• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I don’t know if I can smoke weed anymore

Weed is like kryptonite for me. You can throw mostly anything at me (cocaine, heroin, oxys, benzos ) and I m cool, I ve done shrooms recently and had fun, but three or 4 puff of weed and I m fucked, sometimes my drummer convinces me to smoke and in the best case scenario I m sleepy and hungry, in the worst I get all paranoid and I question everything I ve done in the last..26 years. I used to smoke a lot of hash and weed since I was 14 to when I was 26 but that s just the way it is , some can smoke weed til the day they die, some others ( the majority of the people I know) at some point will have to stop. I wonder if it s a chemical thing or the fact that the older we get the more our attitude toward drugs and what we want from them changes....

Weed is like kryptonite for me. You can throw mostly anything at me (cocaine, heroin, oxys, benzos ) and I m cool, I ve done shrooms recently and had fun, but three or 4 puff of weed and I m fucked, sometimes my drummer convinces me to smoke and in the best case scenario I m sleepy and hungry, in the worst I get all paranoid and I question everything I ve done in the last..26 years. I used to smoke a lot of hash and weed since I was 14 to when I was 26 but that s just the way it is , some can smoke weed til the day they die, some others ( the majority of the people I know) at some point will have to stop. I wonder if it s a chemical thing or the fact that the older we get the more our attitude toward drugs and what we want from them changes....
Oh wow that’s interesting. Thank you for sharing your experience :) 💜

I still haven't smoked weed since December

:tiebow:
I ve smoked last...Sunday and I had to eat a giant pepperoni pizza from Domino+ snort a couple of grams of coke + throw the odd Clonazepam in the mix to feel remotely human again. I would LOVE to smoke and be happy, way safer than the shit I m up to, but what you gonna do....

I'm the exact same. Smoked daily from age 13 to 29, loved every bit of it, then something changed in my brain.

The 2 main negative things weed does to me now is anxiety, and like you said, uncomfortable and looping negative thoughts. I will start getting confused about basic things like human behavior, both my own and others. Negative memories of my past will loop through my head endlessly. It's almost like a dissociative/derealization state, it reminds me somewhat of dissociative drugs.

I can still eat high doses of acid or other drugs and not have a single anxiety or bad thought, but weed is like kryptonite.

This change seems to be commom in people around age 30. I've seen some research on it. Long term cannabis use, especially from a young age, can make brain alterations such as sensitizing the GABA system.

This makes sense for me since I can enjoy weed if I have alcohol or benzos in my system, it feels normal like it did in the past.

I still vape every now and then. I can take 1 puff and sometimes enjoy it, but any more than that and it just makes me uncomfortable.

I just posted a very similar thread entitled "Reverse Tolerance to Cannabis" before reading yours!

When I was younger, I could smoke my brains out to the point where I was almost hallucinating. Now the tiniest little hit sends me into an instant panic attack.

I've decided that it's time for me to break up with May Jane. :cry:

You're not alone, my friend.

I just posted a very similar thread entitled "Reverse Tolerance to Cannabis" before reading yours!

When I was younger, I could smoke my brains out to the point where I was almost hallucinating. Now the tiniest little hit sends me into an instant panic attack.

I've decided that it's time for me to break up with May Jane. :cry:

You're not alone, my friend.
Yea this is for sure a breakup! like you say. Are you still not smoking Dreamflyer?
This is the longest I’ve ever gone without, it’s almost been two months. Ay Dios mio! I kinda want to though, but I don’t want to get anxiety & also want to see how long I can keep going.
It feels weird kinda & then other times not
I wonder if I keep going without if I’ll see anymore changes or if this is it. I just smoked so many decades so who knows. I’m still having trouble eating a little bit & sometimes feel hyper.
Oh well I guess I’ll see what happens lol
Hugs 💜

I ve been almost daily and since late 2019. Used to smoke some at 16, 17, really into it at 18,19,20, then didn't touch it from 20-35. Slowly , did it at 36,37, by 38 was using regular I think. I've taken a couple weeks off here and there. Been smoking three puffs twice a day here and there, sometimes more, sometimes less. Today woke up , Monday and told myself I'm going at least untill Friday without. I find where I get different stuff seems to matter. I find different strains matter. If I smoke ninety percent indica, couch locked. Hybrid 50/50 can go to gym.

What does long-term use do to gaba receptors? Is it thc doing this?

What about l theanine? Many people have taken this supplement for sleep , for years. This effects gaba.

I'm not saying I won't smoke again bc I have had an amazing experience recently with it. Other times just didn't do much. Been more about low doses and even micro doses. Makes more sense if system isn't used to it to ease into it. If I smoked a lot I'd be whewwwww. I've heard don't smoke for two weeks then smoke a lot ,then don't smoke for three weeks, but never tried it.

If I'm a bit worried,ocding about someone I love, and worrying ejaculation helps. In this time, no cannabis. Smoking effects cardiovascular, hematocrit and hemoglobin, amount other things. Eating it is healthier. I find sleep is amazing on a high indica eaten before bed in peanut butter, or I'm sure there's many creative recipes, foods to mix it with.

Last edited:
So I've been intentionally trying to raise my tolerance to a level where I can enjoy weed again without getting anxiety and other undesirable effects. It's taken 3 or 4 months, but slowly I got there.

I started at taking 0.01g hits. At this point a 5mg edible was enough to give me psychedelic like effect (unwanted), lots of anxiety, insomnia, etc.

I slowly worked up to taking 0.1g hits, and can now take 25mg edibles and feel just fine, relaxed.

It took a lot longer than I expected, but I can now enjoy weed like I used to in the past.

So I've been intentionally trying to raise my tolerance to a level where I can enjoy weed again without getting anxiety and other undesirable effects. It's taken 3 or 4 months, but slowly I got there.

I started at taking 0.01g hits. At this point a 5mg edible was enough to give me psychedelic like effect (unwanted), lots of anxiety, insomnia, etc.

I slowly worked up to taking 0.1g hits, and can now take 25mg edibles and feel just fine, relaxed.

It took a lot longer than I expected, but I can now enjoy weed like I used to in the past.
its such a common thing for a previous heavy user to believe they cannot enjoy weed anymore because they load up the joint/bong/vape way too much when they come back to it as they used to, when they once had such a high tolerance

at least youve figured this one out

I think it is good for internal feelings, but interpersonal stuff can be a challenge, and that can lead to intense paranoia or just being uncomfortable.
as teanagers and young adults we are expected to be exploring our feelings, but after that people really take stuff too seriously.

It actually helps me with pain and anxiety. True story.
When I have borderline restlessness from the leg cramps it puts me in a warm comfortable place and I can sleep if I need to.
So I am slowly resurfacing. 🐟🌊☔

Hmm.
I started smoking at the age of 12 everyday (35 now) and even in the beginning, I'd get crazy panic attacks from it. I'd smoke with my brother & his friends & I'd be sitting there literally thinking I was dying or going nuts while they all looked relaxed & chill & enjoying themselves. But I always enjoyed the after effects & for some reason continued to smoke it every day to this present day.

I find that if my tolerance to it is high, I don't get as panicky or whacked out. It usually happens if I haven't smoked in a long time.
But even then, I still get anxiety some times, but I've learned to push through it since I know it's just the effect of the drug & that it'll go away.

I think people often forget that cannabis is technically a "hallucinogen" and can do some funny things to your brain, your thinking & the way you process information. Most people just think of weed as something to "relax" but it's a lot more than that.

I'd say using less, smoking a little less & maybe even using lower THC strains would be better without having to quit all the way.
I've always had an anxiety disorder too, so I think that plays a huge part in my case. My ability to go from nothing to freaking out is pretty bad. lol

I've always figured that everybody gets a little anxiety/paranoia when they smoke, but a lot hide it much better in fear of looking like they "can't handle it". lol

I remember having a derealization/depersonalization episode which I think could have been brought out by smoking cannabis so young when I was 15. I just woke up one day & felt like I was high already & the world around me felt "fake", like nothing was real. It was the oddest mental feeling I've ever experienced in my life. It lasted about a week & I didn't smoke much during it. Thankfully I've never had an episode like that again since. But I can't say for sure if smoking weed caused it or not, but it may have.

Last edited:
I get anxiety from other people's weed because of the way it is cured . . . . and of course because I am more familiar with my own personal blends.

lol. And of course it is all our own personal rituals and routines. :bong: Bongs are just too silly sometimes. 🐚🌊

Smoking is a gamble for me. Sometimes its smooth and easy and others its edge-city cyclops. Same bud (or styth) doesnt matter.
Thats probably why i like bnzs i know and get expected effect.

Just don't smoke except with your partner or by yourself. If it gets you nervous even then, just smoke so much you fall asleep. Next day, problem solved. It's like a reset button.
Yess!!!
That's how I do it (when I can afford it or have it anyway).
I just purposely bake my brains out to the point where any time I smoke afterward is just gonna give me the relaxing part & none of the anxiety.
Keep your tolerance high & long enough & smoking weed will become just like smoking a cigarette. lol

I also find that wake n bakes are essential. If I get nice & baked right when I wake up, any subsequent highs later on the day are much more mild.

I didn’t know where to post this. I’ve been smoking weed for years, I started at like age 11 & I’m 39 now, & it’s always been my go to. Between everything else, drug use, medications, me quitting drinking 6 years ago bla bla. Anyways smoking weed has always relaxed me, helped me eat when I can’t, helped migraines ect. I mean I’ve been a regular smoker with MJ in the same way maybe people smoke cigarettes or whatever.
However in the last couple years I sometimes get anxiety when I smoke it sometimes & no clue why as it’s always helped relax a little.

I take other meds & have had some stressful life occurrences so I’ve wondered if that has anything to do with it (like if the mj is just emphasizing how I’m feeling or something) but at the same time I’ve definitely gone through many crazy stressful life circumstances in the past & it didn’t cause anxiety so I don’t know.

I’m confused, have I just smoked so much in my life that … I don’t even know, I’m really not sure what changed. I still haven’t stopped smoking just less. In the last couple years I have noticed when I don’t smoke it I really want to & when I finally do I’m able to eat & sometimes sleep a little later that night. But still have been having the initial anxiety spikes when I first smoke it for a little until the benefits of me being able to eat & stuff kick in.

It’s always been part of my morning, have a coffee or tea & smoke a little. But the last couple mornings I’ve definitely felt some anxiety spikes after. I mean I guess I should try to cut it out a little more, it’s just a shame because I love weed.

*even last month I ran out of clonazepam early & when I tried to smoke to help it actually made me feel more anxiety?

I don’t know, I figured I’d reach out & ask if anyone’s been through something like this
I’m like you. Started smoking at 12 and was an everyday smoker by 15. I’m 42 now and it doesn’t even get me high anymore. It can also trigger my anxiety, but I use(d) Xanax for that.

Been completely sober for 11 days tho. It’s hard af, but that’s probably more due to the benzos and coke than weed. I can’t wait for my appetite and sleep cycle to normalize. Rn I can’t eat or sleep.

Still haven’t smoked yet
I have REALLY been thinking about it, this is the longest I’ve ever gone
I feel clearer but maybe a little crazier hehe
Missin’ that wake n bake for sure for sure