• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I find caffeine harder to quit than nicotine, just me?

THC decreases wave move (it has some specific term but can't recall) of gut and defecating reflect, but relaxes gut, so end result can be anything.

By me it mostly causes mild constipation, which is often welcomed tho, but I can evacuate well every morning, so it is not as bad as opioids. But sometimes I feel if I've had lots of stress, taking moderate hit can ease my physiology, also pelvic floor, so that I suddenly can make a poo.

Nicotine is harder for me to stay away from. I quit 3 years ago and started again last winter when mom died so I'm taking champix AGAIN.

I hate cigarettes but as soon as stress hits I'm craving them more then I crave dope.

I only drink green tea, at most 2 a day and I don't notice anything

i haven't smoked cigs in over 10 years - but i mainly miss the ritual of it - sitting out on the front steps and having a smoke - shit like that

it was hard to quit but whatever i did it - i had quit several times for long periods too - so i was kinda getting good at quitting smoking - but i did notice it seemed to get harder with time - smoked for about 25 years total - but only about a half a pack a day

now coffee - that was very easy to quit - you just stop - but i don't really have much interest in stopping other than to see how different things would be without it

i only drink 1 mug full - or 2 espresso shots when i wake up and that's it

and i did it for 6 months - but i had this weird headache in the back of my head that would come and go for the entire 6 months - and as soon as i started again, i never got it again

i think my life is much better with my 1 cup of coffee a day routine and im never gonna quit again

:caffeine:

Invega blocks caffeine for me. So I don't get stim highs anymore from it. I go a day or two without and notice nothing. No craving, just like the alkaloids for benefiting health. Cig I most recently smoked for a year and a half then decided to quit a 3 cigarette a day habit cold turkey about this time 4 years ago. It was roughest days 2-4. So I would smoke hemp doobies and kief joints just for the pastime of blowing smoke. ANd that's it. Some people like blowing smoke. But the nicotine draws you in too. So if it's just for smoke. Hemp Buds will get you nice.

On an unrelated note, I can't get away from Weed and Beer.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances in the world, especially if you started using it at a young age (rewires the cholinergic system).
Caffeine, not so much. I mean, it is habit-forming because it’s literally everywhere, and it does have withdrawal symptoms in heavy users. It’s also hard to find a reason to quit since it has so few side effects when used in moderation. But if you actually wanted to stop, it’s not that hard in my experience; in fact, it’s probably the easiest drug for me to quit.

I absolutely love nicotine and though I only use it secretly/ rarely due to my family disapproving of it, it’s regularly on the back of my mind. do you think a few instances of very high nicotine dosing as a teenager could have affected me. for example, at around age 14, I began abusing my fathers nicotine inhaler cartridges. Not sure about the dosage, but I would inhale each cartridge in one sitting, (around five minutes). I would then Chew the nicotine soaked sponge inside the cartridge to get any last bit of nicotine. A year later, I discovered my fathers abandoned stockpile of nicotine patches(26 mg each) so I first tried wearing one and didn’t get much out of it. I decided to chew it up and that gave me a huge rush of euphoria. over the next few months, I chewed up about nine or more of these 26 mg patches. I would chew up the patches and keep them in my mouth for about 15 minutes and then swallow the liquid with A glass of milk. this would result in tremendous euphoria, something I’ve never felt before and on a few occasions my uncle indicated he was suspicious of why I was suddenly extremely happy and confident. I then didn’t find nicotine again until age 18 when I found my dad had a huge stockpile of unused e-cigarette Devices and a huge amount of hi nicotine E-lliquid. I began using vaping pens on a daily basis, finishing each one in under a day on many occasions. when my father gave up on vaping and throughout his devices, I began abusing the E-liquid by squirting a large amount into my mouth and holding it until a huge amount of euphoria hit me. whilst I initially spat out the liquid, I later began to swallow it as the effects were more intense. I did this regularly for a period of three weeks straight and then on and off for the next few months. then I went for a year without nicotine until I went on holiday. when on holiday in Yemen, I got access to my parents pipe tobacco and began sneaking bundles of it to the toilet where I would chew it up. I honestly don’t know The doses of nicotine I would have consumed through abusing tobacco, Vape juice or nicotine cartridges but it was likely very high. almost forgot to mention that I regularly emptied the contents of a cigarette or two, on one occasion 4, using it as a form of chewing/dipping tobacco. only with the nicotine patches, do I know the exact dose I was consuming at each time.

Do you think this has probably contributed to my current love for nicotine and opportunistic smoking behaviour?

Why would anyone even consider quitting caffeine?

It's what keeps the world turning...

Ya know...I read all these things how people's lives were better after they quit caffeine, and sleep improved and all this shit... I quit for 6 months..and ya know what?

I didn't see anything like that... Nothing improved

Now I only drink 1 nice mugful or a couple espresso shots in the morning and that's it... So maybe it's the people that drink caffeine all throughout the day that are seeing a difference?

Ya know...I read all these things how people's lives were better after they quit caffeine, and sleep improved and all this shit... I quit for 6 months..and ya know what?

I didn't see anything like that... Nothing improved

Now I only drink 1 nice mugful or a couple espresso shots in the morning and that's it... So maybe it's the people that drink caffeine all throughout the day that are seeing a difference?
That's where I eventually landed. 1 espresso in the morning, sometimes not even that if I forget. I like the taste more than the effect, I'm naturally "wired" and still have intermittent insomnia and have just accepted it.

Life is boring with an intoxicant to depend on. And coffee is a safe intoxicant.
Better than those pharmaceutical bitches. I aint judging.

I absolutely love nicotine and though I only use it secretly/ rarely due to my family disapproving of it, it’s regularly on the back of my mind. do you think a few instances of very high nicotine dosing as a teenager could have affected me. for example, at around age 14, I began abusing my fathers nicotine inhaler cartridges. Not sure about the dosage, but I would inhale each cartridge in one sitting, (around five minutes). I would then Chew the nicotine soaked sponge inside the cartridge to get any last bit of nicotine. A year later, I discovered my fathers abandoned stockpile of nicotine patches(26 mg each) so I first tried wearing one and didn’t get much out of it. I decided to chew it up and that gave me a huge rush of euphoria. over the next few months, I chewed up about nine or more of these 26 mg patches. I would chew up the patches and keep them in my mouth for about 15 minutes and then swallow the liquid with A glass of milk. this would result in tremendous euphoria, something I’ve never felt before and on a few occasions my uncle indicated he was suspicious of why I was suddenly extremely happy and confident. I then didn’t find nicotine again until age 18 when I found my dad had a huge stockpile of unused e-cigarette Devices and a huge amount of hi nicotine E-lliquid. I began using vaping pens on a daily basis, finishing each one in under a day on many occasions. when my father gave up on vaping and throughout his devices, I began abusing the E-liquid by squirting a large amount into my mouth and holding it until a huge amount of euphoria hit me. whilst I initially spat out the liquid, I later began to swallow it as the effects were more intense. I did this regularly for a period of three weeks straight and then on and off for the next few months. then I went for a year without nicotine until I went on holiday. when on holiday in Yemen, I got access to my parents pipe tobacco and began sneaking bundles of it to the toilet where I would chew it up. I honestly don’t know The doses of nicotine I would have consumed through abusing tobacco, Vape juice or nicotine cartridges but it was likely very high. almost forgot to mention that I regularly emptied the contents of a cigarette or two, on one occasion 4, using it as a form of chewing/dipping tobacco. only with the nicotine patches, do I know the exact dose I was consuming at each time.

Do you think this has probably contributed to my current love for nicotine and opportunistic smoking behaviour?
It might have contributed. Were you exposed to secondhand smoke as a child as well? Often, when people who have had early nicotine exposure from a family member end up trying their first hit of nicotine (usually a cigarette), it makes their brain go like: “Aha, this is what I was missing.”
Addiction may not set in right away, but the flame has been lit.

This doesn’t mean you’re destined to be an addict, or that you’ll never feel normal without nicotine. Let's not forget that millions of people successfully overcome their addiction every year.

It might have contributed. Were you exposed to secondhand smoke as a child as well? Often, when people who have had early nicotine exposure from a family member end up trying their first hit of nicotine (usually a cigarette), it makes their brain go like: “Aha, this is what I was missing.”
Addiction may not set in right away, but the flame has been lit.

This doesn’t mean you’re destined to be an addict, or that you’ll never feel normal without nicotine. Let's not forget that millions of people successfully overcome their addiction every year.

Yes, I was regularly exposed to secondhand smoke as a child, because I never left the adults alone. I used to love sitting with them when they smoked because they seemed happy and would listen to everything I had to say. at that time, they were unaware of the dangers of secondhand smoke. you’re right about not needing nicotine to feel normal. yes, I love nicotine and the first time I tried it, The euphoric sensations felt strangely familiar despite the fact I had never experienced them before. whilst nicotine regularly crosses my mind, I don’t generally have any cravings for it, unless I was about to get hold of some and then, for some reason I couldn’t or my plan to use it was disrupted. only then do the cravings bother me. personally, I find nicotine very strange. I found it to be quite a subtle and gentle stimulant compared to caffeine, But it’s very mild relaxant and euphoriant properties can make it more psychologically addictive.

I agree. Once I decide once and for all to quit nicotine(cigarettes and dip)it wasn’t that hard, with the help of patches. Caffeine had been an ongoing struggle for years. I am almost always on a caffeine taper, which I end up blowing up, rinse, repeat. The lowest I’ve gotten down to in recent years is 100 mg/ day. But I do plan on getting down to zero and going at least three months completely caffeine free.

I agree. Once I decide once and for all to quit nicotine(cigarettes and dip)it wasn’t that hard, with the help of patches. Caffeine had been an ongoing struggle for years. I am almost always on a caffeine taper, which I end up blowing up, rinse, repeat. The lowest I’ve gotten down to in recent years is 100 mg/ day. But I do plan on getting down to zero and going at least three months completely caffeine free.

Well, I’ve used caffeine heavily on and off since about age 12. apart from giving it up during The Muslim holy month of Ramadan to avoid sleep disturbance, I’ve never tried or wanted to give up caffeine. sometimes, if I’m planning for a good day, I will even consume two or three cans of monster energy drinks all at once to give me a strong buzz and lots of energy. regarding nicotine, whilst I can do without it, I would much rather be using it and its only because I’m financially dependent on my family as a blind person that I can’t obtain very high strength snuss or nicotine pouches. my family would be very upset with that and I wouldn’t want to hurt them. nevertheless, as I’ve mentioned previously, I’ve always felt much better when using nicotine regularly and I don’t really see a problem being addicted to it so long as it’s cheaply available. i’d love to try the Siberian Extreme Snuss which has a very strong mint flavour, with 45 mg of nicotine per pouch. i’ve listened to people trying it on YouTube, they do it as a challenge and they generally don’t like it but it makes me extremely jealous because I know I would love it.

I was able to quit nicotine 30 years ago. The funny thing about that was I felt better not smoking, but my body craved the poison feeling. It may be the only withdrawal that makes a person feel healthier. Hungry, sleep and calmer.

I drink 3 cups of coffee every morning and have for 48 years. In 1984, during Hurricane Alicia, living in Houston our power went out for 4 days and I could not make coffee and tried to give it up. Whoever says caffeine withdrawal is easy is misinformed. I can give up tobacco, kratom, opiates, etc... But at this point I do not think I could quit caffeine in the morning. The lethargy and headaches are horrible. No way is it easy for someone on it for years. I learned that during that hurricane.

The good thing is caffeine is everywhere you turn. So a very easy habit to continue. I never drink caffeine after my morning coffee though.

I was able to quit nicotine 30 years ago. The funny thing about that was I felt better not smoking, but my body craved the poison feeling. It may be the only withdrawal that makes a person feel healthier. Hungry, sleep and calmer.

I drink 3 cups of coffee every morning and have for 48 years. In 1984, during Hurricane Alicia, living in Houston our power went out for 4 days and I could not make coffee and tried to give it up. Whoever says caffeine withdrawal is easy is misinformed. I can give up tobacco, kratom, opiates, etc... But at this point I do not think I could quit caffeine in the morning. The lethargy and headaches are horrible. No way is it easy for someone on it for years. I learned that during that hurricane.

The good thing is caffeine is everywhere you turn. So a very easy habit to continue. I never drink caffeine after my morning coffee though.

Interesting. I think caffeine is unique compared to almost every other drug. it seems to be the only one that is actually good for you and when used in moderation beneficial for both mental and physical health. on the other hand, even nicotine when used without tobacco, which really helped me feel better in the long term, seem to affect my physical health negatively. for example, I rapidly lost a lot of weight and people said I looked more pale and unusually thin. though I felt tremendously happier, energised and resilient to stress on long-term high-dose nicotine, I couldn’t help feeling that there will probably be a catch to all this, and it is too good to be true. nevertheless, once I become financially independent, I’m planning to go back on high-dose nicotine as it’s much better than caffeine for me. it is much more euphoric and is much more of a functional stimulant as well.