• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

I don't like Christianity any more.

bird.is.the.word

Bluelighter
When I was a kid I went to a kind of religious school. Every couple of months - or maybe it was twice a year, it doesn't matter - we had to sing hymns and shit. My high school had a massive church. We had religious education class. I guess it was a religious school but it wasn't like Catholic school. Hence the "kind of".

I hated Jesus when I was in school. I used to scratch swastikas into the pews and replace words in hymns with Satan and various curse words. My friends and me, we thought we were really clever. We used to give the religious education teachers hell.

Then, I got into drugs and I found God. Not in the religious sense. I don't mean the fake version that priests claim to experience. I mean I actually found God and we sat down (so to speak) and had a conversation.

Religious texts took on a different meaning. I understood them, all of a sudden. Throughout history, other people had found God and tried to document their experience. Trying to explain God in worldly terms is impossible. It's like trying to build a pyramid with syrup. This why all religions are different.

I looked back at myself in high school and realized how childish and ignorant I had been. I thought I knew everything back then. My assumption, therefore, was: perhaps everything I know is wrong?

I returned to the Bible with an open mind and found a lot of beauty in those pages. It is a wonderful book. Jesus - whether or not he is real - is a great story. Unfortunately, he is also the biggest false idol of all time.

A man cannot be God. He was just a man. Worshipping men is idolatry.

Christianity is full of idols (Christ, Mary & the Pope among others).

Jesus said something like, "I am the son of God and you are my brothers and sisters." So, why is he on a pedestal?

Islam & Christianity both break the 2nd commandment. So does Buddhism to some extent, even though there is no God. It doesn't serve a path towards enlightenment to worship men or women. Worshipping a man because he is wise is like worshipping a man because he looks like Ryan Reynolds. People shouldn't be treated according to rank.

I don't like the submissive aspect of Christianity. It comes from the God experience, where you have to give in. This is why Christian people say you have to accept Jesus when you die. It's not Jesus. It's death. You have to accept death and go into the hands of God, which is much harder said than done. Death is terrifying. God is terrifying. The whole thing is incredibly overwhelming. So overwhelming that it becomes hell if you try to resist it.

It's like trying to stop a trip, but a billion times worse. This is where the idea of hell comes from, but - like everything else - it has been lost in translation.

We don't have to submit in life.

People shouldn't bow down.

When the denominator is infinity, everything equals zero.

I don't need to worship Jesus.

I already know how to die.

Fuck Jesus. I'm going to worship me.

It's hardly original. Think what you want, believe what you want. True Christians aren't gonna argue with you and a lot of the rest of us think : Ho Hum, whatever ...

It's a very common way of thinking in the modern world and it's been discussed to the point where it's become like beating a dead horse. Did you think that this is a startling new way of thinking?

I like Catholics - im not like super religious or anything either - but i like it all - the churches are cool

my Grandmother was super Catholic - so it reminds me of her - she wasn't pushy or anything - she was just a devout Catholic

Italians are kinda a little more laid back about it....like the Latinos usually are - that's why we're buddies

Roman Catholics

but yea my Grandmother passed away about 6 years ago, and i have all of her Catholic statues and rosary beads and pictures

i buy a Catholic calendar every year too - she always had one - reminds me of her

ive never read the bible - too boring for me

idk - but i like it

i listen to Slayer - doesn't mean i don't like Catholics or even Christians

born agains are a little too out there for me

Roman Catholics are my ppl :rockon:

Cheshire_Kat said:
Did you think that this is a startling new way of thinking?

No. Pretty much nothing is original. I always assume that nothing I think of is original. This is obviously not even a contender. It is obvious, in retrospect. Why did you think I thought it was original? Did I word it in such a way? (If so, I didn't mean to.)

When I was a kid I went to a kind of religious school. Every couple of months - or maybe it was twice a year, it doesn't matter - we had to sing hymns and shit. My high school had a massive church. We had religious education class. I guess it was a religious school but it wasn't like Catholic school. Hence the "kind of".

I hated Jesus when I was in school. I used to scratch swastikas into the pews and replace words in hymns with Satan and various curse words. My friends and me, we thought we were really clever. We used to give the religious education teachers hell.

Then, I got into drugs and I found God. Not in the religious sense. I don't mean the fake version that priests claim to experience. I mean I actually found God and we sat down (so to speak) and had a conversation.

Religious texts took on a different meaning. I understood them, all of a sudden. Throughout history, other people had found God and tried to document their experience. Trying to explain God in worldly terms is impossible. It's like trying to build a pyramid with syrup. This why all religions are different.

I looked back at myself in high school and realized how childish and ignorant I had been. I thought I knew everything back then. My assumption, therefore, was: perhaps everything I know is wrong?

I returned to the Bible with an open mind and found a lot of beauty in those pages. It is a wonderful book. Jesus - whether or not he is real - is a great story. Unfortunately, he is also the biggest false idol of all time.

Christianity is full of idols (Christ, Mary & the Pope among others).

Jesus said something like, "I am the son of God and you are my brothers and sisters." So, why is he on a pedestal?

Islam & Christianity both break the 2nd commandment. So does Buddhism to some extent, even though there is no God. It doesn't serve a path towards enlightenment to worship men or women. Worshipping a man because he is wise is like worshipping a man because he looks like Ryan Reynolds. People shouldn't be treated according to rank.

I don't like the submissive aspect of Christianity. It comes from the God experience, where you have to give in. This is why Christian people say you have to accept Jesus when you die. It's not Jesus. It's death. You have to accept death and go into the hands of God, which is much harder said than done. Death is terrifying. God is terrifying. The whole thing is incredibly overwhelming. So overwhelming that it becomes hell if you try to resist it.

It's like trying to stop a trip, but a billion times worse. This is where the idea of hell comes from, but - like everything else - it has been lost in translation.

We don't have to submit in life.

People shouldn't bow down.

When the denominator is infinity, everything equals zero.

I don't need to worship Jesus.

I already know how to die.

Fuck Jesus. I'm going to worship me.
Jesus was a man but he was awakened human being among many who weren’t. That is why they worshipped him and called him god and created absolutes around him. We have that today even. There is many people who reach a certain level of awareness and people worship them because they have achieved a more objective perspective of reality than most are willing to put the effort into. Granted, they might use this achieved perspective to manipulate people and create cults and stuff like that, but nonetheless, it is possible to attain Christ consciousness and that is the same phenomenon that happened with Jesus only he used his perspective for good and to help elevate people even though they had no idea what the fuck he was talking about and twisted his teachings and filtered it through their own limited understanding.

The consciousness that Jesus was using was Christ consciousness. Just to be clear that wasn’t his last name. Christ only means messiah which only means king. King consciousness is basically just opening up your crown chakra and ascending to higher forms of consciousness until you eventually are able to tap into other dimensions and have better understanding of this 3 dimensional reality that we are imbedded in. But in conjunction to that, you have to act in the principle of love and go in the direction of love and unity for it to have a genuine outcome for humanity. Or else you end up abusing your power and end up like Charles Manson or someone like that.

I'm not really sure you understand the basic meaning of christianity.
it's not about worshipping anyone,
being the Son of God means another thing.
it means it's the One who is the example of what God is, so if Jesus teaches Love then God is shown as being Love. You can consider that there was another Messiahs, but what Christianism says is simple, there's no better example of what God is than Christ. Surely you can learn things from Mahoma, Bodhidharma or your favourite musician.. but that's not the point.
That means that if you get the PATH of Christ you get into the path of God, which is the path of Love.
Not about "worshipping" anything. You can only Love God, so that means, you can only love the love in it's 3 representations: the Spirit, the Flesh (Christ as an example of life), the Source. But, practically, you only need to love, that's core Christianity. Pope and all that... it's human history, politics and so on.

Don't worship yourself, it's arrogant and childish.

The consciousness that Jesus was using was Christ consciousness. Just to be clear that wasn’t his last name. Christ only means messiah which only means king. King consciousness is basically just opening up your crown chakra and ascending to higher forms of consciousness until you eventually are able to tap into other dimensions and have better understanding of this 3 dimensional reality that we are imbedded in.
The thing it's hard to accept.
I think that even if you consider non-dualism like advaita-vedanta or you despise manicheism because you consider that good-evil are human concepts... I think that doesn't change a thing. As we are human we live in dualistic nature, we cannot do too much to avoid that, it's our nature. Surely the nature of good and evil are not what we can GRASP, it's bazillion times more simple or more complex, or all at the same time. We just cannot go into another territory, we can also grasp, have a little glimpse of non-duality, as a breeze, as a feeling of transcending for a moment or maybe for a life (of a few) that human nature that we are bound to...
but, eventually, in the planetary time-space, that's what we got. And I think manicheism is not that wrong when they understand the dualistic forces like in a fight, it really seems a fight, even if it's written that Love and Wisdom cannot lose the fight, but the other part surely has their own "kind of" autonomy and it wants to gain its place, fighting, so we need to do something about it.
Only naïve people don't see this, that's the reason we are in such political, societal and civilizational turmoil where Big Pharma, bankers and all that scum want to take the world... it's simple, they are not followers of Wisdom or Love, they're dark-as-fuck greedy bastards that only think about themselves and consider themselves greatest than anything else ever existed. I think it's easy to spot who they would worship, because they are similar to...

Last edited:
@Neuroborean

I'm not really sure you understand the basic meaning of christianity.

Christians don't understand the basic meaning of Christianity.

it's not about worshipping anyone,

I agree. They should stop worshipping people.

@thujone

Yeah there was like a whole generation of people who had this same epiphany... what was it that we called them?

I assume this is rhetorical but I have no idea what the answer is.

Millennials? Boomers?

Again, I'm not claiming this is an original idea.

Christianity doesn't exist without Christians. So, yes, what Christians believe influence my perception of the religion. I separate the Abrahamic religions from the Bible. I like Christianity in theory, but it's sort of like communism.

The Jesus freaks are committing idolatry, largely due to misinterpretations of scripture.

I don't like Christianity any longer. I still like the Bible.

I don't like Christianity any longer. I still like the Bible.
Agreed. I can pull my own wisdom out of the Bible and don't need hypocritical religious people telling me their Selfish interpretation. It is amazing how people can twist things to a selfish angle. But if it leaves out kindness to other human beings then the message is not correct. You can tell deep down when something is hypocritical. I use that guidance.

I love that Bob Dylan song, "it may be the devil or it may be the lord but your gonna have to serve somebody". Because there is no escape from that. I think what is served is based off of integrity. We all know what we have to do. And respect goes to those with integrity.

My #1 problem with Christianity, or organized religion in general, has always been preachers.

The man that claims to know more about God than you do. The man who claims to be more pure than you. The man that tells you how to know God. The man who tells you how you should interpret the Bible. He is an obstruction to my connection with God.

They tell you how to think. They tell you how to act. They tell you how to believe.

People should come to their own conclusions. People should have a direct, unobstructed, relationship with God without someone standing in the way telling you how to do it.

Christianity is just as fallible as that man who is preaching it to you... and man is a highly fallible creature and prone to corrupt biased thinking.

Growing up, the hypocrisy of humans was my main turnoff to religion.

I'm not a fan of any human institution, and the various large religious organizations are included. The bigger and older they are, the more likely they are to be corrupt at the top.

But I can be a fan of Jesus and what he taught without buying into popes or TV preachers.

It is unfortunate that most people think of Christianity when they think of Christ. All these zombie Jesus freaks have destroyed his image.

I don't believe Jesus ever claimed to be God. He wasn't literal when he said father. The Hebrew word Abba means God as a father figure. We say mother nature. Nobody thinks nature is literally a squirrel's mother. Nature is all of our mothers. God is all of our fathers.

Gendered parental roles are a poor choice, but these were simpler times. People need reference points in order to understand other people's experiences, but the God experience is ineffable. It cannot be experienced vicariously.

Smug critics of the Bible take it literally because it's easier to criticize that way. I used to do this in school.

One of the stupidest (and most obvious) criticisms of stories in the old testament is: you can't fit two of every animal on an ark. No shit.

Most Christians also take parts of the Bible literally because they are taught to from a very early age. The story of Jesus is prone to literal interpretations. Personally, I'm not convinced he was a historical figure. Jesus was a very common name. It doesn't matter, though. His message is the same. Which brings me to another point: I actually think he's super over-rated as philosopher.

The majority of my favourite passages come from The Old Testament. The New Testament gets way more attention than it deserves because people believe it literally happened exactly as it was written... which is weird considering the gospels contradict each other.

It only matters if Jesus was a real person if you think he was literally the son of God. Otherwise - if he was a real man - the only thing that matters are his words. The events of his life are more meaningful as parable; as art. This is why (even if he was a real man) the gospels contradict each other. There may have been a man called Jesus, but he didn't perform miracles. The Incredible Hulk doesn't exist either.

I'm just really sick of the right-wing fundamental/evangelical (99% white) MAGA so-called Christians.

Like Jesus would love racism & guns.

Well, Jesus was a Jew and made statements that would be considered racist in today's times both about his own and other peoples. He also did not preach vegetarianism or pacifism like many Indian gurus so one can assume gun ownership is acceptable for Christians.

However, as someone who was much more drawn to Orthodox and Catholic versions of Christianity I am not the biggest fan of American evangelicalism either. For anyone interested in learning more about Christianity, I would recommend looking back at its roots, studying church history, reading the desert fathers, the monastics and saints and getting an idea of what Christianity was originally about. Prior to that, I would recommend avoiding all modern day protestant sects.

Personal choise...or destiny..Any form of religion beliefes.It's work for you.Forbanothrt is something else.and have material view-artefacts from the past,"biblical archeology"...it's mixed of lot a science into-antropology,archeology,mytology...etc.It's not only about the myth