I dont think its a joke....do you?

Thestepper69

Bluelighter
I got the following message from an online friend from New Jersey. She has informed me she sent it as a joke and thought I would get a kick out of it. I dont think this letter entitled "real raver love" is a joke. After reading it a couple of times I could see how it could be taken as a joke. But, when I first read it I became irate, upset, and just plain angry. She never included her own message w/ it, so I had no idea to take it as a joke. Although, even if she did include something like "hey steve, check this out. Its F'in hilarious!!!" I would have been offended. I dont know about the rest of the Bluelight family, but I take our scene seriously. I love the people, I especially love the music, the vibe, and all the idiosyncracies that go along w/ clubbing and raving. Raving/clubbing is what I love to do. It is where I feel at home away from home. IT IS MY WAY OF LIFE. I have learned a lot of different things from the people I have come in contact w/(good and bad), from all the different situtations(good and bad), and everything else(good and bad).
I have no clue if what this person wrote was a joke or not. I dont care. It actually hurt me to read what u r about to read. Yes, there are some people out there that some of this stuff describes....but I assure you, none of these kind of people have a clue what the scene is about. One thing, though, I am thankful that I read it was that it made me sit back and reflect on myself and my past and analyze it. And I found out that I am not a bad person, I have made a lot of mistakes in my life tho. None of which I regret.
I guess I am posting this to show what PLUR is not about. This letter could be highly offensive to you, or it could be taken as a joke (apparently what it was intended for....I dont see how tho). You can decide for yourself. Here is what PLUR means to me: PEACE....peace is within you....it must be worked out internally...in your heart....this way u can be at peace w/ the world around you. LOVE.....love can come in many different forms....but YOU must accept it and be able to identify it.....YOU must also be able to give it out....in plenty....to those who are deserving of it.....no love recieved....no love given. UNITY......unity is something that you cannot go w/ out in this lifetime, just like all of the other aspects of PLUR......unite with those around you that show you love and give you peace of mind.....once a true union is formed it can be harder to break than a diamond, you must also show love and give peace of mind to those who you choose to unite w/. RESPECT......respect is like the super-glue of PLUR.....the anchor.....respect must be earned by others, and yourself, in order to recieve it......if respect is lost, then all of PLUR is lost......respect yourself.....respect others.....respect GOD and everything around you.....respect the love and peace of mind you receive from a true union and that in itself is extremely rewarding. PLUR is not to be taken lightly, live by it, take it as seriously as you would a heart attack, and RESPECT PLUR!
Well go on and read the following and make up ur own mind on what it stands for.....a joke...or an EYE opener....or whatever you take it as. It deeply saddened me to even read words of this nature....call me super-sensitive.....tell me I have no sense of humor (couldn't be farther from the truth)....whatever you want. I am only being real to myself.
LATER!
PLUR!
stepper69
HERE IS THE LETTER ENTITLED:
"REAL RAVER LOVE"
raver love...raver love is telling him you'll love him so he will buy
> > you drugs, and then going home with a different guy after the party
> > because the first one is broke...raver love is teaching each other how
> > to
> > use phrases like "mad" and "phat" and ending your sentences with "yo"
> > even
> > though you were raised in the suburbs and your parents both drive
> > BMW's...raver love is him selling bathtub crank out of his parents'
> > house to
> > raise the money to pay for your abortion...raver love is when you both
> > get
> > kicked out of your parents' houses because you dropped out of grade 9,
> > and
> > you both become homeless street whores so you can have money to rave
> > with,
> > but you
> > both know it's only temporary, because you are gonna throw a party
> > and then you'll have lots of money!...raver love is waking up with
> > someone
> > whose name you don't remember, but you know you want to marry them even
> > though you just met them last nite and neither of you have jobs...raver
> > love
> > is when you care about your new flame so much that you decide you
> > shouldn't
> > tell them that you're HIV positive, because you know they love you so
> > much
> > they'll fuck you anyway...raver love is shoplifting phat and phresh gear
> >
> > from macy's, so you can go to the party wearing a tommy fleece and a
> > polo
> > sport hat, and he can have on a polo sport fleece and a tommy hat, and
> > you
> > can both wear your hats sideways, so people will know you are "keeping
> > it
> > real"...raver love is figuring out how to get each other into the party
> > for
> > free, or how to sneak in, even though the party is only $5 to get in
> > and the promoter is losing $20,000+ already...raver love is finding the
> > love
> > of your life at the drop of a hat and knowing that it's not just the e
> > that
> > makes you feel this way, not this time!...raver love is when you look up
> > to
> > him for how "old school" he is, because he's been raving for _8_ months
> > and
> > you've only been doing it for 4...raver love is when you try to "tag up
> > a
> > wall", and the real graff writers see you, and beat the fuck out of your
> >
> > clueless suburban asses and steal your car, but you hold hands when you
> > are
> > in the ambulance, and collaborate on a cover story to tell your
> > parents...raver love is supporting him when he dj's (at the gig he
> > got because he has done drug deals with the kid throwing the party, even
> >
> > though he can't even match a beat) by being right up front singing
> > along,
> > but first you have to finish selling this k, because there are some phat
> > new
> > pants you want to buy, and you have to get some crystal for the ride
> > home
> > too...raver love is something that stops happening when your brain and
> > body
> > are so wrecked from years of rave abuse that all you can do is atropy in
> >
> > your bed and watch cable tv, and wonder where your life went, and hey
> > what
> > ever happened to that girl you were going to spend your life with - no,
> > the
> > other one - no, the OTHER one, and the only times your old raving
> > brothers and sisters call you is to tell you someone else has died, and
> > you
> > look at all the fresh-faced little raver kiddies and wish you could do
> > it
> > over again. raver love sucks.
[This message has been edited by Thestepper69 (edited 07 January 2000).]

Joke, or no joke... that is NOT even SLIGHTLY funny...
I totaly agree with you stepper, very UN-PLUR. That has nothing to do with what raving is about.
I think I am going to go ready your nice replies to MY post to cheer me back up!
wink.gif

I agree with you...it's not funny. Some is offensive, the rest just dosen't make sense. Dosen't sound like ant of the ravers I know at all. I wonder who's warped view this is? That person's probably never been to a rave.

i agree with you fully, this was in bad taste
------------------
"whatever it is i think i
see, becomes a tootsie
roll to me"

"...raver love is him selling bathtub crank out of his parents' house to raise the money to pay for your abortion..."
That is soooooo harsh...I couldn't stop laughing.
smile.gif

Of course you must realize my favorite joke when I was a kid was, "What's black, white, and red and can't walk through a revolving door? A nun with a spear in her head." Yeah, there's definitely something wrong with me.
wink.gif

This starts out sounding like someone just cracking jokes at the rave scene, but by the end of it I was convinced it was a jaded ex-raver or a friend of ravers who had been beat down by some serious emotional shit. It didn't even offend me, it only made me feel sad for whatever the author had been through. It seems more cathartic than anything...
I know some of you have a very utopian view of the rave scene, but I've scoured the dark underbelly of the scene before, and I've seen a pretty close approximation of much of the stuff in "Raver Love." I don't mean to suggest it takes place often, but much of it has happened before...this stuff isn't total fiction, but luckily it's not as prevalent as it once was.
Hey, our scene may not always be pretty, but I don't necessarily always like pretty things. Sometimes I really respect a hard dose of reality, even if it is embellished for effect.
------------------
I will find humor in my everyday life by looking for people I can laugh at.

A nun, with a spear through her head!?
ROTFLOL!
I need help too, BTW. =P

Well Mr. Sticky your right as usual LOL. Our scene is great and we all seem to love it dearly but, like with everything else, there are dark sides of the scene, and if this was done as a joke or not there are peeps that feel that way and there are some that have gone thru that shit......
Here are some of my raver loves.....
raver love is when you see your peeps for the first time that nite and get warm heartfelt hugz from each........raver love is the feel of the beats of the DJ when they play a tite track that you love......raver love is reading posts on bluelight about a party you just threw and everyone had the best time
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
........raver love is the anticipation of a long planned nite with your crew.......raver love is time spent with that special someone in a sober state of mind and knowing that it can be even more fun that way than under any drug.........raver love is meeting new peeps and connecting right off becuase you really do have alot in common.....
Those are just a few of my raver loves.......
We all must understand that our scene is great but it does have some things wrong with it, and tho it may be impossible for us to change all the bad things we can help by passing along the good things to all that wish to experience them
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Peace........RuRu

i agree, very stupid letter...doesn;t seem to be like any rave i've been too...
and who the hell wears Tommy and Polo gear to a rave?!

WHILE I AGREE WITH EVERYONE THAT THIS IS A VERY UN-PLUR THING TO WRITE OR EVEN PROMOTE, I THINK THAT WE CAN FIND SOME TRUTH TO THIS "RAVER-LOVE." I HAVE A TON OF FRIENDS WHO FIT THE BILL OF THAT "JOKE" ESPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT A NEW GIRLFRIEND EVERY PARTY/LETS GET MARRIED. STEALING CLOTHES...ETC. I'M SORRY IF I SOUND A LITTLE TOO PARENTAL. I'VE BEEN IN THE SCENE A WHILE, SAW A KID O.D. NEW YEARS AT MY FRIENDS Y2K BASH (ETERNITY 5 IN ALBANY NY)
I THINK WE ALL NEED TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW WE ACT OR WE WON'T BE HAVING PARTIES ANYMORE......OR MAYBE IM JUST PARANOID. ANYWAY I THINK I WOULD HAVE BEEN SLIGHTLY OFFENDED HAD THAT MESSAGE POPPED UP IN MY INBOX.
PEACE.

yes yess....this was done in bad taste!
whoever made this is verrry verrry bad man!!
Verry bad man!!

As ususal, AcidBurn's gonna disagree with everyone in the string
smile.gif
Stepper, wtf are you talking about? Take the rave scene seriosly? The rave scene is the last thing that should be taken seriosly. Do you go to raves to be serious? How many of us are really serious about some imaginary "Utopic PLUR Revolution"? This very same revolution has been going on from the communist revolution through the sixties, right up until today. If you do think you'll create some Brave New World with XTC, XOXO's, and Vicks, just wait until you get 'old school'(8 months
smile.gif
). You'll realize its simply our generation's fun idealic pseudo cause (every generation has one). Dont get me wrong, I love raves, and people, and e; but I dont take it too seriosly. Serious people dont do a bunch of drugs and dance like weirdos all night; they wear business suits.
I can see the joke in this letter. It pokes fun at exagerated steriotypes. I can also see the jaded raver who saw too many bad things happen (they will happen to us all if they havnt already). We should all just realize that we do what we do and its pretty ridiculous. Are you really still going to be into all of this when youre 40 /w a family and a carrerr? No way
------------------
peace and knowledge AcidBurn

That's just awful. I'm sorry. What horrible generalizations and slams to make on a group that is typically so fun-loving and non-violent, respectful and tolerant... We're basically harmless. The drugs we do don't make us violent, rude, apathetic, or thoughtless. If we destroy property it's probably at our own parties, by accident even, and it usually stops there. Our loves are noble, I think... music, communion and vibe, dancing, color and beauty... Why the hell would ANYONE have gripes with raver kids? Aren't there other groups, much more obvious in their evil, to target with ignorant slams?
~*~ Ashke ~*~

I didn't find this letter funny at all ... because it's not just one of those hypothetical funny-ha-ha lists of stuff to giggle at - i'm sure it's all true for someone somewhere. It just hurts me. Reminds me of a night I was hanging out with some of the party kids around here, and they were talking about how none of them have a place to live now because the guy they were all 6 staying with just got evicted for having drugs in his apartment, and then the 16 year old runaway's dad showed up and threatened to call the cops on her, and none of them had any money at all, and I almost cried right there because it was all so sad to think things can be that bad, but they still always have drugs. Man, i'm depressing myself. Sorry.
Oh, but then I read RuRu's response - THANK YOU for putting it all into perspective, and reminding me what it is that makes me love all this so much. You put that so well, and I wish I wasn't waiting for February to party again, because I want to experience all the things you mentioned tonight. There is an evil underbelly to this whole scene, but I think it comes from loss of perspective. There is also a bright and beautiful side to the scene, and that is what I love it for - raver love for me is the real true friends I have gained, the better understanding I have of my brother as a person because we party together, how the lovely people have made me feel loved despite recent traumatic personal losses. How I can feel all warm inside from giving a massage to a person I've never met before and just seeing the happy, grateful look in their eyes. I love having a place where generosity is given and returned, without anyone having to ask. I love the feeling of a good house beat in my spine, whether i'm on anything or sober (and watching hundreds of people move in synch to it - isn't THAT one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen?) I love a good party with intense lights and good DJs, and I love lounging around at the afterparty with all my new friends.
Had to think about all the good stuff there is, because that letter, intended as a joke or not, made me feel so sad.
We need a post about what real Bluelight raver love is, just to cheer us all up.
- PLUR PLUR PLUR -
- aby

I think the thing that has scorned the author of this "joke" must have been a female raver....or maybe he just perceives ALL women as whores and cheap sluts?
The only people I know who have had abortions, STDs, and stories about waking up next to a stranger were all binge drinkers. I can remember at least 2 drunk girls acting like desperate sluts at every single "drinkers" party I've ever been to, but I cannot recall seeing any doing it on e.
[This message has been edited by E Bee (edited 07 January 2000).]

I'm going to agree with AcidBurn on this one. I really don't see the big deal. I was written by someone who doesn't really know whats going on. If they think thats what its like, then they've got a real fucked up life, or maybe spend too much time in front of the TV.
We should all just lighten up. I don't think its very funny, but I'm not going to worry about it. People are going to act like the person in the letter no matter what. They can be a raver, a drunk, a stoner, a cokehead, or even a straight. People are going to do fucked up things, and they are going to treat people in fucked up ways. Its human nature, we see it every day. Just don't be around people like that, and don't treat people like that. I know I've gotten off the point, but just don't worry about it. Take care of you and yours, and lighten up.

Yes, I have seen this post on many message boards and everywhere it has provoked similar responses ...
It is supposed to be ironic and exaggerate (sp?) certain facts, but it IS based on reality. I haven't been partying for insanely long, but long enough to actually know some ppl who act that way - or who will end up that way. It is supposed to show the not-so-candy-rainbows-and-fluffy-bunnies side of raving and give the people who chose not to see the scene in that perspective. Whoever finds this post offensive or not true, I either envy you and wish I could be a part of the scene in your town, or I pity you and have to tell you to look around yourself.
Certainly, this little list applies to a extremely small percentage of raver-kids I know but it should act as a warning where NOT to end up ...
Sorry if this sounds negative but i just had to post what's on my mind ...

Trance: point well taken.
as a matter of fact, I know people headed down that rod myself... perhaps not so extreme (well, maybe) but the fact of the matter is... in my experience, they are no longer ravers.
I understand, and agree with your point of view, to an extent, but at the same time, I think that this post gives the vast majority... (well maybe no the VAST majority) of us a bad name... to say this is "Raver Love" even satiricly, I personaly find offencive.
Especialy concidering the way that stepper69 recieved it, and interpreted it... concider for a second, someone who didn't KNOW about ravers, and raving read that post... it creates a steriotype which is, frankly, inacurate.
I apreciate that you could take the time, and effort to say what's on your mind. that is what Bluelight is all about. Keep it up. I think that we should ALL use our voices a little more. (not nessisarily on bluelight... we are all pretty open and PLUR here.)
------------------
"Like a shooting star,
Accross the midnight sky!"
-BANG!
PaRaDoX -and PLUR for all!

Well, I appreciate ALL of your responses no matter which way you made your mind up.
ROTTEN-tell me something I DON'T know. I think every person realizes that there are f'ed up people in the world. That doesnt make this letter OK...what if someone wrote some letter to an animal rights group "joking" about how that person loves to torture animals for hours, even days on end. Do you think they would laf and roll around on the floor? Or how about this....someone has unprotected sex w/ a girl and gives her AIDS, and then writes a "joking" letter to her about how its so fun to pass AIDS to people, and the salutation reads...."welcome to the wonderful world of AIDS".....I dunno if that pertains to the subject but I think you catch my drift. Raving is something I have been passionate about since I started, passion=love=caring. I CARE. I dont want to see people in a negative frame of mind.....We have to deal w/ negativity all to often...don't you agree. That is why we all have to search for positivity...negativity comes naturally like you said. Its tooo easy to be negative and accept negativity....I for one don't need EXTRA negativity. If you are a negative person thats fine w/ me, just stay the fuck away from me. Or better yet, come and party w/ me and I will give you some of my positivity...maybe it'll rub off on you. I am not in anyway trying to dis you, I am simply stating my beliefs...plz dont take offense.
ACIDBURN-I have been raving since 1994. I lived in Germany for 2 years and that is where I started. It is a completely different scene over there as far as vibe and people are concerned. It was there where I learned to give PLUR. They didnt call it that, in fact they didnt give it a name. It was there I decided to make this a way of life for myself. Whether using drugz the whole time, or not, it doesn't matter. And yes, maybe I will still be raving when I am 40 (call me a liar...call me what you want....it is very likely that I will still have some type of association w/ raving when I am 40) w/ a family and career (of which I already have as an IBM O/S390 mainframe analyst). I am a toys r' us kid, I dont wanna grow up....even tho I have to grow up......I will always have the hyper-active 8 year old at heart. Call me what you want....tell me how I think....say whatever makes you feel good ACIDBURN.....I choose what information to process....I control my destiny. You can't take the way I feel about raving and the scene away from me. I AM SERIOUS WHEN I SAY I AM SERIOUS ABOUT OUR SCENE. That doesn't mean that I go to parties and get in peoples faces cuz they are joking around and having a good time...shit thats what its always been about....in fact 98% of the time I joke, have fun, and laf w/ them. You totally misunderstood me on the seriousness tip...lol. And no, I know for a fact that a "UTOPIC PLUR Revolution" cant occur....things like that cant be perfect...I am not living in a fantasy world here...lol...in fact I just want it to be a groovy (lol) time for me and my friends, and anybody for that matter, everytime I go out. That is what raving is for. Anybody who thinks that any scenario CAN be perfect is trying to live out an unrealistic fantasy. Our scene has already lasted longer than, what a lot of people compare it to, DISCO. I want to see it go on way after I am gone...cuz ne one who accepts raving for face value will love it just like we do. And if it doesn't, oh well, I had a kick ass time doin it. And if you dont care about the welfare of our scene...then fine...I want something to believe in, passionately, besides GOD. To me you sound just a tad bit (not sarcastic in any way) negative...maybe you too should come party w/ me and I will show you what a REAL raver is all about
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
.....lol. I appreciate your alternate view on this subject ACIDBURN, and I respect your opinion.
EVERYBODY ELSE-I do agree that there in fact is a dark side to the scene, it can be very dark at times. But, I don't sit there and say "oh, this shit is str8 up evil, I need to go to church tomorrow"...lol. I identify that dark side and accept it and let it flo, cuz there is no stopping it. But, I let the positive side flo harder and faster, that way I stay positive and those around me stay positive. I just feel that this "real raver love" negativity is completely unnecessary, cuz like I said b4, there exists too much negativity already. And yes, I DO realize that a lot, if not all of that BS in "real raver love" is true, but that doesnt mean I have to be cool w/ it and not give a shit, cuz I DO give a shit. Raving, for the most part, is VERY positive, and the world needs positivity, it already possesses too much negativity. Give PLUR and positivity out like you would anything else you love to share w/ people, a big smile works wonders, a heartfelt hugg can feel like a miracle sometimes, and compassion and understanding for peoples downfalls does good for everyone.
Thanks again for ALL of your guys input. It made me feel a lot better.
LATER!
PLUR!
stepper69
[This message has been edited by Thestepper69 (edited 08 January 2000).]

Something I forgot, this list was written as a counter-list to a 'true' Raver Love list (which is ach so cute ...), and IMO these two lists should always be posted together, kind of like ying-yang ... maybe then it would show people what point the 'evil' Raver Love list is trying to bring across. I'll try to find the original list and post it, maybe it'll make more sense then. I'm pretty sure the 'evil' raver love list wasn't meant to be taken seriously ... 'cause if it was, I can not see how anyone can think that way of pawteekidz ...
and you ppl @ bluelight are really a bunch of awesome kidz ... I just stumbled upon the board tonite but i can already feel the positive vibe radiating from almost every single post =)

RIGHT ON PARADOX! He got it dead on, in my opinion.
The Ashke & Wagnalls dictionary clearly states that anyone who DOES find themselves similar to the joke's stereotypes is NOT a raver.
~*~ Ashke ~*~