and where they are.

@JacksinPA
While u still have access to chemdraw, try using its Chem3D program, and use the overlay function.
You will like it very much if you like comparison with the dotted lines like what are posted.
(Draw two molecules, press CtrlE to open model explorer, select target atom, R click the choose overlay, set some 2-3 overlay points, continue to minimize and overlay, can also measure distance differneces after)

Last edited:
Another analog of morphine:

R_-6-_dimethylamino_-5_6_7_8-tetrahydronaphthalen-2-ol.jpg

The stereochemistry at the amine may be off. Even though simpler in structure & not involving any fused ring systems, this would not be a simple synthesis project. Not found in Google search.

The 2-aminotetralins are known psychoactive compounds, although I don't know of any that are mu opioid agonists. See: 2-AT (and the compounds listed under "Chemical derivatives" on this page).

The 2-aminotetralins are known psychoactive compounds, although I don't know of any that are mu opioid agonists. See: 2-AT (and the compounds listed under "Chemical derivatives" on this page).

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this class, which I had ignored until now. Here is a reference: https://www.revolvy.com/page/2%2DAminotetralin. Some of these are stimulants. Lots of liks on various substituents in this class.

JacksinPA, have you heard of the "morphine rule"? It's a rough SAR predictor for opioid-type activity. Some of these compounds you are drawing do not follow it (no quaternary carbons).

CGwRTL4m.png

Morphine, a potent and addictive analgesic (“painkiller”), and related molecules share a characteristic set of four features (connected in this order) called the morphine rule:
1) a (possibly substituted) phenyl ring
2) an sp3 hybridized (quaternary) carbon atom
3) a CH2-CH2 sequence
4) an sp3 hybridized nitrogen atom (tertiary amine)
note the underlines are my corrections.

so maybe:
65xxO0hm.png

LM88ETYm.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, which I am aware of. Feel free to add methyl groups wherever you want to my structures. I am not interested in cluttering up my sketches with all the possible methylated forms. Anyone looking to do creative work based ion my drawings would either have the sense to optimize those structures or waste a lot of time & $$$ in the lab.

As with the 2-aminotetralin strictures, some interesting non-opioid activities derive from simply dissecting the morphine structure into simpler analogs.

R_-6-_dimethylamino_-5_6_7_8-tetrahydronaphthalen-2-ol.jpg

The stereochemistry at the amine may be off. Even though simpler in structure & not involving any fused ring systems, this would not be a simple synthesis project. Not found in Google search.

While R is the correct stereochemistry for potent dopaminergic activity in this series of 2-ATs, I found very little on the 6-hydroxy compound. There is a lot of interest in 6,7-ADTN:

A broad spectrum dopamine receptor agonist. Demonstrates a marked selectivity for the human dopamine D3 receptor. 6,7-ADTN and psychostimulants such as cocaine and amphetamine reduce excitatory synaptic transmission in the nucleus accumbens by activating presynaptic dopamine receptors.

A number of multi-step syntheses of 6,7-ADTN have been published, all low-yielding. The R stereochemistry has to be at least 97%.

2-amino-6_7-dihydroxytetrahydronaphthalene.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.