• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals I like Calamus root

Neuroborean

Bluelight Crew
You know guys, I've read a lot about it, including old @Xorkoth's comment about not being worthy, and a lot of people saying that it doesn't do anything when dried.....
not my experience at all,
It's true that I didn't try it fresh, a thing that I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO do, but I've never found vendors or places to get it, it would be so cool to find one (I'm not asking for sources..)

For me it just works, very nicely, very "serotoninergically", with obviously enhanced light halos after 20-40 minutes after using it. I've found that it works so good in combination with black seed oil, they complement each other perfectly, and mucuna also enhances the experience. I'm on it at the moment, the visual component it's very clear and I find everything more interesting, both in terms of visual enhancement and also subtle but clear mood enhancement and what seem to be little serotonin release (similar to kanna but not as strong).

I don't know guys, maybe you're expecting some kind of blast or a stim like rush? some visuals like HBWR high dose or shrooms? I just don't need that at the moment, at least not in my daily life, that I just struggle not to feel overwhelmed by the amount of shit surrounding my life, I cannot just use strong stuff everyday, nor I want to, so I I'm in the need of subtle substance and even weed feels too strong for me.
Kava kava, kratom and calamus are my favourite and the more I think about it the more I like calamus instead of kratom, that lately causes me to feel content but not happy, zombie-ish because of nothing, it feels like a way of hiding/desertion and not a way of enhancing my day... maybe the first dose is that, but all the rest... just addiction/habit, which I don't like.

So then, I like calamus, I use 1.5-3 grams, more it's not worthy IMO since it becomes more sedating and couch-locky, it has some micro-rush that I call the maoi-rush, since it's similar to that of harmalas, it seems that some component has MAO-A inhibitory actions, as I remember. It feels pretty similar to phenethylamines in it's core, stimulates the body, with some warm sense of peace and at the same time calms the mind, bringing it so some kind of serenity and functional mood, time seems affected in that way, because seems to be stopping, or going slower, it's one of the most interesting effects, that zen feeling that seem a bit like those moments of peace of good bud or good kava, but different because it seems more spiritual in nature, and at the same time more down to earth, more sober and lucid.

One thing I like to do while on it is just observing, it's pretty good for observing, I would say also for introspection as introspection is a way of observing. I think this substance goes hand in hand with kratom, but it's good to try it on its own since it's subtle enough to be worth a little attention when doing it on its own, to learn to see the nuances of the experience while on it. It reminds me a bit of 2c-c, the "comedown" or last part of the experience, but more stimulating and more subtle.

Next days (maybe tomorrow or maybe in a week, depending on the events )I will try 69ron's acetone wash that I did with +10grams of calamus. According to 69ron, the acetone washes over the emetic components (asarone?) that also cause stupid sedation in higher doses, so you end up with a powder that has the interesting psychedelic and stimulating compounds that are NOT asarone(s).
I don't know how serious and real this is since I'm not an expert in the biochemical field nor in the calamus plant, so maybe some chemists here could help with that, what's pretty sure is that the calamus root has A LOT of different actives so maybe those who are in "minute" quantities could be active only if you separate the more pharmacologically active ones, (the asarones). I'll post my experience in other thread if it's worth it, but also here probably, as a little summary of the experience.

here there's some interesting, basic, papers:

Maybe I'm the odd one here but now that I have (5 years) of kratom tolerance I consider kava kava and calamus much more euphoric plants than kratom itself (my kratom doses are 2-4 grams, low... yeah). Perhaps euphoria it's not the proper word but I think that calamus it's probably one of the best natural anti-depressants, I like it better than Kanna and I only prefer Saffron as in terms of antidepressant feeling, but it's stronger than Saffron (I cultivated saffron and had a lot of grams to play with, fresh Saffron it's definitely psychoactive in "big" doses).

With other substances I feel like it's a enhancer of the other substances (maybe the maoi effects?) but at the same time it tends to go in the front of the experience, at least in mental effects (talking about plants, not hard stuff).

Summing up, it's like a natural anti-depressant, serotoninesque and glowy, serene, slightly stimulating and mind-peace inducing, with some spiritual teaching undertone and a nice soft body high. I would love to try it fresh and chewed, and to grow it! but that would be in another thread I guess...

You know guys, I've read a lot about it, including old @Xorkoth's comment about not being worthy, and a lot of people saying that it doesn't do anything when dried.....
It's true that I didn't try it fresh, a thing that I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO do, but I've never found vendors or places to get it, it would be so cool to find one (I'm not asking for sources..)

For me it just works, very nicely, very "serotoninergically", with obviously enhanced light halos after 20-40 minutes after using it. I've found that it works so good in combination with black seed oil, they complement each other perfectly, and mucuna also enhances the experience. I'm on it at the moment, the visual component it's very clear and I find everything more interesting, both in terms of visual enhancement and also subtle but clear mood enhancement and what seem to be little serotonin release (similar to kanna but not as strong).

I don't know guys, maybe you're expecting some kind of blast or a stim like rush? some visuals like HBWR high dose or shrooms? I just don't need that at the moment, at least not in my daily life, that I just struggle not to feel overwhelmed by the amount of shit surrounding my life, I cannot just use strong stuff everyday, nor I want to, so I I'm in the need of subtle substance and even weed feels too strong for me.
Kava kava, kratom and calamus are my favourite and the more I think about it the more I like calamus instead of kratom, that lately causes me to feel content but not happy, zombie-ish because of nothing, it feels like a way of hiding/desertion and not a way of enhancing my day... maybe the first dose is that, but all the rest... just addiction/habit, which I don't like.

So then, I like calamus, I use 1.5-3 grams, more it's not worthy IMO since it becomes more sedating and couch-locky, it has some micro-rush that I call the maoi-rush, since it's similar to that of harmalas, it seems that some component has MAO-A inhibitory actions, as I remember. It feels pretty similar to phenethylamines in it's core, stimulates the body, with some warm sense of peace and at the same time calms the mind, bringing it so some kind of serenity and functional mood, time seems affected in that way, because seems to be stopping, or going slower, it's one of the most interesting effects, that zen feeling that seem a bit like those moments of peace of good bud or good kava, but different because it seems more spiritual in nature, and at the same time more down to earth, more sober and lucid.

One thing I like to do while on it is just observing, it's pretty good for observing, I would say also for introspection as introspection is a way of observing. I think this substance goes hand in hand with kratom, but it's good to try it on its own since it's subtle enough to be worth a little attention when doing it on its own, to learn to see the nuances of the experience while on it. It reminds me a bit of 2c-c, the "comedown" or last part of the experience, but more stimulating and more subtle.

Next days (maybe tomorrow or maybe in a week, depending on the events )I will try 69ron's acetone wash that I did with +10grams of calamus. According to 69ron, the acetone washes over the emetic components (asarone?) that also cause stupid sedation in higher doses, so you end up with a powder that has the interesting psychedelic and stimulating compounds that are NOT asarone(s).
I don't know how serious and real this is since I'm not an expert in the biochemical field nor in the calamus plant, so maybe some chemists here could help with that, what's pretty sure is that the calamus root has A LOT of different actives so maybe those who are in "minute" quantities could be active only if you separate the more pharmacologically active ones, (the asarones). I'll post my experience in other thread if it's worth it, but also here probably, as a little summary of the experience.

Maybe I'm the odd one here but now that I have (5 years) of kratom tolerance I consider kava kava and calamus much more euphoric plants than kratom itself (my kratom doses are 2-4 grams, low... yeah). Perhaps euphoria it's not the proper word but I think that calamus it's probably one of the best natural anti-depressants, I like it better than Kanna and I only prefer Saffron as in terms of antidepressant feeling, but it's stronger than Saffron (I cultivated saffron and had a lot of grams to play with, fresh Saffron it's definitely psychoactive in "big" doses).

With other substances I feel like it's a enhancer of the other substances (maybe the maoi effects?) but at the same time it tends to go in the front of the experience, at least in mental effects (talking about plants, not hard stuff).

Summing up, it's like a natural anti-depressant, serotoninesque and glowy, serene, slightly stimulating and mind-peace inducing, with some spiritual teaching undertone and a nice soft body high. I would love to try it fresh and chewed, and to grow it! but that would be in another thread I guess...
thanks for the post. Calamus is a new one to me. I feel the way you are describing about Amanita Muscaria

When I was a young dumb high schooler trying out "ethnobotanicals" which could be had from those various internet plant shops, I got some calamus after reading erowid about it.

I drank a cup of this very soapy tasting tea and ended up vomiting for hours. My parents almost brought me to the er, and to this date it was my most unpleasant drug misadventure yet.

I'm not sure if it was simply a different type or if it didn't agree with my physiology, but I would retch smelling the drawer that was perfumed with the awful calamus scent.

When I was a young dumb high schooler trying out "ethnobotanicals" which could be had from those various internet plant shops, I got some calamus after reading erowid about it.

I drank a cup of this very soapy tasting tea and ended up vomiting for hours. My parents almost brought me to the er, and to this date it was my most unpleasant drug misadventure yet.

I'm not sure if it was simply a different type or if it didn't agree with my physiology, but I would retch smelling the drawer that was perfumed with the awful calamus scent.
When I was that same young'n, I tried Calamus in likely much smaller doses. I got a mild buzz like so many legal highs gave at the time. It seemed like it wasn't placebo, but it was pretty mild and I gave up on it like so many others.

Now, Sassafras... I tried making an alcohol extract of that in my early twenties. Wolfed down too much of that and ended up vomiting for hours and feeling quite poisoned. I thought seriously of going to the ER myself.

I've chewing calamus root time ago...the taste is very....acrid somehow....and it's somelike likely stimulating..it's a precious herb with lot of uses....good for all digestive system,for oral hygiene too.Native americans had been use this from ancient times...The remedy is not habbit forming...vut i think the best results are achieved with fresh root👍

I too tried calmus in my teens. Remember a funny tasting tea but no effects at all, the very opposite of kanna. Maybe I dosed too low or an extract is required for calmus to work?

I too tried calmus in my teens. Remember a funny tasting tea but no effects at all, the very opposite of kanna. Maybe I dosed too low or an extract is required for calmus to work?
You might have to eat it. Don't think it's more than a pleasant, mild buzz though.

Maybe you may think I'm exaggerating, but at least the calamus I got works pretty nice, and I get more noticeable effects than with low dose kratom, and a very nuanced experience.
Perhaps I'm sensitive for its powers? I don't see it as a stimulant, it's more in this no-place between a zen-like serene inducing drug (like heady kavas) and maoi type stimulation, that it's not really forced but more like a way of enhancing your own energy.
Take account that I have adhd, so maybe it's better for us? for some reason I think maois feel very good for us adhd'ers, but only tried harmalas on their own once, and not selegiline or things like that.

@Skorpio , @ions or @G_Chem ...
I'm sure any of you can tell me about this...
I did an acetone wash of calamus, my idea was to use it these days (today... tomorrow..)
the thing is that even if I dried it (throroughly, I thought...) with an air heater... it seems that the little acetone remnants in the powder, that was obviously defatted with the acetone wash, attracted some water, as I should had expected, considering that acetone is super hydrophylic...

the result was that I found some black mold, not a lot, but enough to be seen in a couple places, in my acetone washed calamus powder..
so then, I thought: why not to wash it with vinegar for a day and later include some baking soda (1/4 teaspoon or less) to neutralize a bit the acetic acid?
My idea there was to kill the mold, and then "finish" the extraction with vinegar, I would drink the calamus vinegar diluted in water but my doubts are...:

if it makes a bit the famous ""volcano baking soda/vinegar" reaction.. would it destroy the actives by heat or by other chemical reactions? could I control that?
would it be unhealthy to take such a mixture? (my bet is that the mold would be kill by those 2 chemicals, isn't it?

don't know. I'm not over familiar with acid/base and extractions. Other than following directions or really simple stuff.
The other two BLers you listed are probably more keen on natural product isolation.

@Skorpio , @ions or @G_Chem ...
I'm sure any of you can tell me about this...
I did an acetone wash of calamus, my idea was to use it these days (today... tomorrow..)
the thing is that even if I dried it (throroughly, I thought...) with an air heater... it seems that the little acetone remnants in the powder, that was obviously defatted with the acetone wash, attracted some water, as I should had expected, considering that acetone is super hydrophylic...

the result was that I found some black mold, not a lot, but enough to be seen in a couple places, in my acetone washed calamus powder..
so then, I thought: why not to wash it with vinegar for a day and later include some baking soda (1/4 teaspoon or less) to neutralize a bit the acetic acid?
My idea there was to kill the mold, and then "finish" the extraction with vinegar, I would drink the calamus vinegar diluted in water but my doubts are...:

if it makes a bit the famous ""volcano baking soda/vinegar" reaction.. would it destroy the actives by heat or by other chemical reactions? could I control that?
would it be unhealthy to take such a mixture? (my bet is that the mold would be kill by those 2 chemicals, isn't it?

A crazy reaction by mixing baking soda and vinegar shouldn’t make conditions too extreme. The bubbling comes mostly from the CO2 production and no real intense heat from what I recall.

The biggest question in all this is, what are you trying to isolate? Certain substances will degrade just by looking at them funny and others can sit in a tomb for millennia and still be good to eat. It’s hard to say what conditions will degrade the psychoactivity without knowing with psychoactive you’re looking to isolate.

Overall though, I have hopes your goods will still be in there. I’d be more worried about carrying over any mold toxins.

-GC

A crazy reaction by mixing baking soda and vinegar shouldn’t make conditions too extreme. The bubbling comes mostly from the CO2 production and no real intense heat from what I recall.

The biggest question in all this is, what are you trying to isolate? Certain substances will degrade just by looking at them funny and others can sit in a tomb for millennia and still be good to eat. It’s hard to say what conditions will degrade the psychoactivity without knowing with psychoactive you’re looking to isolate.

Overall though, I have hopes your goods will still be in there. I’d be more worried about carrying over any mold toxins.

-GC
People that have done the extraction doesn't really know what's going on, really
it seems that the interesting compound(s) in calamus is not asarone, as it was thought in the beginning
asarone it's the compound that makes one somewhat sedated (more sedated if taken more calamus) and also creates the "ceiling effect" because it's super emetic and generates a lot of bile production, so it's not good for the belly in higher amounts.

according to several people in other forums, if you wash the calamus with acetone or d-limonene, the rest of the powder would have the stimulant and light psychedelic compounds that are worthy.
Not sure what could be, and maybe it depends on the calamus, because different calamus of different regions have different amounts of compounds

I'll report back. But I will do the extraction again, as I don't trust so much my powder after months sitting there (and attacked by mold..). Do you think mold toxins wouldn't degrade in bakind soda/vinegar?
umm I hope it's not too unhealthy

People that have done the extraction doesn't really know what's going on, really
it seems that the interesting compound(s) in calamus is not asarone, as it was thought in the beginning
asarone it's the compound that makes one somewhat sedated (more sedated if taken more calamus) and also creates the "ceiling effect" because it's super emetic and generates a lot of bile production, so it's not good for the belly in higher amounts.

according to several people in other forums, if you wash the calamus with acetone or d-limonene, the rest of the powder would have the stimulant and light psychedelic compounds that are worthy.
Not sure what could be, and maybe it depends on the calamus, because different calamus of different regions have different amounts of compounds

I'll report back. But I will do the extraction again, as I don't trust so much my powder after months sitting there (and attacked by mold..). Do you think mold toxins wouldn't degrade in bakind soda/vinegar?

I’ll add more later but just a note. Mold toxins are generally non-polar soluble, so that info could help you remove/isolate.

-GC

Vinegar will likely not remove mold toxins from the extract. It isn't a very strong acid, and won't do much to non-acid reactive chemicals. Mycotoxins are fairly diverse in structure and I wouldn't bet on vinegar reacting with very many of them.

I think it's hard to perform extractions when you don't know what the active compounds are. It would be interesting to make separate aqueous and nonpolar extracts to see winch ones retain the effects.

Vinegar will likely not remove mold toxins from the extract. It isn't a very strong acid, and won't do much to non-acid reactive chemicals. Mycotoxins are fairly diverse in structure and I wouldn't bet on vinegar reacting with very many of them.

I think it's hard to perform extractions when you don't know what the active compounds are. It would be interesting to make separate aqueous and nonpolar extracts to see winch ones retain the effects.
I know, from anecdotal reports from a guy that I trust (maybe without proper reasons??) that the acetone wash gets rid of the non-interesting (toxic) compounds and then the interesting compounds seem water soluble, so I guess most of the actives will keep there in the vinegar because of the water content. Is that right?
If I found it to be succesful then I will try different solvents for the next extraction.
The "bad" compound seems to be asarone (counter-intuitively according to some studies/anecdotal reports) because it makes it sedating and emetic, specially in higher dosages.

I’ll add more later but just a note. Mold toxins are generally non-polar soluble, so that info could help you remove/isolate.

-GC
I've read that most dangerous mold toxins in black mold type are specially dangerous in long-term expositions. Well, there's also those aflatoxins...
I just don't have any idea about which type of mold could that be, it's specially oppresive, to think about that...
I just hope the mold toxins would not be enough to cause any problem.

Do you know any other plant/supplement that could help to suppress or diminish possible harm?

I have here my acetone washed extract of calamus...
I'm finally on my own and with time enough to try, most likely I will end up puking or mold intoxicated, probably in the best scenario nothing will happen...
Or well, maybe it's a bit like I've read!! Hope so, but considering that the mixture stayed for months... first the acetone washed powder (that surely had some unfiltered acetone...) and then the water/acid extraction with vinegar...
let's see, I will post my results today.
It has been done with 12 grams of calamus powder if I remember well, around 100ml of acetone.

Wish me some luck!! Doing this for the Psychonautical Science Commitee of Bluelight Mothership!!:cool::alien::Sherlock:

In the early morning I took around 3 grams of ashwagandha, I couldn't sleep properly... In the morning when waking up I took 2 coffees, 2 grams haritaki (to protect stomach from acidity) and a bit of tongkat ali (300-400mg...) Not expecting anything noticeable in terms of dulling effects too much or interactions (perhaps dulling by ashwa and smoothing the experience by haritaki...).

00.00: This shit tastes too much like vinegar.. even watered down with lemon water....Otherwise it tastes pretty correct, not super strong or anything, perhaps I killed all the actives in the long wait...

00.05: Perhaps placebo but I felt some strange change feeling in my body, as getting more awake and little spine thrill.

00.10: finishing this shitty beverage, I could have done it with water, fuck that vinegar...chasing with a bit of tomato juice. Listening to Keith Jarrett solo concert, sounds very good, but he sounds like glory most times. I could be already feeling the time-slowing sensation of calamus.

00.15: I would not say that the actual effects cannot simply be placebo but I would say that it is beginning to be unlikely that the mixture is inactive, at least retaining some qualities of calamus (which would not be soluble in acetone). I find the music much more impressive, in a similar way to psychedelics. There is an obvious stimulation but it may also be a result of my nerves and my anticipation of going to have a burst stomach before long....
For now the discomfort in the stomach is pretty mild, just a certain heaviness that I think is due to the vinegar.
The time perception is becoming denser/slower, in a similar way to when you smoke marijuana. However the stimulating effect of the calamus is much more apparent and less "dreamy" than when I have used it un-extracted.
Will report back at 00.30. 00.40

Very clear erotic enhancement around 00.20...
perhaps it's not so much the "erotic enhancement" but the emotional/thought enhancement typical of psychs. Orgasm and eroticism is enhanced, not like "5-meo-mipt enhanced" but more enhanced that with most herbs.

00.28: I feel it's very unlikely the effects are placebo. The stimulation felt it's definitely very calamus-esque. I feel minor acidic queasiness. I hope it won't develop into crazy vomiting.
I feel a certain calmness, I wouldn't know what to do right now. I should cook but I think I'm going to eat rather little even though it's lunch time. I am more sensitive to smells and light. I don't know how much acetone might be left on the calamus after drying it with a fan, I hope not much.
Everything in my house seems very quiet, slightly serious, there is no clear (mental) euphoria but there is a more or less marked body high, a lightness and lack of effort present in my movements.

00.40: acidic queasyness is starting to dissapear. Psychedelic mindset seems to be slowly increasing but no visuals to notice yet (69ron was super sensitive to visuals/psychs so I expect no visuals). I want to eat something and have a shower. I have slight hyperglycemia so this could be dulling a bit the effects (which normally happens with all substances).